Non Character Attraction?

Acolli18

Original Poster
Do you think we'll ever see a ride not based off of a movie ever again? Like Space Mountain, Soarin or R&R? I feel like Disney's moved on from these sort of rides...

Chef Mickey

I especially liked the EPCOT rides based on a great idea and not the movie or celebrity de jour.

Test Track was awesome (revamp ruined it), Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, Horizons, Imagination, American Adventure, etc.

To me, these rides are better because they require a great concept versus slapping a favorite character on a mediocre ride to hide its mediocrity.

Cowboy Steve

I think the % of non-character/movie themed attractions is going to go way down... Nemo and Frozen have shown us that in EPCOT... along with the coming Avatar, Star Wars, and Toy Story themed expansions.

cheesecake

Now that you bring it up, I'm not sure what the last non-character based attraction was that they made. Expedition Everest, maybe? That was 10 years ago. So with that said, I think the current trend is to heavily theme attractions with characters. And that's totally great. There are obviously a lot of awesome rides and attractions based off Disney movies, and a lot of Disney movie fans that go to the parks. But it is nice to have some rides that give a little bit of a break from the characters.

wdwfan4ver

Since Roaring Rapids came out for Shanghai this year and Mystic Manor in 2013 for Hong Kong disneyland, I think Disney isn't done with Non IP rides. The catch is I don't see WDW getting a new attraction that isn't a IP for a long time without counting waterparks.

I see Shanghai Disneyland getting a non IP attraction again at some point since they have enough land to do 2 more theme parks and I'm guessing the 2nd theme park is going to be announced at some point in the next decade.

AndyS2992

Roaring Rapids which just opened at Shanghai Disneyland is not based on anything so I would say non character rides are still a thing.

Kate F

It's interesting to think about movie-based attractions when Disney World first opened. In Fantasyland, they're the majority, but outside that it's hard to think of one: Swiss Family Treehouse is all that comes to mind.
Also Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Stitch's Great Escape, Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, Star Tours, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Toy Story Midway Mania, The Great Movie Ride, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, It's Tough to be a Bug, Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo-The Musical, Rafiki's Planet Watch, and more that I'm probably missing.

AndyS2992

Also Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Stitch's Great Escape, Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, Star Tours, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Toy Story Midway Mania, The Great Movie Ride, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, It's Tough to be a Bug, Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo-The Musical, Rafiki's Planet Watch, and more that I'm probably missing.
Whilst that is very much the case now, they are referring to when Magic Kingdom first opened in 1971 :)

blueboxdoctor

I think it is possible for Future World and Animal Kingdom. I know Animal Kingdom is unfortunately getting Avatar Land (come on, that movie is far past the popularity it once had, mainly due to Disney itself releasing super hero movies and Star Wars movies), but they always had it planned to have mythical creatures, just wish they would have went with dragons and that sort of fantasy based theme.

Future World could get really cool and creative with a new ride/attraction, and then just incorporate characters like they are doing now with things like the aquarium (still has basically what was there before, but now Finding Nemo makes it so they can combine those characters while still being informative).

MDactor1980

I wouldn't say never, but considering the way they are expanding park originals (PotC, HM, Figment, BTMR) into other media (movies, comics, etc) I wouldn't imagine any totally new attractions woul;dn't be considered without some lefel of additional tie-in or connection.

UberPlannerMom

I'm not sure that we can blame it all on Disney. When Disney started out they were a singular entity. They competed against fairs and carnivals. Other parks for a long time were amusement parks, not theme parks. Then Universal came along. I remember people being unable to distinguish between universal and MGM, but at least Disneyland and Magic Kingdom held their own. Now Universal has made a play for the immersive theme experience. People weren't hyped because Universal was making an indoor roller coaster. They were excited to fly through hogwarts. How many rides did that original bit of Harry Potter really add? 2? And yet people marked it on their calendar. They were excited. Imagine you were competing with that... Are you going to say, "hey, trust us. We've been making quality attractions for 50 years. I know you've never heard of smageddonland and their native jisherybears but it will be unlike anything you've ever seen!" or are you going to say, "Hey guys, look over here! Olaf!" I don't have any issues with incorporating characters. What I want is innovation, whether it has a character attached to it or not. I really think that Disney is just trying to play it safe. Admittedly not very walt-like there.

And just to be clear, I am not arguing that the recent additions have been all that innovative.

Acolli18

Original Poster
I'm not completely opposed to the character's in the park, because they're what's made Disney what they are. But I know my favorite rides are always the non IP; Space Mountain, Spaceship Earth, even Living with the Land. I hope they can continue sprinkling in some every now and then. I understand the direction they're going more for now though.

JIMINYCR

I think we will see some non character/ movie attractions brought in among their movie based ones. First of course, Disney wants to push their brand and guests are excited to ride something that gives them a connection to something they can relate to. But theres some great things out there that they would be foolish to pass up just because theres not a movie tied to it. The thing they want most of all is to draw guests in that are going to spend their time and money on property. If something is available, that they can get to fit in, and be affordable, that they can utilize to draw the big numbers, Disney wont pass it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom