no Lions on the safari

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
In February, we took a late afternoon safari and had the most amazing lion experience ever. Fortunately, we were able to get it captured on film...

We made that turn and saw the male lion ambling about, nothing too unusual:
180018_10100334303949089_8805345_60191053_7329409_n.jpg

The male lion, however, wanted to "play":
182937_10100334304068849_8805345_60191055_3583514_n.jpg

However, she was certainly not in the "mood":
180548_10100334304203579_8805345_60191057_5911212_n.jpg

So, after she fought him off, she hopped down to a different rock:
183704_10100334304333319_8805345_60191059_6208361_n.jpg

He wasn't happy, and roared at her:
182919_10100334304862259_8805345_60191066_7368421_n.jpg

The best part about this scene was that our driver, Kyle, had the good sense to stop the van, and just put the microphone down and let everyone watch this scene unfold. When it was finally over, even he was speechless and just said, "wow."

After we returned to Harambe, I thanked him for doing that, because I know they're not really supposed to stop. However, this seemed worth breaking the rules for.

sweetpee_1993

We saw the lions when we were there...not sure the exact day without reading my notes but it was between 9/10 & 9/15. However, just like the OP said with the lions, we had no crocs. Not a single one. The driver didn't even acknowledge or mention them when we were near their empty area. And there weren't any in the croc display that's near the Restaurantosaurus in DinoLand either. I was talking to another lady about the MIA crocs when we got off KS. She's a local and said she was told they were having their stomachs purged. I remember our Sunrise Safari guide mentioning this procedure back in 1/2010. The purging has something to do with keeping them from hibernating and avoiding the contents of their bellies fermenting in the heat which would certainly be an unhealthy thing. So we all got a chuckle over the unhappy crocs off to have their 'cleansing'.... :lol:

PHSCoach

In February, we took a late afternoon safari and had the most amazing lion experience ever. Fortunately, we were able to get it captured on film...

180018_10100334303949089_8805345_60191053_7329409_n.jpg

182937_10100334304068849_8805345_60191055_3583514_n.jpg

180548_10100334304203579_8805345_60191057_5911212_n.jpg

183704_10100334304333319_8805345_60191059_6208361_n.jpg

182919_10100334304862259_8805345_60191066_7368421_n.jpg

The best part about this scene was that our driver, Kyle, had the good sense to stop the van, and just put the microphone down and let everyone watch this scene unfold. When it was finally over, even he was speechless and just said, "wow."

After we returned to Harambe, I thanked him for doing that, because I know they're not really supposed to stop. However, this seemed worth breaking the rules for.

Great shots, you were very lucky> Thanks for sharing.

suechris2

Original Poster
great view of the cheetahs

we go a lot and this trip was the first one that we got a good view of the cheetahs. they weren't way back in the shade like usual. they were out laying in the sun.

ddbowdoin

I've never seen the lions in clear view, they may be lounging but to have that Simba moment where he's yawning or roaring (lol) that is AMAZING

AintNoOtherMan

My grammy thinks they're fake. Maybe some rain broke them haha jk.

They could be sick or something.

I've never gone on it without seeing the lions. They're not amazing. They just sit under the tree. Not missing much xD.

Interesting fact: Did you know that there's a moat surrounding the lion's area? That way it can't get too close to the cars.*-*

AEfx

Yeah they seem to be always laying down out of sight. We have seen them but usually it's just their hair hanging over the rock.

That's all I've ever seen as well, which is why I don't get the praise the attraction gets. It is extremely hit or miss - but that doesn't make a good theme park attraction, since most guests get to ride every few years at most, if they get to go more than once at all.

And when they DO have some good animals out, they rush you past even faster than normal so the trucks behind you actually get to see something, because it's so rare.

It's pretty typical of the AK as a whole - gorgeous, lush, but severely lacking underneath the spectacle.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's all I've ever seen as well, which is why I don't get the praise the attraction gets. It is extremely hit or miss - but that doesn't make a good theme park attraction, since most guests get to ride every few years at most, if they get to go more than once at all.

And when they DO have some good animals out, they rush you past even faster than normal so the trucks behind you actually get to see something, because it's so rare.

It's pretty typical of the AK as a whole - gorgeous, lush, but severely lacking underneath the spectacle.
This unfortunately is the nature of attractions with wild animals. As I am sure your remember, the reason the JC is what it is was because live animals were undependable. When you think about it, the unpredictable nature of the animals on KS adds to realism of the attraction. If you have ever done any kind of tour like this in the wild seeing animals is more often miss than hit.

We have always had good luck with KS, but we also make sure to do it early in the morning when the animals are more active.

Phonedave

My grammy thinks they're fake. Maybe some rain broke them haha jk.

They could be sick or something.

I've never gone on it without seeing the lions. They're not amazing. They just sit under the tree. Not missing much xD.

Interesting fact: Did you know that there's a moat surrounding the lion's area? That way it can't get too close to the cars.*-*

There is also an AC vent there to entice them to lay on the rocks in plain sight when it is hot out, as opposed to going into the shade.

-dave

tink729

I was in the Animal Kingdom on Friday September 30 and we saw both a female and a male lion sleeping on the rocks in plain view. We only saw one elephant early on and the driver did not really make a big deal of spotting it. So maybe when they know the animals won't be around they won't point them out or pretend to be looking for them. Perhaps the lions were removed for a short period of time for some reason and when that happens the drivers are told to just not mention missing them?:shrug:

AEfx

This unfortunately is the nature of attractions with wild animals. As I am sure your remember, the reason the JC is what it is was because live animals were undependable. When you think about it, the unpredictable nature of the animals on KS adds to realism of the attraction. If you have ever done any kind of tour like this in the wild seeing animals is more often miss than hit.

We have always had good luck with KS, but we also make sure to do it early in the morning when the animals are more active.

They could add realism to a lot of things, but that doesn't make it more fun. ;)

I know what you mean, but like a lot of other things in AK it seems the priorities were skewed. KS feels more like they were trying to impress with sheer numbers ("it's almost as big as the whole MK!") and concept vs. guest experience.

You definitely see more in the early morning. But that still leaves the rest of the day full of guests to ride.

Personally, I think the environments were simply too large. Again, like much of the rest of AK, they spent so much time creating environments to be aesthetically pleasing they largely forgot about function. If the Lions can go away from the road with the tourists, and be out of sight, that kind of defeats the purpose. I truly feel bad for people who are on a "once in a lifetime" Disney trip and don't have the luxury like you and I do of being able to ride more frequently.

It's just the mantra of AK - 90% frosting, 10% cake.

lbrad

I saw the lions in July :shrug:
Would post the picture but I don't know how & my tech savy daughter is away at school.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They could add realism to a lot of things, but that doesn't make it more fun. ;)

I know what you mean, but like a lot of other things in AK it seems the priorities were skewed. KS feels more like they were trying to impress with sheer numbers ("it's almost as big as the whole MK!") and concept vs. guest experience.

You definitely see more in the early morning. But that still leaves the rest of the day full of guests to ride.

Personally, I think the environments were simply too large. Again, like much of the rest of AK, they spent so much time creating environments to be aesthetically pleasing they largely forgot about function. If the Lions can go away from the road with the tourists, and be out of sight, that kind of defeats the purpose. I truly feel bad for people who are on a "once in a lifetime" Disney trip and don't have the luxury like you and I do of being able to ride more frequently.

It's just the mantra of AK - 90% frosting, 10% cake.
Sounds like my kind of cake!:slurp::lol:

MarkTwain

That's hilarious!! :ROFLOL:

RonAnnArbor

Just for the record, it is standard procedure now on the Safari to NOT mention animals that are not out on exhibit that day. That goes for elephants which are often not out either, and they even have the whole running narrative about elephants. For whatever reason, the Lions were not out, and the Safari driver was following procedure, which is, don't talk about animals you don't see. In the past, they have also been told not to do anticipatory comments, i.e. "as we go around this corner you should see some kudzu"...in case they are not there. The safari cars DO communicate with each other, which riders are not aware of, but the narrative procedure is "you don't see it? don't mention it".

janoimagine

Went on the safari a couple of times last week and there were no Lions. Not only that the drivers never said anything when we drove by. As if they didn't exist at all.

Saw them on Oct 4th, both the lioness and the lion, early morning safari, then saw them again on Oct 6th ... mid afternoon ... not sure why you didnt see them. I have several shots of them. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom