Nooooo!!

21stamps

Original Poster
IMG_3597.jpg

This makes me so sad. Stole this photo from social media.. I don't go until Friday, not looking forward to seeing this in person.

I might switch to Fresh Market exclusively.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sorry, I love Whole Foods and have been shopping there for over a decade.. hate to see Amazon turn it into a Walmart.

I don't shop at Whole Foods because their prices are too high. I heard that the Amazon connection may actually lower prices on some of the food staples, so that should be a good thing for you. :) (Maybe just ignore unrelated ads that are not about food, and just head straight for the real food. That's what I'd do--in any market--I love food. :D.)

Also, I doubt they'd turn it into a Walmart. I'm sure Amazon is savvy enough to know that their targeted customer base is a bit more upscale, with discerning tastes.

Souvenir

Sorry, I love Whole Foods and have been shopping there for over a decade.. hate to see Amazon turn it into a Walmart.
I'm trying not to jump to conclusions and I'm going to give it a chance, but I like my local Whole Foods exactly as it is. I can't imagine how they can lower the prices and keep the same quality that they've always had. I shop there because every single department is superior to what is available in other grocery stores. I have many choices in the area where I live and I don't need or want another generic experience.
Furthermore, my Whole Foods is already so crowded on the weekends that more people really can't fit inside it so I don't see why they need to broaden their customer base in the first place.

Goofyernmost

I gave Whole Foods a chance once. I walked in, looked around, saw the prices and walked back out. They had their chance and they blew it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I gave Whole Foods a chance once. I walked in, looked around, saw the prices and walked back out. They had their chance and they blew it.

Another thing that bugged me about (at least my local) Whole Foods was the confusing layout of the store--odd, circular floor plan, with some aisles in a vertical direction and others in a horizontal one. The signage for the aisles is printed in a light colored font, on a light background. I don't have failing eyesight, but I find these difficult to read from even a short distance away.

All the other grocery stores in my area (there are 5 different chains here) have all their aisles facing in one direction, and have very clear, bold-faced signs for each aisle, that make it quick and easy to find what you're looking for.

Goofyernmost

Another thing that bugged me about (at least my local) Whole Foods was the confusing layout of the store--odd, circular floor plan, with some aisles in a vertical direction and others in a horizontal one. The signage for the aisles is printed in a light colored font, on a light background. I don't have failing eyesight, but I find these difficult to read from even a short distance away.

All the other grocery stores in my area (there are 5 different chains here) have all their aisles facing in one direction, and have very clear, bold-faced signs for each aisle, that make it quick and easy to find what you're looking for.
Yes, but, it doesn't carry the pretentiousness that Whole Foods does. I'm guessing that along with confusing configurations is worthy of paying the long price. ;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yes, but, it doesn't carry the pretentiousness that Whole Foods does. I'm guessing that along with confusing configurations is worthy of paying the long price. ;)

Because that makes it more of a game, like a maze. So really entertainment and shopping in one place, hence the higher price. ;)

I've only been to a Whole Foods once, just because until the last few months the closest one was 1 1/2 away and even now the closest one is 45 minutes away. I'm not driving that far for just groceries. When I did go there I did notice many prices were higher than my local grocery, even things like boxed mac and cheese. I did buy a couple things in the cheese section and bakery that I haven't seen in my store and were of a reasonable price. I remember there was a large deli type of section that had some interesting items and at ok prices. The croissants I bought there were very good (better than my store's) and on par with the price I pay at the grocery for their croissants.

njDizFan

I'm waiting to go over the weekend. I shop Whole Foods almost exclusively, except for a few of my nasty habits(Diet Pepsi). I can see this as a win, sure there is going to be some Amazon touches but improving the supply chain infrastructure(lowering costs) and having the ability to buy their 365 brands online now is the benefit. Amazon already rules my life, I gave into my corporate overlord long ago.

Souvenir

I'm waiting to go over the weekend. I shop Whole Foods almost exclusively, except for a few of my nasty habits(Diet Pepsi). I can see this as a win, sure there is going to be some Amazon touches but improving the supply chain infrastructure(lowering costs) and having the ability to buy their 365 brands online now is the benefit. Amazon already rules my life, I gave into my corporate overlord long ago.
I didn't realize that the 365 brand was now available online. That definitely interests me. Yes, Amazon is a staple in my life too. 5 Amazon packages expected today. My mailman hates me.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Because that makes it more of a game, like a maze. So really entertainment and shopping in one place, hence the higher price. ;)

Ha! :p

Actually, my hubs likes to get a few special item things at Whole Foods, that he can't find elsewhere. He mentioned to me today that he is seeing some of the prices a bit lower, since Amazon took over. So that sounds positive for people who shop there on a regular basis.

Goofyernmost

Ha! :p

Actually, my hubs likes to get a few special item things at Whole Foods, that he can't find elsewhere. He mentioned to me today that he is seeing some of the prices a bit lower, since Amazon took over. So that sounds positive for people who shop there on a regular basis.
Maybe, but, having the Amazon connection coupled with lower prices will blow the hell out of the status importance of the place. First thing you know it will be a more refined Walmart.

Souvenir

Maybe, but, having the Amazon connection coupled with lower prices will blow the hell out of the status importance of the place. First thing you know it will be a more refined Walmart.
I don't know anyone who has time to worry about their "status" while running weekly errands such as grocery shopping. What I do worry about is feeding my family nourishing meals free of dangerous chemicals and unhealthy additives, something that Whole Foods makes very easy since they have strict rules about what ingredients are allowed to be in the foods they sell.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't know anyone who has time to worry about their "status" while running weekly errands such as grocery shopping. What I do worry about is feeding my family nourishing meals free of dangerous chemicals and unhealthy additives, something that Whole Foods makes very easy since they have strict rules about what ingredients are allowed to be in the foods they sell.

The reasons you shop there sounds like the right reason to shop there, convenience and wanting to feed your family good food with ingredients you approve of. However, there a many people that shop at certain places because of a status thing, like if it costs more it must certainly be the best. Or like having name brand stuff because they think it impresses people. If people are shopping at a certain store just to impress people, that is sad but there are people like that.

trr1

Another thing that bugged me about (at least my local) Whole Foods was the confusing layout of the store--odd, circular floor plan, with some aisles in a vertical direction and others in a horizontal one.
kind of sounds like Wegmans near me

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom