No more "Walt" in Disney?

chrissyw14

I'm confused. Jim Henson created and owned the Muppets, until it was sold off to Disney about five years ago.

Why would Walt's name be in front of the Muppets movie title? Walt never had anything to do with muppets. And he certainly never had anything to do with muppet movies that were rated PG for "Mild Rude Humor". Walt didn't go in for rude, it wasn't his scene.

Movies that come from Walt Disney's studios in Burbank, namely his feature animation and other family fare, still bear the name Walt Disney Studios. Pixar is 400 miles north of the Walt Disney Studios, up in Emeryville, and it's operated by John Lasseter. Thus, a Pixar movie wouldn't have Walt Disney's name in front of it, as it's not his studio.

There is still a Walt Disney Studios and suitable movies made by that studio bear the title Walt Disney Pictures. For instance, the upcoming movie John Carter that is released in March, 2012 bears the "Walt Disney Pictures" logo that some folks seem to feel is important in its official preview now in theaters. http://disney.go.com/johncarter/?int_cmp=WDSMP_MoviesCat_NewUpcoming_ComingSoon_Intl#video So Walt Disney Pictures still exists, and it's a brand still applied to movies that warrant it.

I know that if I worked for Muppet Studio, I would be kind of peeved to see Walt Disney's name slapped on my movie. The corporate Disney logo, as the company owner and distribution arm, is something different than putting Walt's name on a product and company he didn't own.

TP2000 saved the day! this made me feel better!

mharrington

I have to say I was quite surprised to mention something about Walt's name being removed for irrelevance to the company. I was quite worried, until I read TP2000's comment, and I have to admit that does seem legitimate. Plus, Bob Iger is going to step down in 2015, which, yes, is a way's off yet, but is going to happen, so that may not be particularly relevant either.

twinnstar

"No, the real reason that the Company has clipped "Walt" and "Pictures" off of the "Walt Disney Pictures" logo has to do with all of those Droids and/or iPhones that many of us now use to watch our media on."

what? he is saying they are changing the logo of their entire company to make it readable for the small percentage of people who watch feature length disney films on mobile devices? give me a break. Are they going to start making the credits 4 times the size, too?

HMF

As long as this is kept as a special thing for the animated features, i won't mind too much. It bothers me the same when I see his name in front of things I feel like he would never back... :/

Another thing I really don't like is the line of thought that say's what would Walt say to this ETC? and try to put words into a dead mans mouth.

HMF

"No, the real reason that the Company has clipped "Walt" and "Pictures" off of the "Walt Disney Pictures" logo has to do with all of those Droids and/or iPhones that many of us now use to watch our media on."

what? he is saying they are changing the logo of their entire company to make it readable for the small percentage of people who watch feature length disney films on mobile devices? give me a break. Are they going to start making the credits 4 times the size, too?

Pathetic excuse.

Mad Stitch

I was told in traditions that Walt originally called the Florida project Disney World. It was after his death the Florida property was renamed Walt Disney World in honor of his memory.

3IAlienKid

Originally Posted by wm49rs View Post
Jim Hill offered his take on the subject yesterday:

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...quot-logo.aspx
Jim Hill has a lot of great contacts within the Disney Company and he gets a lot of really cool scoops. I regularly visit his site. But sometimes I think his friendships with those contacts clouds his judgment. He strikes me as somewhat of a Disney Company apologist, defending most of what they do, and generally seems to perceive the "dweebs" (as he often affectionately refers to the rest of us in cyberspace) as somewhat misguided, from time to time in need of a little correction from him. To me this particular article just comes off as condescending, and I can't tell if he's quoting a credible source, or if he's quoting a source that's bought into the corporate speak, or if it's just his personal opinion.

Bairstow

I don't see why people are interpreting this as something insidious or disrespectful.

Very few people refer to this company as "The Walt Disney Company." It's just "Disney"
Disneyland.
DisneyWorld.
Disney Cruise Lines.

I like that the company is finally acknowledging how the public refers to these properties.

One word is enough.

mharrington

I don't see why people are interpreting this as something insidious or disrespectful.

Because people all think that Disney alone just sounds too corporate, that the people in charge don't even know nor care who Walt Disney is.

In short, people interpret this as an insult to history.

Bairstow

Silly, if you ask me, but some people are always on a vigilant search for things to be offended by.
It's not as if they haven't erected statutes to the man.
Roy worked with the company longer than Walt did. Does keeping the "Walt" disrespect him?

Silver Figment

They shouldn't have ever taken Walt's name out of anything. Without him there would be no company now. The people who work for the Disney company nowadays owe everything to Walt.

Bairstow

No love for Ub Iwerks?
It all started with his mouse.
If it weren't for him, we probably never would have heard of Disney.

Captain Chaos

TP2000 saved the day! this made me feel better!

Don't cause he didn't save the day... Look at the new trailer for John Carter and tell me where it says WALT DISNEY PICTURES... it doesn't... All that shows is the castle logo and the word DISNEY under it.. So Walt Disney Pictures has been removed from the real TRAILER not the TEASER...

Basically this:

walt_disney_pictures_logo_disney_4_44518dd38cc332921201beda99592cf1_490x350.png

Has been replaced with this:

walt-disney-pictures-logo-3.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Don't cause he didn't save the day... Look at the new trailer for John Carter and tell me where it says WALT DISNEY PICTURES... it doesn't... All that shows is the castle logo and the word DISNEY under it.. So Walt Disney Pictures has been removed from the real TRAILER not the TEASER...

Basically this:

walt_disney_pictures_logo_disney_4_44518dd38cc332921201beda99592cf1_490x350.png

Has been replaced with this:

walt-disney-pictures-logo-3.jpg

That's what I thought at first myself.

I just watched the John Carter preview and nowhere did it say Walt Disney Pictures....it just said "Disney John Carter"....twice! :shrug:

You should go back and pay attention around twenty seconds into the video for John Carter if you didn't see Walt given his props.

You are so right...I stand corrected. :eek:

Kirk88

I heard recently that Steve Jobs actually proposed the idea of dropping "Walt" & "Pictures" to accomodate handheld media. Don't know if it's true or not. We watched Tangled this weekend and I actually noticed the logo both ways on the DVD. So, who's in line to take over for Bob Iger? I nominate John Lasseter.

yensid67

Very few people refer to this company as "The Walt Disney Company." It's just "Disney"
Disneyland.
DisneyWorld.
Disney Cruise Lines.

I like that the company is finally acknowledging how the public refers to these properties.

One word is enough.

One word is enough for these properties, except Walt Disney World, because these properties were NOT named after the namesake that the original american amusement park that exists today as a memorial, they are just another extension of the company as a whole, so therefore they would not have the 'WALT' in them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom