Norway Viking ship play area to be demolished

hpyhnt 1000

Really? Why? So whats going in its place? From the way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if its a DVC cart. :hurl: :brick: I could understand (kinda) why it was closed, but honestly, do they have to get rid of it? :veryconfu

Enigma

Account Suspended
Good that viking plaything was cluttering the area and it looked bad. I remember the area looked alot better before they added it.

I believe it was a pretty recent addition to around 2001 or so but to me it was just like that garish wand.

Lance

DVC cart > Viking ship playground infested with rugrats

Can we get rid of Kidcot too... if its still called that... I don't like my World Showcase being kiddied up!

jakeman

Good that viking plaything was cluttering the area and it looked bad. I remember the area looked alot better before they added it.

I believe it was a pretty recent addition to around 2001 or so but to me it was just like that garish wand.
Never thought I would agree with you, but I do.

My issue was, it just wasn't a fun plaything. It was a boat with some ropes. It will be interesting to see what goes there in its place. Hopefully a bigger waiting area for the bathrooms or more seating for the bakery.

Lance said:
Can we get rid of Kidcot too... if its still called that... I don't like my World Showcase being kiddied up!
Well, I somewhat doubt it is your World Showcase, and Kidcot is well needed at the moment. However, I could see it being replaced by the Kim Possible game (or do you have to pay extra for that?).

I would think it would make more sense to remove the play area type stuff on it and just keep it there for decoration as a Viking ship. But either way it's not a major loss to me.

aladdin2007

Maybe they are getting ready to build a new country there between Norway and Mexico. I know HA HA right, not happening.

While the viking ship did look pretty good though with the Norwegian atmosphere it has turned into a bit of an eye soar over time just being let go. Will miss it, now only if we could dekiddyfi Akershus. What a zoo inside and out!

mickey&me

Okay, I usually don't reply to threads like this, but...

I really don't care why the so-called play area is being removed; the most we ever did was take a picture there anyway. But I can't believe the attitudes that are on display here! Come on, folks. WDW is a vacation destination. And when families go on vacation, they usually take their kids. That means that there will be kids at the vacation destinations. And when the destination is as major as WDW, there are going to be lots of kids. Having Kidcot and character dining removed from Epcot is not going to make the kids go away. Since we are (supposedly) the grown-ups, it's up to us to deal with our feelings in a mature way, and leave the whining to the kids.

If anyone had written about another group being an infestation, he would have shouted down as a bigot. But all's fair toward kids and Brazilian tour groups, I guess.

Phonedave

I personaly will miss the ship.

I am part Norwegian, and by extension - so are my kids. They allways enjoyed going on the ship, and were upset when it was closed. It was not really a "play" area, but the kids would go on it while parents went to the bathrooms. It gave the kids a chance to run around in an out of the way area where they were not going to run into anyone. It did look nice in its heyday, but sadly has been looking pretty shabby lately.

Hopefully it will be replaced with something interesting and in theme with Norway, but with Disney providing all the funding for this pavillion, I don't see that happening. I also don't see the princesses leaving Akershus untill Norway comes back and hosts the pavillion again, and kicks them out. Eric the Red could stage a raid from the Stave Church and oust them all.

-dave

ToTBellHop

not a huge loss--especially since we haven't been able to actually go into the ship for years. Probably got sick of people asking why there was a ship inexplicably stuck in the dirt, rotting.

Scar

If I am reading correctly, the entire ship will now be gone.

Really, once they closed the ship a couple of years ago, there was no reason to have it. It was fun while open but no reason for it now.

NadieMasK2

Hmm. The ship adds to the theming of the area. I don't care about the play ground being eliminated but I do hope that whatever takes it's place is clearly Norwegian in theme.

CLandrum

DVC cart > Viking ship playground infested with rugrats

WOW! I am going to hope that this was a sarcastic comment but something tells me it was not. Shame on you. The kidcot area's are out of the way and are a great learning spot. From just what my daughter learned from talking with the people that run these area's she was able to write a two page paper and she is only eight. I really hope that there are not more people out there that say such rediculous comments so that these area's would get shut down. Enjoy life and remember one day these rugrats will be running our country, I hope your comments don't come back to haunt you.:wave:

paul436

Many people travel to WDW with children (obviously). In order for parents who enjoy World Showcase with the little ones, something has to be there for their interest as well. When my children were small, they enjoyed playing on the Viking ship and it was a welcome relief for my wife and I to sit down for a bit while the kids ran around. For me it's important to remember that WDW is for kids of all ages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom