No Osborn Lights Today

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think you jsut proved my point...

The big-bad-cables aren't unsafe nor exposed to the elements. Just the cheapo indoor light strings they chose.

Everything else is protected by multiple grounds and faults. Not 8000 strands to one circuit. Rather, 5 strands to a circuit (or whatever the box says) and then circuits on dimmers and then the dimmers groups so that the buildings APPEAR to be a single circuit/dimmer.

They are, in fact, not. That's why they're entirely harmless. Cheap - and prone to burn out, but entirely harmless.

Legacy

They are, in fact, not. That's why they're entirely harmless. Cheap - and prone to burn out, but entirely harmless.
Set one up and throw a bucket of water on it.

Then pay for the replacement.

Shoot, even shelll out for the Amazing Colossal Out-Door Lights and do the same thing. How many times are you willing to shell out of pocket for that?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Set one up and throw a bucket of water on it.

Then pay for the replacement.

Shoot, even shelll out for the Amazing Colossal Out-Door Lights and do the same thing. How many times are you willing to shell out of pocket for that?

Well yes, it'll break a lot. They were hoping it wouldn't rain. They didn't buy outdoor industrial lights (there are versions which are hardier but more expensive). It would have cost them less in the long run.

I'm not sure if you were here about a year or two ago when there was a big to-do over the blue bulbs in SoL because they had to completely replace the product because they went sour so quickly due to the elements.

They keep cheaping-out on this display.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I think you jsut proved my point...

Merf, I thought your point was that Disney should compensate these guests for something that wasn't their fault. But I guess that now your point is trying to place fault within Disney for cancellation. One thing you forgot though, when cold water falls on a hot bulb, the glass will crack, and no matter what type of electrical precautions are in place, a broken bulb is a liability. Especially of the water hitting the filament after the glass breaks.

So while it was Disney's decision to cancel the show, it was not their fault, and in no way are the guests entitled to compensation. Got a problem? Dispute the charge with your bank or put a stop payment on the check. Paid cash? Tough.

1 strand of lights is cheap. 8,000 strands are not, even with the lovely after Christmas discounts going on right now. Especially if word hits the local retail market that Disney needs 8k lights. Sales may unexpectedly end, and full retail wil be paid.

And entirely safe? If I were strip a few inches from a strand of lights and plug it in, will you put your bare hand on the metal?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If you think those little lights get hot enough to cause the glass to shatter when they get wet.. you're a little off..

If they did, they shouldn't be in an area where guests could come in contact with them.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you think those little lights get hot enough to cause the glass to shatter when they get wet.. you're a little off..

If they did, they shouldn't be in an area where guests could come in contact with them.
Leave a light on for 5+ hours and put your hand on it. It will burn.

Yeah, it's hot enough to potentially shatter when hit by cold rain caused by a cold front.

Legacy

Are you think of the old C9 lights?

I didn't think you were jaded (at least before the edit). But your argument still doesn't make sense within the concept of risk vs reward.

Let me ask you technician to technician:

Knowing lighting, and the inherent risk involved (from electrocution to equipment failure), would you be completely willing to let an average Joe who knows nothing about electricity (and even less about lighting) walk through your rig, while it's running at full power, in a downpour?

Would you let ten people?

500?

20,000?

Disney says out-door entertainment can be canceled at a moments notice. Shoot, I saw Off Kilter leave the stage mid-way through their last set on Canada Day (of all days) because of weather. The disclaimer is there, and the Weather Channel (and News 13) are both on 24 hours a day.

Disney had every right and reason to cancel the event.

tink rules

Maybe it's just the old theory with the old lights....

One goes out and they all go out!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And we have to forgive Merf... he's having a bad week... the inlaws are coming to visit....

Sending Hugs Merf....

Merf, maybe that one day you have with the in-laws should be a meet under the spectacle of lights??? During a rainstorm? ZZZAAAPP!! Problem solved!!:lol::xmas:

tecowdw

Interestingly enough, here is an excerpt from the Orlando Sentinel that an online user posted:

Disney shut down the festival of lights at mgm due to 30 minutes of rain on christmas eve. We were annoyed because that was the only reason we had went there. Disney's guest relations handlded it perfectly when we described our frustrations. They were apologetic and explained why it was necessary. They also offered to let us come back and see them for free next year since we couldn't make it back this year, all without us giving them a hard time at all!!!

Not surprisingly, perhaps it's just a matter of who you are dealing with at GS. Or perhaps the way the guest approaches the topic with the GS.
"You catch more flies with honey..."

Personally, I consider this individual to be very fortunate in getting such a thing, if true.
:wave:

Legacy

Disney shut down the festival of lights at mgm due to 30 minutes of rain on christmas eve. We were annoyed because that was the only reason we had went there. Disney's guest relations handlded it perfectly when we described our frustrations. They were apologetic and explained why it was necessary. They also offered to let us come back and see them for free next year since we couldn't make it back this year, all without us giving them a hard time at all!!!

I would love to know how this would happen, because it feels like a clever way to accommodate without really sacrificing anything. Anybody can see the Spectacle for free... with a ticket purchase.

tecowdw

I would love to know how this would happen, because it feels like a clever way to accommodate without really sacrificing anything. Anybody can see the Spectacle for free... with a ticket purchase.

Hmm...
I guess it didn't say anything about getting a free admission ticket did it?
Good point.
:drevil:

askmike1

You're just digging your own grave at this point.
:) Anyone else think this smilie fits this thread very well...
diggingld7.gif

sarajo

Okay... so I know it's been a few days since anybody has posted a reply to this thread, but I do have a little inside information about the lights (I was there with Mr. and Mrs. Osborne during the holidays, as we are every year... they are family!)

Anyway... first off, indoor lights are not used. That would be somewhat absurd to use indoor rated lights in an outdoor setting.

Even though they were donated (in 1995), they have had to update and replace the lights because it's not easy to make lights last for 10+ years! Especially when the lights are on for long hours for multiple weeks for multiple years. Just because something is donated doesn't mean it is cheap-o. (If you knew the Osbornes, you'd know they don't do things half-way or cheaply.)

Due to the "dancing" feature of the lights, when there are heavy rains, they experienced some technical difficulties. Most people experience "technical difficulties" even at times when it's not raining!!! It just happens! I'm sure that with more time and improved technology, next year will experience fewer technical difficulties- as with many things that happen in life!

But, like many have stated... Disney has the right to cancel shows/attractions at a moment's notice and when you buy the ticket, you have accepted that condition of the "contract".

By the way, the lights were on for the remainder of Christmas week and the crowds were quite large. On the 28th, the Osborne family turned the lights on with the assistance of the Arkansas Razorback head football coach. The turn on was a little early, so the lights didn't look very well until it was dark. It's hard to see lights dancing and all when it's still daylight outside! But, once it was sunset... it was really cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom