No more live actors in ROL

Biff215

Going to make my annual plea to replace this with World Of Color East.
Not possible in this “natural” body of water, and can’t see how it would really work at DAK anyway. RoL is a decent show, but it will always suffer when compared to the other nighttime shows. Guests are too conditioned to expecting fireworks.

This news isn’t going to help this show at all.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Their worry will be that profit margins will be lower than they were last year. And, honestly, if Disney still makes healthy profits but they're lower than expectations, the share price probably will go down and there will be plenty of headlines about a disappointing quarter for Disney.

In interviews and quarterly reports, Iger's been beating the drum that profits will be down next fiscal year because of the new ""Disney Play"" OTT and the initial investment to make that happen. If any investors are caught off guard by that, they haven't been paying attention. And those who would jump ship because of that, they should have gone overboard already.

disney4life2008

Not possible in this “natural” body of water, and can’t see how it would really work at DAK anyway. RoL is a decent show, but it will always suffer when compared to the other nighttime shows. Guests are too conditioned to expecting fireworks.

This news isn’t going to help this show at all.

World of color doesn't use fireworks, i don't think. Rol is acceptable but it's no secret that executives hated the show.

Figments Friend

Wow.

Disappointed to hear this.
Very misguided decision removing the key storytelling element from this particular show.
Not a good sign for this productions future.

I finally saw this show in person from a excellent close viewing spot two weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.
The Shamans were a appealing element and it was great to be able to see them perform their moves a few steps in front of where I was sitting.
I was also close enough to be able see clearly what they were doing to tell the story on the lighted boats, which was a plus.

Very nice show...I really liked it, but can see where others might find it too mellow or 'confusing'.
Removing the storytellers who actually present the story is going to be a real loss.
Very glad I saw 'Rivers of Light' when I did, with the live performers, as intended.

-

Sir_Cliff

In interviews and quarterly reports, Iger's been beating the drum that profits will be down next fiscal year because of the new ""Disney Play"" OTT and the initial investment to make that happen. If any investors are caught off guard by that, they haven't been paying attention. And those who would jump ship because of that, they should have gone overboard already.
Generally I think investors will accept those kinds of costs as investments in future growth. That's probably also partly why no-one seems too bothered by the exorbitant cost of new additions to the parks. I'm not sure that makes it easier for Disney to wear "weaker" (but still good) quarterly results in established divisions, though. Particularly if Disney is investing massively in shiny new things such as Disney Play and the Fox takeover, I would think there would be even more pressure to demonstrate that their established businesses are still healthy. That will be judged by Wall Street largely on these very short-term criteria of the direction in which quarterly profits are trending.

In my wild and crazy youth, I began a business degree at university before switching over to the humanities. I remember very well studying precisely how to manage businesses with a certain fixed level of expenses and capacity but varying customers levels. What Disney is doing with live entertainment is exactly the kind of response we were being trained to make in those classes. It's also the kind of thinking that will be rewarded by the big investors and financial press.

I want to be clear that I don't agree with or like any of these decisions. I think, though, the issue here goes beyond Iger just being a jerk who doesn't care about the parks.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So... does the shadow dancing on the sail material still happen then? Or the boats just kind float around and... float by?

We need a video of this version of the show :)

Figments Friend

I'm sure someone has already uploaded the 'lighting threat' version of RoL on YouTube somewhere.
It's basically the same presentation, but missing the live performers for safety reasons whenever the Florida lighting storms threaten around showtime.

Upper management must have seen a recent 'lighting' version and came up with the brilliant idea to just run the Show like this all the time.
I'd like to give them a swift kick ......
:mad:

-

Nottamus

Guests are too conditioned to expecting fireworks.

I agree here totally. Its really a good show...but in comparison to booms and bangs and lasers...we all think its not any good.

I would have to say I hate those hard seats more than anything...and how early you have to show up to get a good seat.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Generally I think investors will accept those kinds of costs as investments in future growth.
Your institutional investor responsible for extremely large funds does not care. It will always be what have you done for me lately. Good for your 401K, bad for any corporation looking to grow internally. Of course one exception to this would be M&A.

The Empress Lilly

I would have to say I hate those hard seats more than anything...
RoL's hard seats are infinitely better than HEA's no seats! ;)

Resting my weary behind is partly why I love RoL. It's just good park design that you can sit and relax for your nighttime show. As opposed to standing in the MK hub packed tighter together than emperor penguins trying to brace the wintery September cold while eight foot tall towers of kids on shoulders block what little view of the castle prprojections you had. Or standing amidst the drunk lunatics that defile WS, fighting you over what little lakeside spots are left in between the 1974 drink booths. Or sitting in that soulless arena next to the Swolphin an hour walk from DHS where they perform Fantasmic.

backinaction

Original Poster
I agree here totally. Its really a good show...but in comparison to booms and bangs and lasers...we all think its not any good.

I would have to say I hate those hard seats more than anything...and how early you have to show up to get a good seat.
I like watching from the bridge on the side. You can ride everest a few more times (at night, which is the best) and then catch the show at the last minute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom