No more free bread at table service....

LittleBuford

By offer I meant “would you like me to bring some bread to your table?” Or... if you’ve been to a Cracker Barrel... “ya’ll want some biscuits or corn bread?”

Thanks for clarifying. The risk with that approach is that many people would say yes almost as a reflex and still not eat the bread (who ever turns down “free” stuff?). Still, it’s a fair compromise.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Don't forget... Disney can just throw those Hurricane Matthew, $12.99 , $19.99 sad box lunches at guests and eliminate the tables completely.
Box lunches are a great value of the Disney Minus Dining plan ;);) .

~NM

I will always remember that. I actually thought of the poor prep by Disney while watching our Federal officials try (or fake try to keep state count fake numbers very low) for our current coronavirus artificially low while not providing test kits. Odd my brain flipped to Disney being ill prepared for Mathew as well. Opposite but the same type of lack of planning for serious situations. I have been at WDW for 2 more hurricanes since Mathew, we take long trips in the fall so it is enviable it seems. Both times since Irma and Dorian were handled amazingly during the lockdowns, we were at the Wilderness and Contemporary respectively. Actually the prices were dramatically low at Artist Point (then) and Wave and Chef Mickey's $15 meals or TS credit.

Me I don't get the bread. It is like 'come-on. In real life beyond WDW I can't think of a table service restaurant we dine at that doesn't have some sort of bread service that comes with dinner. Our local golf course has a fish fry during lent and even this very seasonal event has bread service. Disney seems to be struggling with the petty things that are duly noted by guests.

TrojanUSC

My sense is that the food has significantly improved in quality and variety since then.

Nope.

One of Michael Eisner's real coups was improving dining at Disney Parks. He rightfully felt that food options at WDW were quite lackluster and really allowed a big improvement. Dieter Hannig was brought in and he completely revoluntionized the food offering. Better quality, more restaurant independence (chefs at each restaurant could create their own menus vs. relying on corporate guidelines), etc. He left not long after the DDP came into effect, which had a massively detrimental effect to WDW food quality. Reduced menus, homogenized ingredients, property-wide edicts, outsourced/frozen food prep, etc.

LittleBuford

Nope.

One of Michael Eisner's real coups was improving dining at Disney Parks. He rightfully felt that food options at WDW were quite lackluster and really allowed a big improvement. Dieter Hannig was brought in and he completely revoluntionized the food offering. Better quality, more restaurant independence (chefs at each restaurant could create their own menus vs. relying on corporate guidelines), etc. He left not long after the DDP came into effect, which had a massively detrimental effect to WDW food quality. Reduced menus, homogenized ingredients, property-wide edicts, outsourced/frozen food prep, etc.

My partner is a vegan and I lean vegetarian. From our perspective, the options are much better now than they were, but I appreciate that you and others have a different viewpoint.

TrainsOfDisney

My partner is a vegan and I lean vegetarian. From our perspective, the options are much better now than they were, but I appreciate that you and others have a different viewpoint.

I miss the early 2000’s. Vegetarian entrees were on point back then! Eggplant at mama melrose, vegetable stack at whispering canyon, and counter service options like the vegetable bake at contemporary and the beet and goat cheese salad at seasons at Epcot.

Now I’m hungry. :-/

Lilofan

For all of you making a stink that "it's just bread" - I'm assuming that's your attitude when it comes to everything else that TDO has removed over the last twenty+ years? Y'all are definitely the frog in the pot as the heat slowly increases (over the twenty+ years). It's always just "one little thing, how can you complain about it, the fact your are complaining over such a minor things shows how pathetic you are". Such an ad hominem argument while not addressing the real problem.

How many actually remember what the parks and/or dining experiences were like back in the 80s and 90s? Not saying it was perfect but, in general, definitely a d_mn sight better back then than now. One of these days, the fanbois/fangrls are going to wake up and realize they've been walmarted.
What I recall years ago, people did not consume as much calories in the park as they do now.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Free carbs are back!... or never they never left.

Unscrupulous fails again. The site that shall not be named is back tracking after they were once again called out on their fake news bread story.

"We are continuing complimentary bread service at all table-service restaurants. At this time, there are no plans to discontinue complimentary bread service at any of our table-service restaurants.”

So it was all about nothing except for clicks and shoddy "reporting"

My commentary: CorLESS has once again shown how irresponsible of a "journalist" he is. He lets his site publish unsubstantiated gossip as fact and because of his shameless self promotion does so from a position of self proclaimed authority. Him and his site represent everything that is wrong with the Disney fan community.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well the falseness of a rumor from a wonky site hasn't gone to waste. We've managed to work up a good anger over it. And not over the bread that was never gone, but all the other further imagined indignities that would surely not ever follow. I'm still angry over how WDW would next not take away all napkins forcing us to use our sleeves. Grrrr... RAGE!!!

LittleBuford

Well the falseness of a rumor from a wonky site hasn't gone to waste. We've managed to work up a good anger over it. And not over the bread that was never gone, but all the other further imagined indignities that would surely not ever follow. I'm still angry over how WDW would next not take away all napkins forcing us to use our sleeves. Grrrr... RAGE!!!

In fairness, the rumour may have had some basis in truth (see my post about Tony’s Town Square). Perhaps Disney really were trying out a new policy and have now relented in the face of a brewing backlash. Or perhaps there were other, temporary, reasons why bread couldn’t be offered in these instances and the CMs failed to explain the situation properly.

rowrbazzle

Free carbs are back!... or never they never left.

Unscrupulous fails again. The site that shall not be named is back tracking after they were once again called out on their fake news bread story.

"We are continuing complimentary bread service at all table-service restaurants. At this time, there are no plans to discontinue complimentary bread service at any of our table-service restaurants.”

So it was all about nothing except for clicks and shoddy "reporting"

My commentary: CorLESS has once again shown how irresponsible of a "journalist" he is. He lets his site publish unsubstantiated gossip as fact and because of his shameless self promotion does so from a position of self proclaimed authority. Him and his site represent everything that is wrong with the Disney fan community.

Not really. The original story (headlined as a rumor), states they were told directly by one manager that it was being eliminated at Epcot restaurants. An MK restaurant also said it was gone and it was being considered at others, via a CM at a third restaurant. That's not unsubstantiated; it's reporting.

Chomama

I know it may seem silly at this point but I do want to share my experience. I dined at Be Our Guest at the end of February for dinner. We asked for bread and were told very specifically that bread is no longer served in the MK. My friend had an allergy menu and tapioca rolls were even highlighted on the menu. Our server said they didn’t have the new menus but no sit down restaurants in MK served bread anymore. She was very uncomfortable having to say that because we were obviously confused. “Wait - like you don’t have any bread at all? Even the one on the menu?” I have a few friends who reported similar experiences at other MK restaurants INCLUDING CRT. Again, I don’t know if anyone cares but I just wanted to say it wasn’t a rumor and the cast had all been told it was official. Disney May be changing their tune or hoping this topic goes away. I’m not sure. But the bread was gone. Just sharing!!

LittleBuford

I know it may seem silly at this point but I do want to share my experience. I dined at Be Our Guest at the end of February for dinner. We asked for bread and were told very specifically that bread is no longer served in the MK. My friend had an allergy menu and tapioca rolls were even highlighted on the menu. Our server said they didn’t have the new menus but no sit down restaurants in MK served bread anymore. She was very uncomfortable having to say that because we were obviously confused. “Wait - like you don’t have any bread at all? Even the one on the menu?” I have a few friends who reported similar experiences at other MK restaurants INCLUDING CRT. Again, I don’t know if anyone cares but I just wanted to say it wasn’t a rumor and the cast had all been told it was official. Disney May be changing their tune or hoping this topic goes away. I’m not sure. But the bread was gone. Just sharing!!

Thanks for sharing this. Perhaps we should all be grateful to the other site for starting this "rumour" and potentially embarrassing Disney into changing its mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom