No Monorail Expansion For A While

Invero

The layout of WDW back then, a monorail worked. As WDW is laid out now, a fixed guideway system would not work. It would be too complex, would not be efficient or optimized, and would require guests to transfer, which is a major no-no.

prberk

carvalho63 said:
I think Ray Bradbury said it best “The secret of Disney is doing things you don’t need and doing them well, and then you realize you needed them all along”.

Expand the monorail!!!

Here, here!

Anyone who has not seen Ray Bradbury's interview (with this quote) on the "Tomorrowland" disc from the newest "Walt Disney Treasures" series is completely missing out.

The value of the monorail is much more than as simple transportation, but as that it certainly does carry a lot of weight. It transports MANY people fast and above the traffic, and it rarely goes down.

However, as I have said, its value must also be counted in its allure to being part of the universally expected Disney experience. People associate it with Disney, and I daresay that more people have been attracted to stay on property during their NEXT visit because of riding past the Contempary and Poly (and later, the Grand Floridian) than for any other reason.

The next expeansion should be as originally planned: from the EPCOT station to circle the EPCOT resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, Swan & Dolphin), and perhaps a separate train from the EPCOT station to Downtown Disney, MGM, and DAK. The luxury resorts should be the resorts where it stops, although everyone would like to see it expanded further.

Invero

prberk said:
The value of the monorail is much more than as simple transportation, but as that it certainly does carry a lot of weight. It transports MANY people fast and above the traffic, and it rarely goes down.
Actually, it goes down more than you think.

prberk said:
The next expeansion should be as originally planned: from the EPCOT station to circle the EPCOT resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, Swan & Dolphin), and perhaps a separate train from the EPCOT station to Downtown Disney, MGM, and DAK. The luxury resorts should be the resorts where it stops, although everyone would like to see it expanded further.
Hmm... not a good plan. First off, stops at the Epcot Resorts -- where would they be? You can't really have a stop for each resort, simple logistics just wouldn't allow. Everything would be too close to each other. As it stands now, guests hate when the bus goes to the 5 resorts, and many routes have been split up because of this. Now you're saying each resort should have its own stop? But then again, it's either that, or make them walk long distances to get to the stop. Next we have ridership. You'd have the same problems that the Grand Floridian has every morning. None of thier guests can get onto the monorail to the Magic Kingdom because it arrives full from the CR and Poly. With buses, you can divert them, and have them start where the last bus filled up. With a fixed guideway system, you can't.

Next you have routing. One monorail going to multiple parks? Well, now you have extended travel times. Not to mention, what happens during a park exit, and those trains are jam packed from the first park? How will the second park fit on?

My point being this -- money is not the only reason it won't happen. Logistically speaking, it would not work, and just cause more headaches. Yes, people love the monorail, but I can't tell you how many guests I've spoken to who would rather take a direct bus, than have to transfer on a monorail, or experience what I described above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom