Non-Disney Races

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since “What did you do?” is mostly geared toward training, I thought a thread dedicated to Non-Disney races might be in order so people can post their pics, race reports, bling, etc for the races we do in between everything Disney. Also, if you have any upcoming races that you want to see if other rD folks might be running or might be interested in signing up for, feel free to post those too!

I’ll start 😁. I ran the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K this past weekend in Charleston. It was my first time doing this race (tried last year but it turned virtual). Despite a somewhat limited field (25,000 instead of 40,000+) and post-event festivities, it was still a great event! I finished right around 1:01:00, which I’m pleased with considering I haven’t run a great deal lately.

ABE1AB19-6F3C-434D-A34E-FEB389FFFB9E.jpeg
F7131A10-9486-492E-9640-4795C1660ECE.jpeg

Last edited:

Demarke

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ran the Ray Tanner 12K today (he’s the former Gamecocks baseball coach that won our two national championships about a decade ago); 9:49 pace, a nice tune up for Wine and Dine weekend!

34313678-53B2-467B-AB06-60E0567DF7D1.jpegF6AFDD6B-BCDE-4C35-AFD5-DBE7932C5EA6.jpegC5952D4B-756B-4008-A435-4ED541C4B6C6.jpeg

Demarke

Premium Member
Original Poster
View attachment 599470

I ran NYC this weekend. This race even at 50% of what it normally is in terms of runners was incredible. I have never experienced such an incredible feeling like this. If you have the chance to do NYC do it!
Awesome and congrats! That’s definitely on my list. I don’t think I’ll shave the 1:45:00 of my current marathon time to qualify, but maybe someday with a charity bib. Also, I read somewhere about a draw, but can’t find much info about it (other than that they didn’t do one this year), if there are “lottery” spots available, I may start putting in for it a few times and see if I luck out!

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
View attachment 599470

I ran NYC this weekend. This race even at 50% of what it normally is in terms of runners was incredible. I have never experienced such an incredible feeling like this. If you have the chance to do NYC do it!

I was volunteering at bib pick up for a race this past weekend (10K and 20K options) and spoke with a woman who was doing the 20K in lieu of NYC since the borders were only opening the day after the race.

Rteetz

Awesome and congrats! That’s definitely on my list. I don’t think I’ll shave the 1:45:00 of my current marathon time to qualify, but maybe someday with a charity bib. Also, I read somewhere about a draw, but can’t find much info about it (other than that they didn’t do one this year), if there are “lottery” spots available, I ought start putting in for it a few times and see if I luck out!
New York has a lottery. They did not in 2021 due to the smaller field.

Demarke

Premium Member
Original Poster
Arguably the coolest medal ever....

View attachment 603311
That is cool, kind of regretting not looking into Space Coast this year! But, if I left right now, I might be able to make it just in time to register on site 🤔😉

I had a busy week of Holiday running though. Had a 10-miler last Saturday, a Sleigh Bell Trot 4.25 miler Tuesday, a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving Thursday (the charity was Boys and Girls Club, so I ran that one in honor of my mother who had a lifelong commitment to helping young folks before she passed in August, this being the first big holiday we’ve had without her), then a Turkey Trot 5k with my girlfriend and some of her family Friday (it was my gf’s first run since having foot and ankle surgery a few months ago, so I was very proud of her getting back out there!).

594279B8-497E-444F-8F8D-C96ADF415C6B.jpeg

A415AADC-49C6-451B-9C8B-E4CE3DA4EB08.jpegAC671603-C9DB-403B-A0F7-6CA98A0ACFFD.jpegC0EC1C31-3574-406A-82BB-4359504C2875.jpeg

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That is cool, kind of regretting not looking into Space Coast this year! But, if I left right now, I might be able to make it just in time to register on site 🤔😉

I had a busy week of Holiday running though. Had a 10-miler last Saturday, a Sleigh Bell Trot 4.25 miler Tuesday, a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving Thursday (the charity was Boys and Girls Club, so I ran that one in honor of my mother who had a lifelong commitment to helping young folks before she passed in August, this being the first big holiday we’ve had without her), then a Turkey Trot 5k with my girlfriend and some of her family Friday (it was my gf’s first run since having foot and ankle surgery a few months ago, so I was very proud of her getting back out there!).

View attachment 603442
View attachment 603444View attachment 603443View attachment 603441

You've been busy. 😀

I've been intrigued by the Space Coast Half. Don't know which is better - the North or South course. I know several of my Sparkle Squad members run it. They've been posting their running outfits all weekend.

My donation for our Turkey Trot went to Refuge House. We had 3 to choose from.

Sorry to hear about your mom. ☹️ That first big family holiday after a parent's death is so tough.

Figment82

The Space Coast medals are ginormous! I’ll have to take a photo later so you can see the scale. I pulled them out of the bag (they handed them out at the expo again) and my husband and I could not stop laughing! I hope my medal display can hold them!

South = the party side
Not quite as much handed out this year, but I definitely saw beers and I think someone mentioned margaritas? They’ve had Fireball shots in previous years.

The course was a bit more crowded, especially compared to last year, but it’s still a beautiful run and the weather this morning could not have been more perfect. Mid-50s at start, light cloud cover, and a gentle breeze. I shaved 15 minutes off my W&D time for a 2:46:16. I was hoping for a PR, but I think I pushed myself too hard at the beginning, and couldn’t catch those 3 minutes. Maybe Celebration next month…

Figment82

View attachment 603442
View attachment 603444View attachment 603443View attachment 603441
I’m so sorry about your mom. What a fantastic way to honor her, it looks like a really fun event! And congratulations to your gf too!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Space Coast medals are ginormous! I’ll have to take a photo later so you can see the scale. I pulled them out of the bag (they handed them out at the expo again) and my husband and I could not stop laughing! I hope my medal display can hold them!

South = the party side
Not quite as much handed out this year, but I definitely saw beers and I think someone mentioned margaritas? They’ve had Fireball shots in previous years.

The course was a bit more crowded, especially compared to last year, but it’s still a beautiful run and the weather this morning could not have been more perfect. Mid-50s at start, light cloud cover, and a gentle breeze. I shaved 15 minutes off my W&D time for a 2:46:16. I was hoping for a PR, but I think I pushed myself too hard at the beginning, and couldn’t catch those 3 minutes. Maybe Celebration next month…

So you recommend South over North?

Figment82

So you recommend South over North?
This was my 8th year, and I’ve only done South (North was just added as an option a few years back, due to demand), but I always recommend it, personally. I know North is a little hillier (relative to Florida, of course). With South, you have the entire 7-hour time limit, so it’s a bit more relaxed, and quite flat. Beautiful views of the Indian River and the homes of Rockledge. North takes you up to towards Kennedy, so you can see the VAB from a distance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom