No more FastPass?

speck76

Another problem that may occur, and maybe some of our resident CM's can cast some light on this, is the perceived value of FP. If I grab a FP for an attraction, and my ride window is 3 or 4 hours away, but then when I finally get to ride, and the Stand-by line is only 10-15 minutes, I don't think that would make me too happy.

Although the corporate initiative for a system like FP is to keep guests out of lines and in the park spending, what is the guest's view....mine has always been to skip the line, but when the lines do not exist anyway, it lessens the value of the FP.

tigger248

I like fast pass and I do use it. However, I also agree that some attractions don't need it. The only problem I have with fast pass is that it makes the wait times unneccesarily long for many rides. I don't mind standing in the stand by line when it actually moves, but this isn't always the case. For example, on non fast pass days a line that takes 30-45 minutes is more like 60-90 minutes long on fast pass days.

Like I said, this isn't really a stab at fast passes as I do use them and enjoy using them. It's just my opinion on the fact that not every ride needs it. Rides like test track, splash, big thunder, etc. do need them, but rides like haunted mansion, for example do not need them.

TnkrBelPixiDust

I like fastpass and occasionally use it however I usually go to Disney during the off season so lines arent too bad. I agree with you...
Speck76:Although the corporate initiative for a system like FP is to keep guests out of lines and in the park spending...
I'm sure that Disney is cashing in big time with people spending... :)

ToTBellHop

TnkrBelPixiDust said:
I like fastpass and occasionally use it however I usually go to Disney during the off season so lines arent too bad. I agree with you...I'm sure that Disney is cashing in big time with people spending... :)
Actually...no. They aren't. That is the reason for the removal of so many FP attractions at Disneyland--they get a lot of guest complaints and those promised profits failed to materialize.

jcarriv

It seems to me that DL is not looking at revising fast pass in the correct way. Instead of removing fast pass altogether they should adjust the number of fast passes given out and remove FP from a few rides that do not need it like the omnimover rides. The stand by lines on FP attactions would move faster, and people will get later and later FP times thus keeping them in the park longer. Elimination elimination of FP would make me less likely to want to waste my day standing in long line after long line to get on a few rides in an entire day. My perception with having fast pass is that I will be able to go on a few rides that are must sees for me and will wait for whatever else seems reasonable to me that day.

Is my perception true? Perhaps not but it is a large part of what I will make decisions based on.

As far as I can tell DL is mismanaged and that doesn't seem like it is changing.

ToTBellHop

jcarriv said:
It seems to me that DL is not looking at revising fast pass in the correct way. Instead of removing fast pass altogether they should adjust the number of fast passes given out and remove FP from a few rides that do not need it like the omnimover rides. The stand by lines on FP attactions would move faster, and people will get later and later FP times thus keeping them in the park longer. Elimination elimination of FP would make me less likely to want to waste my day standing in long line after long line to get on a few rides in an entire day. My perception with having fast pass is that I will be able to go on a few rides that are must sees for me and will wait for whatever else seems reasonable to me that day.

Is my perception true? Perhaps not but it is a large part of what I will make decisions based on.

As far as I can tell DL is mismanaged and that doesn't seem like it is changing.
Did you read the changes? They are not getting rid of Faspass! They are removing it from rides that don't need it!

DisneyFan 2000

Yeah, like PotC! Although popular, that ride eats up thousands an hour! It's rare to see lines for it over 25 minutes! Same goes for HM. IMO Jungle Cruise doesn't need it either!

I must say though, I've always had a pleasent time standing in line at Disney. I find it quite a fun experience. It builds up the excitement and it's great to find neat little details along the way. IMO, FP should be used like at DLP. Only the main attractions that draw in a lot of crowds should remain with FP.

NemoRocks78

Seized
DisneyFan 2000 said:
IMO, FP should be used like at DLP. Only the main attractions that draw in a lot of crowds should remain with FP.

Agreed. They only have FP available at Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril, Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain, and Star Tours. Seems to work perfectly fine there, and that's the way it should be here in the US as well.

I'm still hoping that if the loss of FP on some attractions at DL makes wait times shorter, they'll try doing the same over here. I mean, do they actually think people are spending money on all kinds of things while waiting for there time to ride?

I've never been a fan of the FastPass system anyways. I rarely use it. If the ride has a long line, I'm just going to skip it and wait until my next visit to the parks to ride it. But I'm at the parks very often, so it isn't like I'll have to wait months or a year to ride that attraction again.

A bit off topic, but the Universal Express system seems to be in better order than the FP system is. Take a look at Kevin Yee's article from a while back and he explains why. Disney needs to improve on this.

Chape19714

brentley2 said:
Yep, that's about how I feel about it...if you don't like Fast Pass, don't use it...but then don't get mad at those of us who do use it. A casual observation I have made is that the people who really don't like FP are those people who get to go to the park A LOT. Those of us who can only get to the park once a year need to experience as much of the magic as we can, and FP certainly helps to do that.
I LOVE FP...don't take it away!

I go to the Parks 1-2 times a month (except during my pass' block-out days) and i still use FP a ton. I love the big rides, so FP is often the only way i can see them. So, i go alot and still love the system. I think it is more of the regulars and huge disney fanatics that use it. Everybody else doesn't know how to! :lol:

KEEP FP!

Chape19714

StevenT said:
I agree, I think in a few years fast pass should be removed from things like Stitch and Philharmagic, as the popularity dies down a little bit.

I think right now, most of the rides at the Magic Kingdom at least, need the fast pass except the Haunted Mansion. I have only used FP for that maybe twice.

yes, after lines get to a point, FP should be removed (MUPPETVISION had FP removed 6 months ago.) But FP is still good on some things for all time (TT, M:S, Space MT., Splash MT., etc.)

HM needs a FP for us real big HM fans (get a FP wait in line, you normally get 2 rides in quick succession)
Other parks need FP too. AK needs more FP's (lion king lol :lol: ) just kidding. AK is fine. I assume (which, i know is bad) Expedition Everest is getting FP.

Mr Bill

I like fastpass everywhere but TT. We usually head to Epcot in the second half of the day when FPs for TT are out. The line is 45 minutes long. Factor in the 3 breakdowns in 45 minutes, and the attendents that use the Standby line as filler for groups of Fastpass people and you get a 2 hour standby wait.

LadyDarling

I have to agree to the changes to fast pass systems in Disneyland. As a frequent DLer, there are some rides who's lines were made WORSE by fast passes. Pirates and the HM are GREAT examples of that! They both used to be the great relaxing rides with usually no more than a 15 minute wait. Now, the wait has escalated (during peak seasons) to over 45 minutes in some cases! If I wait 30 minutes, I wait too long IMHO.

DL attendance is down - which is sad for the business (great for the guests - no lines).

I think in WDW though, they've got the right idea in using fast passes. :) The only ride I don't really think could use it is Mission:Space (it seems to eat up lines quickly). I'm THRILLED that Maelstrom got it! Everytime I go (during the off season) the wait is usually around or over 1/2 an hour!

I also agree that some shows don't need it. I think (not positive) that Who Wants to be a Millionaire is more popular in MGM than in DCA, so having a fast pass for it would be nice, but then again, I've never NOT been able to walk in and find a seat at the last minute - then again, I go during the slowest time of the year.

(I'm still praying somehow we'll come up with the $$$ to make the WDW pilgramage this year, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen. :( Oh well... there's next year!)

SilverStar

My understanding of FP was that passes were always distributed as a percentage of guests in line. If adjustments need to be made they could just tweak the formula.

I got a chuckle about the idi*ts who get upset about fastpass users going to the front of the line. Whats the deal with these people?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Fast-pass is a neat idea, and it's nice to be able to skip some of the longer lines, but I find it makes me less relaxed. Instead of just working my way around and stopping and riding what I want, I have to think too much and plan out my schedule.

I guess it's nice to have the choice, but I wouldn't particularly mind if they got rid of it.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I am on the fence on the idea of fastpass. I know that when we were last at WDW, that there were still significant? wait times at rides like Test Track, and Space Mountain. That being said, is it really helping if you are still waiting 20 minutes for a ride, versus just riding at a slower time of day, (i.e. parade times, fireworks shows, etc. ) I can understand that when you use them during "peak" times of day, of course it's going to be useful versus waiting in line for an hour or more. But wouldn't you expect that kind of wait time if you ride during "peak" ride times anyway?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Fastpass is great if you can fit more rides in during your visit - people like myself only have 2 weeks (thats WDW, USF, Seaworld, Busch Gardens etc) every 5 years or so... the more we can do the better (plus with the current regieme what is your favourite ride may no longer be there next time)

However one question - at Test Track is the standby line still outside, with the fastpass line in the themed queue area? I mean come on, isn`t this a little back to front?

LadyDarling

marni1971 said:
However one question - at Test Track is the standby line still outside, with the fastpass line in the themed queue area? I mean come on, isn`t this a little back to front?

Funny you should notice that. I've found (aftering having waited in both lines) that you get more in-line entertainment (stuff to look at, etc.) in the standby line, but also, I've never gotten in that line when it's out the door. I think the Single Rider's line was the best idea EVER! :) Especially for a ride that seats and odd number of people. But you do make a good point! There have been times I've zipped through with my fast pass, and actually wished there WAS more of a line so I could look at things!

PhotoDave219

Like I said, its being looked at and evaluated. As to any proposed changes, thats not up to me and im not in that loop. My impressions are that FP would be improved/enhanced, rather than removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom