No more Pool Wristbands?

MickeyMind

Original Poster
My last 3 trips I have stayed at the contemporary, grand floridian and the polynesian, they were all during busy times and I have never once had to get a wristband or asked to show my resort id to use the pool. On my last trip to the poly I overheard a lady talking to her friend on the phone saying that her and her family stopped by the polynesian to take a dip in the pool, from what I gathered from her conversation, they were just locals looking to enjoy the pool. It was memorial day weekend and the pool was packed, yet somehow this family just managed to waltz right in and use their pool?? no questions asked? how is that possible? its not like it was calm, there were ALOT of people by the pool. I thought disney's policy was to use wristbands for the pools, especially the deluxe ones on the monorail line? We are heading back down this weekend and staying at the poly again, and I want to know if disney started reinforcing the whole wrist band thing, it was tough to find a place to sit last time we were there and if I am paying all that money for a hotel room, I would expect to find a decent place to sit and not have to fight off locals for a good spot

luv

It's been well over a year since I slept in a WDW hotel and quite a few years since I slept in some, but I was never asked for ID or to see a wristband. Not very helpful, I know.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I have also heard that Art of Animation is restricting access to their pool, but haven't seen this personally. As far as I know the only other pool that is strictly enforced is SAB.

kane47

When I stayed at the Grand in Spring 2012 they checked ID's and gave out wristbands at the beach pool. The cast members where getting a lot of resistance from the guest and ended up leaving before they check everyone's ID. Did not see them the rest of the trip.

Mrsdonaldduck

When we stayed at the grand 8/11 they were checking room keys and handing out wristbands at the beach pool; however last August they weren't. But last August the Gf was so quiet with the construction there wasn't a need for crowd control

luv

When I stayed at the Grand in Spring 2012 they checked ID's and gave out wristbands at the beach pool. The cast members where getting a lot of resistance from the guest and ended up leaving before they check everyone's ID. Did not see them the rest of the trip.
That's good to hear. People shouldn't have to wear wristbands in the water. Slows the flow. And Disney should not be hassling their guests.

The wristband thing at MNSSHP irks me. Not only do i have to wear the thing, but I have to keep stopping to prove I'm entitled to be there. Once, they interrupted our meal, demanding to see wristbands. It's annoying.

I don't put up a fuss because I'm not a Fuss Putter Upper, but I applaud those who did.

HollyAD

I remember years ago having to show my id for beach/yacht club pools and it was a little bit of a hassle. I do understand that people could try to come use these pools that are not resort guests because the pool areas are directly off the boardwalk. I really hope they do not start doing this everywhere. I remember not having a room key on my at the BC and having to leave and find my mother before I could go to the pool. Now I have my own son and I still don't want to worry about having my room key and keeping track of his wrist band lol.

sweetpee_1993

I can only speak to Stormalong Bay in Sept. 2011 - room keys were READ, not just glanced at, and wristbands were issued. My brother, who was staying with us in the concierge level, had a valid key that said something slightly different on it and he was seriously hassled about it on his way in with one of my kids during that trip. My brother swears the guy wasn't going to let him in but my son said something like, "We gotta go back to get Dad. He's gonna be so mad. I hope he doesn't yell at anyone." Then the CM handed over the wristbands and told my brother to have us tell the concierge about the key. They are strict but they need to be.

The key-entry gates aren't a very effective deterrent. I've lived in "gated" communities. Most times thru the gate with our remotes at least 1 or 2 cars were waiting off to the side to follow us in. That's all a person would need to do: wait for someone with a key to come along and follow them in.

Bowler Hat Girl

2 weeks ago at the Contemporary (not a crowded time) they checked IDs and gave us wristbands. I've never had that happen before, but I didn't mind. I asked if there had been problems recently, and the CM said they were just preparing for the busy season.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
i don't know how I feel about the whole thing..but let me think about this for a second.
How many people on a WDW vacation would go through the hassle of going to another resort pool to swim?
I get p*ssed when I have to walk too far to my resort pool because it feels like s such a waste of time.

I really wonder if they just don't weigh up the actual issue verses the hassle of checking for room keys.

Honestly if it was a big problem it could be easily solved by the AOA pool situation -- with gate access requiring room key to let you in.

Jim Chandler

I have never seen any wristbands at WDW nor have I seen them check IDs. This is in a couple hundred trips with and without kids/grandkids

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom