Noise complaint help

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
I am currently at OKW. This morning I put my twin grandsons down for a nap and not ten minutes later someone was using a leaf blower around the first floor and parking area(we are on the 2nd fl).The person using the leaf blower then proceeded up stairs an use it right out side my villa.When you use a gas powered leaf blower under Windows or right out side a door it sounds as if they are in the room with you.Fortunately my grandsons are amazing and only fussed a little bit and then went to sleep.I understand that it is more efficient to"sweep" with a leaf blower however it is very obnoxious and not something I would expect from a "deluxe". I don't want or expect anything,let me repeat that I DO NOT WANT OR EXPECT ANYTHING. I am hoping that if I bring it to the right people/persons attention maybe they could do things differently. I know electric blowers are not as efficient as gas but they are much quieter. So after possibly a too lengthy explination my question is what is the best way to address this situation,talk to the front desk? Write a letter/email.....both?

Weather_Lady

Since you're still there and this could be a recurring annoyance during your visit (although not an unexpected one -- the yard work has to be done sometime), I'd call the front desk to politely voice your concerns, and perhaps request if there is a schedule for this sort of thing so you'll know for the future. There probably isn't, and there's really nothing they can do but offer you a, "sorry it disturbed you," but it doesn't sound like you're expecting anything more than that (and quite reasonably so). :)

In our experience, naptime (mid-afternoon) is the loudest part of the day at any resort (deluxe or otherwise), between housekeepers vacuuming, trash cans clanging, yard work being done, folks returning to their room after a couple of drinks with lunch and forgetting to use "inside voices," and pool guests shrieking with glee (sometimes with a CM leading games or making announcements over a sound system). We find that turning on our in-room air conditioner or fan as loudly as possible provides enough "white noise" to help us squeeze in a nap while drowning out most of the interruptions. Good luck!

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Yes mid day can be hard to avoid noises around the resorts. They limit them,well most tasks to between 9-5 to not disturb in early morning hours or evening hours. Unfortunately yard work needs to be done and yes it can be loud but it's rather unavoidable. If it's a problem you can complain nicely to management but I really don't think there is much they can do. :)

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
Since you're still there and this could be a recurring problem during your visit, I'd call the front desk (or better yet, visit in person) to politely voice your concerns, and perhaps request if there is a schedule for this sort of thing so you'll know for the future. (There probably isn't, and there's only so much they can do to minimize the noise of yard work that has to be done during the day short of using a rake by hand, but I'd mention it to them FWIW, but, just as you say, not expecting anything in return but a friendly "sorry it disturbed you.")
I understand landscaping,lawn mowers,weed wackers,leaf blowers that is to be expected. I am on the 2nd fl there was a leaf blower being used right outside the front door,even though there is weather stripping on the door ,air is blowing in and the noise difference between it being outside or inside with me is negligible. I am wondering is there a way to"sweep" that isn't so jarring to guests this is Disney can they find a way of doing this quietly?

DisneyJoe

Since you're still there and this could be a recurring annoyance during your visit (although not an unexpected one -- the yard work has to be done sometime), I'd call the front desk to politely voice your concerns, and perhaps request if there is a schedule for this sort of thing so you'll know for the future. There probably isn't, and there's really nothing they can do but offer you a, "sorry it disturbed you," but it doesn't sound like you're expecting anything more than that (and quite reasonably so).
FYI - calls to a resort front desk are routed via a call center first, and they will answer that call as the resort, "Hello, Old Key West, can I help you?" as the majority of calls can be handled by them.

If you just want to register your issue, or ask for their work schedule, they may be able to help you.

If you want more to be done, I would strongly suggest visiting the front desk in person.

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
Yes mid day can be hard to avoid noises around the resorts. They limit them,well most tasks to between 9-5 to not disturb in early morning hours or evening hours. Unfortunately yard work needs to be done and yes it can be loud but it's rather unavoidable. If it's a problem you can complain nicely to management but I really don't think there is much they can do. :)
Someone was using a leaf blower on the grounds around our villa before 8am this morning and although I thought that was rather early it didn't really bother me as I consider that normal landscaping.

SSH

In our experience, naptime (mid-afternoon) is the loudest part of the day at any resort (deluxe or otherwise), between housekeepers vacuuming, trash cans clanging, yard work being done, folks returning to their room after a couple of drinks with lunch and forgetting to use "inside voices," and pool guests shrieking with glee (sometimes with a CM leading games or making announcements over a sound system).

You're not kidding...we've experienced all the above pretty much every trip. But I empathize with OP on the leaf blowers - those suckers are really LOUD. I'm constantly woken up weekend mornings at home - people fire them up as early as 7am.

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
I don't believe that the world revolves around me,and I don't expect anything to be done for my trip.I really appreciate everyone's opinions and I guess to really get down to it what I am asking is.Do people think that by lodging a complaint (assuming enough other people think it is a problem)that things will be done differently in the future to adress this issue? If not then I will not waste my or Disney's time and know that is just the way things are.

21stamps

"Normal" landscaping hours are typically 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM and beyond.

When I lived in Florida I had a next door neighbor, who I had never even seen before, come over one day and complain to me about our landscaping company. Even threatened to report me to the city. They came at 7:45am on Tuesdays. Perfectly allowed by our city. I apologized to her but said there was nothing I could do. I mean really who expects these people to do work in the midday heat?

If we want a pretty home or a pretty resort while vacationing then we have to be reasonable. These people have to work sometime. Someone will always be impacted by it, regardless of if 8am or 3pm. There's, unfortunately, no way to please everyone with a specific time.

OP- I don't think it matters about being a deluxe or not. Every resort needs work done. Maybe try playing some music on your phone for the kids before/while they nap?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't believe that the world revolves around me,and I don't expect anything to be done for my trip.I really appreciate everyone's opinions and I guess to really get down to it what I am asking is.Do people think that by lodging a complaint (assuming enough other people think it is a problem)that things will be done differently in the future to adress this issue? If not then I will not waste my or Disney's time and know that is just the way things are.
It might help, but there is only so much they can do.

The landscaping has to be done and unfortunately, the equipment used to make it as fast as possible is loud. They are going to inconvenience someone no matter when they do it.

21stamps

I don't think I would waste my time complaining about this. There's nothing that can be done. Unless they stop landscaping all together. A leaf blower is loud...even Disney can't make that magically change.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't think lodging a complaint is warranted for this. I certainly understand the CMS not wanting to do this type of work in the heat of the afternoon. I think everyone can agree with that, well, except those that think Disney CMs are slaves that are there to cater to their every whim, and couldn't care less if they pass out in the heat.

I would hope that Disney would not change, as that would force them to work a lot more during the hottest part of the day. Not ideal at all.

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
I know words mean things and perhaps I have different understanding of the definition of landscaping. When I am at home and I sweep my front porch, even if there happen to be leaves on it I consider that sweeping not landscaping,am I not using the word correctly?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know words mean things and perhaps I have different understanding of the definition of landscaping. When I am at home and I sweep my front porch, even if there happen to be leaves on it I consider that sweeping not landscaping,am I not using the word correctly?
Taking care of your porch, time wise, is nothing compared to the amount of sidewalks and porches that the landscape people have to clear. There is no way I would want to "sweep" all those areas. All of that, in the commercial world, is considered, landscaping. Even "sweeping" porches with a blower.

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
I don't think I would waste my time complaining about this. There's nothing that can be done. Unless they stop landscaping all together. A leaf blower is loud...even Disney can't make that magically change.
I would argue that electric leaf blowers are quieter and I do know they have there disadvantages.

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
Taking care of your porch, time wise, is nothing compared to the amount of sidewalks and porches that the landscape people have to clear. There is no way I would want to "sweep" all those areas. All of that, in the commercial world, is considered, landscaping. Even "sweeping" porches with a blower.
Thank you,commercial as aposed to personal does make a difference.Also I just realized that because housekeeping isn't daily ,housekeeping can't do it.

21stamps

Thank you,commercial as aposed to personal does make a difference.Also I just realized that because housekeeping isn't daily ,housekeeping can't do it.
Housekeeping shouldn't do it!!! Daily or not!! There are landscaping companies and landscaping department employees to do that work. A housekeeper with a leaf blower?!?!? Come on now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom