No Osborn Lights Today

tecowdw

Well, along those lines, if Disney promotes the Lights and they cannot provide, then I don't think it absurd for Disney to provide park hopping to Epcot or MK or even AK (if it's known early enough) to enjoy their Holiday festivities if MGM's lights aren't working.

Anyone who already purchased park hopping - go hop - anyone who hasn;t, goto guest relations and lodge the complaint and ask for it. They advertised an event that was not offered.

For folks that think like you, they usually have a disclaimer in printed material advertising events something like this:
"entertainment, times and locations subject to change without notice. Inclement weather conditions may affect outdoor entertainment"

As a result, in the real world, that means Disney isn't obligated and guests aren't entitled to anything for changes or cancellations due to weather. And I really don't think that most "weather permitting" type of event sponsors outside Disney even would consider themselves obliged to do anything for circumstances beyond their control.
:rolleyes:

tecowdw

Get real why are people always complaining or trying to get something for free!

Because so many people are self-righteous nowadays and think the world should revolve around them. Those types disgust me.
:hammer:

HELLO?!?!?
You are NOT the only person in the world!
:brick:

tecowdw

I suggest people with swollen egos to relax, you're on vacation or at Disney to have fun an escape from reality.

EXACTLY!!
:sohappy:
It's so much more enjoyable when you take in the World the way it was meant to be experienced! Guess that's why I keep going back...it's fun, enjoyable and relaxing for me.
Indeed, it's too bad everyone's experience isn't the same!

Chill out...life is better that way!
:cool:

bob0012

Merf, I love you. I love your posts. I love your updates. I worship the ground you walk on to take your many photographs that you share with us. You, to put it plainly, rock.

But, from where I sit, you are way way off the reservation on this one.
I know what you mean, I'm normaly with Merf on everything.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Merf needs a hug and a little bit of chocolate.... :kiss: (sorry... couldn't find a hugging smiley on this one...) & maybe some pixie dust.... or a nap....

Maybe this will help...:wave:
boys_kiss.jpg

*sigh* Edit edit edit

No worth arguing. Long story short: Don't use interior lights outdoors.

I think they might look into it now...:lookaroun

Well, along those lines, if Disney promotes the Lights and they cannot provide, then I don't think it absurd for Disney to provide park hopping to Epcot or MK or even AK (if it's known early enough) to enjoy their Holiday festivities if MGM's lights aren't working.

Anyone who already purchased park hopping - go hop - anyone who hasn;t, goto guest relations and lodge the complaint and ask for it. They advertised an event that was not offered.

IMHO... IF Disney were to issue park hopping to Guest, which I don't think they should, it would only be fair to issue this to everyone who entered approx. 1 - 2 hours before the lights were scheduled to turn on. Everyone else got a full days enjoyment of MGM Attractions and that is what they paid for.

Comp passes, definitely not. Read the back of the ticket no entertainment is guaranteed due to weather.

Now if you're riding in Test Track or in line and it starts to rain and the attraction has to close due to weather or technical difficulties. Cut off the line and possibly issue a FastPass good anytime within the next 3 days to all Guests currently in line or on the ride at the time of closure. That's a fair solution.

Legacy

*sigh* Edit edit edit

No worth arguing. Long story short: Don't use interior lights outdoors.
OR...

You cannot run massive amounts of electricity through cables that are run along the ground and along walls when oodles of water is falling from the sky.

Outdoor lights are fun and dandy and hardy. However, electrical connectors aren't exactly the most water resistant things in the world. And no matter how hard you try, you can't keep all the water out when it's raining that bad.

Guess what. I would rather them turn all the lights off than run the risk of ONE electrocution.

:wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
OR...

You cannot run massive amounts of electricity through cables that are run along the ground and along walls when oodles of water is falling from the sky.

Outdoor lights are fun and dandy and hardy. However, electrical connectors aren't exactly the most water resistant things in the world. And no matter how hard you try, you can't keep all the water out when it's raining that bad.

Guess what. I would rather them turn all the lights off than run the risk of ONE electrocution.

:wave:

That's not how electricy works - rather a misconception.

Legacy

That's not how electricy works - rather a misconception.

Really?

Then enlighten this lighting/broadcasting technician on how electricity works.

Because, from my understanding of electricity it will seek out the path to ground of least resistance. Water has a lower resistance than filament, and therefore would cause a short to ground if water comes in contact with the bare copper of an Edison plug.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Really?

Then enlighten this lighting/broadcasting technician on how electricity works.

Because, from my understanding of electricity it will seek out the path to ground of least resistance. Water has a lower resistance than filament, and therefore would cause a short to ground if water comes in contact with the bare copper of an Edison plug.

Then how does Disney plug anything in outside? How about all of the other lights that are on display in the other parks? Are those guests in danger?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Merf,

you're a good guy and all, but you're in over your head.

Just throw in the white flag, concede, etc. Accept that you may very well be wrong on this.

mkt

Premium Member
Then how does Disney plug anything in outside? How about all of the other lights that are on display in the other parks? Are those guests in danger?
There is an inherent risk whenever an electrical source is placed in an uncontrolled (ie, outdoor) environment.

However, Disney is also in the business of risk management. They know that running 1 or 2 cables rated for outdoor use with a professional at both ends (or with no professionals around while the cable is out of guest contact) has an inherently lower risk than the miles of mostly indoor rated cables used for SoL. That is why you'll still have castle lighting effects in the rain, but SoL will be cancelled.

Or I could be cynical and say that a CM is expendable, since
A- odds are they were never paid well enough to have a valuable enough estate that their spouse could afford an attorney good enough to beat Disney's attorney in court in the lawsuit that would inevitably follow such a death
and
B- Disney knows that for tech positions there is a résumé list a mile long of well qualified applicants ready to jump in (or get terps from the Union).

Back to seriousness. Low risk v. High risk. Disney will pick the lower risk.

mkt

Premium Member
time to beat this dead horse...

Merf, say you're flying home for the holidays, but the airport is snowed in, and your flight is cancelled. Is the airline liable in any way for this as far as compensating you?

Legacy

A great majority of the cables run to out-door fixtures are run through conduit that is either A) under-ground or B)Water-tight. Equipment that is plugged in out-doors is (as Rob said) singular in nature and operated by a professional. Also, most of that equipment is used after hours when guests are not around.

Here...

More fixtures=More wattage.

More wattage=More Danger.

More cables=More Danger.

Water=Danger

Get the picture? This isn't a Mac 2K plugged into truss over an audience that won't come near the cables... This is a massive lighting grid that hapless guest walk through. Look on the ground and observe how many cables you see. The Osborne Spectacle is, by far, the riskiest event Disney puts on. It is the least controllable of all of their events (period) and has the biggest probability of an injury, and yes, death.

It isn't, "Oh! Let's plug 8,000 strings of Christmas lights into a socket." I would love to see how many dimmers, generators and controllers are used for this years event.

That said, I'm glad they do it. I think it is one of the most impressive things Disney puts on. However, they have to control variables where they can. Weather ain't something they can control, and as much as it stinks, if they think the risk outweighs the reward then something's gotta give.

And Mother Nature will beat out Mickey Mouse every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom