Not a joke Disney is thinking of a new park! (2003)

Aragorn22

Original Poster
:D Disney is thinking of building a new Disney Theme park in 2010 or 2009 etc. They will be building Monorails everywhere in 2006 (rumors) and they will be building a new Disney cruise line, A New Disney resort, and finally a new Disney water park.
All I know is the new 5th Disney theme park will be built near disney's Wide world of sports. :sohappy: :sohappy:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
While there were plans for a 5th park (which of course will still exist in the offices of WDW someplace), there really is not much chance of a new park happening in Florida any time soon. Animal Kingdom showed how a new park takes attendance away from the other parks, rather than significantly adding attendance to the resort as a whole.

As it currently stands, a lot of the 5th park development budget has been diverted to building new attractions at Epcot (Soarin, Spaceship Earth rehab) and Animal Kingdom (Flicks possibly, and Expedition Everest).

The resort, water park and cruise line I am sure is very possible in that timeframe you mentioned.

PhotoDave219

Re: Not a joke Disney is thinking of a new park!

Originally posted by Aragorn22
:D Disney is thinking of building a new Disney Theme park in 2010 or 2009 etc. They will be building Monorails everywhere in 2006 (rumors) and they will be building a new Disney cruise line, A New Disney resort, and finally a new Disney water park.
All I know is the new 5th Disney theme park will be built near disney's Wide world of sports. :sohappy: :sohappy:

I'm still not touching this.....

jmarc63

To be compleatly honest here, All these plans have been touted about at one time or another in the past, Just that they haven't happened yet, and Disney won't announce anything official untill after construction starts, so this isnt really new just the year that will happen is the real rumor, so it;s really not IF but WHEN and that could be another 10 years before these happen

disneydawg

A New Disney resort

Could this be Eagle Pines? That seemed to go from concept art to dead in about a millisecond. Unless I'm mistaken and Eagle Pines became Saratoga Springs. But I always thought SS was just a rehab of the old Institute.

niteobsrvr

Re: Re: Not a joke Disney is thinking of a new park!

Originally posted by disneydawg
Could this be Eagle Pines? That seemed to go from concept art to dead in about a millisecond. Unless I'm mistaken and Eagle Pines became Saratoga Springs. But I always thought SS was just a rehab of the old Institute.

Saratoga Springs is being built instead of Eagle Pines. After the tourism drop off, work was halted on Eagle Pines for cost reasons. A lot of new infrastruture would have needed to be built such as power, sewer, water and roadways. All very expensive things to build. They also started to take into consideration how fast the current inventory of Disney Vacation Club locations were quickly being depleted.

By switching the project to Disney Institute/ Saratoga Springs, they eliminated the need to add large amounts of infrastructue as well as replace an under-performing property with something that will actually appeal to the guests. Thus producing a cost savings for the company for the time being and allowing them to quickly increase the DVC inventory.

I dont imagine Eagle Pines will be on hold forever. However, construction will probalby not resume until the Saratoga Springs Project is complete and projections on its inventory depletion are made.

AndyP

I think a new water park would be excellent, it would get people to go back to WDW and also wouldn't fraw from other parks (maybe a water park) and also it would compliment all the new attractions.

Andy

daksimba

Theme Park operations for the last quarter dropped, so I seriously doubt that 5th Gate is on the plans right now.

New parks are always in "the plans" as the orginal plan for WDW had 7 parks planned. But it would be overkill right now. Besides, most of the plans have been to put Epcot into pretty much a new park (Project Gemini)

Same for the resorts. With Pop Century Phase I and the new DVC resort opening soon (I forget the name of it.) they won't need anything new for a while.

As for being built near Wide World...........Not much room there for a new park.

Monorail expansion, too expensive.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
methinks there's little to no veracity behind this rumour....

mattravels

Disney definitely does NOT need another water park at this time

I'm not so sure about that.......when I went to Blizzard Beach in April...it was SO crowded that we couldn't find a place to sit for 30 minutes. Though...I have not been to any other water parks. We're usually not there long enough to enjoy the other water parks.

I seriously doudt that a new park will begin constuction in 2009 or 2010. I belive that more money needs to be put into the already existing parks, rather that taking out a huge chunk and build an new park. If a new park begins construction i think it will be about 2015 at the earliest. Disney needs to put more though into already existing stuff rather than brand new stuff. :D

ToTBellHop

This discussion begs the question: how big is TOO big? There is an invisible ceiling on how much time and money people are willing to spend at Disney World, and at present, you already need more than a week there to really see and do all of the MAJOR stuff, let alone all of the other extras around the resort. As much as we would all love new parks, resorts, and water parks, I don't want to see Disney over-expand, like they did with the Disney Stores, and become too large to even be able to keep all parks open every day. Again, there is an invisible ceiling on how far they can expand, one which I think they are getting rather close to as we see, as Steve said, Animal Kingdom not attracting many new guests, but only leeching guests away from the other three Theme Parks. I, personally, am very pleased with all of the offerings at Walt Disney World right now, and would rather see some work going into the existing parks, as others have mentioned. After riding Mission: SPACE, it is clear there is MUCH which can be done for the existing properties. I think more than a new waterpark, I'd like to see our existing water parks expanded upon, and they could do the same with the existing Resorts--there isn't a big need for completely new resorts right now, but maybe some additions to the current ones might be in order. As opposed to seeing a new Theme park with four or five awesome E-Rides, I'd rather see that money used to add a fantastic new E-Ride and a couple lower class rides (C or D) to each of the parks--and that seems to be the route Disney is taking.

Originally posted by mattravels

I'm not so sure about that.......when I went to Blizzard Beach in April...it was SO crowded that we couldn't find a place to sit for 30 minutes. Though...I have not been to any other water parks. We're usually not there long enough to enjoy the other water parks.

One day being crowded or even a few months doesn't warrant the cost of a new water park. Most of the time the other water park sits in mothballs for several months during the cool months, and the open park usually has about twenty cars during this time. If anything, they should rehab and upgrade River Country and open it during the peak summer months to alleviate any of the "potential" summertime crowding before building a new water park.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
One day being crowded or even a few months doesn't warrant the cost of a new water park. Most of the time the other water park sits in mothballs for several months during the cool months, and the open park usually has about twenty cars during this time. If anything, they should rehab and upgrade River Country and open it during the peak summer months to alleviate any of the "potential" summertime crowding before building a new water park.

River Country isn't ever going to reopen as it was...I say just expand the existing two parks--that wouldn't require very many more CMs, but would greatly raise the capacities of Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Add a few more slides and a LOT more beach chairs, and it'd be all good!

DisneyFan 2000

I really hate the idea of a new theme park (except DisneySeas :lol: ) because it just takes away oportunitty for new attractions at the excisting parks!!!! I like the way parks are expanding lately and it boosts attendance and doesn't divide it to different places (makes any sence?)!!! I would like Disney to fix up DAK, add attractions to MGM, put a new E-Ride at the Magic Kingdom (long time no see :lol: :lol: ) and add another country to Epcot expand the water parks!!! Phew........ dreamed for a while!!!:lol: :lol: ..... To the point... A new park is no good at the moment... maybe 2020???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom