No Halloween decorations till after Night of Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

draybook

I like how some people here, without any substantial evidence that this is happening OR why it might happen, are quick to insult and demean the people that attend Night of Joy. I guess that judging people is okay as long as you don't claim to be a Christian.......

Yes, I'm aware of the claims of high levels of shoplifting and I wouldn't be surprised since I was a pastor/rabbi's kid. I just get amused when I see the villagers grab their torches and pitchforks...

/edited to add: I also find it hilarious that many people on this forum make jokes about how the holidays start earlier and earlier at Disney yet when a religious group MIGHT have something to do with decorations being put up late then it's, "oh man, we can't stand for this!"

JR864

Original Poster
I like how some people here, without any substantial evidence that this is happening OR why it might happen, are quick to insult and demean the people that attend Night of Joy. I guess that judging people is okay as long as you don't claim to be a Christian.......

Yes, I'm aware of the claims of high levels of shoplifting and I wouldn't be surprised since I was a pastor/rabbi's kid. I just get amused when I see the villagers grab their torches and pitchforks...

/edited to add: I also find it hilarious that many people on this forum make jokes about how the holidays start earlier and earlier at Disney yet when a religious group MIGHT have something to do with decorations being put up late then it's, "oh man, we can't stand for this!"

Agreed... I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on the event or attendees... Just thinking this was likely the case of a particularly vocal cadre in the planners...

Plus I don't like Christmas to go up early, but I'm selfish and thought with the overcast gloomy clouds and lower temps, Main Street would have looked so cool tonight

Cmdr_Crimson

Disneyland already is in full swing with decorating Main Street and the Stores in WDW are selling Halloween Merch so it won't be too far until MK gets into it. I'd say second week of Sept will start seeing it Since MNSSHP usually start about the 2nd to last week in Sept.

IHeartArt

If this is true, it's an utter shame and makes no sense. Halloween has a Christian (though it may just be Catholic and not a part of all denominations, I'm not sure) component known as All Saints Day where the honored souls of those who've reached Heaven are remembered. If there's outcry over pagan sources, then I'm glad that Night of Joy isn't also during December. Jesus wasn't born on Christmas, after all. It was originally a Roman solstice festival that was co-opted as the celebration of the birth of Christ by the early church in order to attract new members of the faith.

draybook

Night of Joy is September 6-7 and the first MNSSHP is on the 10th. The decorations will be up, let's get out of hand here. Disney may do some stupid things sometimes but hosting the party without the decorations won't be one of them.

So.......

71jason

I think when ever you get such large groups of teens you will see the same behavior.

Had a friend who actually volunteered with youth groups over in Daytona explain that a lot of churches basically hand out tickets as a way of preaching the faith--you get church teens and their friends from high school. And nowhere near enough chaperones.

Cast Members routinely use very un-Christian words to describe the NoJ crowd (Team Members say the same about Rock the Universe). Basically anyone with enough seniority to get out of working does so. Anecdotally, I've parked in Universal's garage literally over 1,000 times and the only time my car was ever vandalized was during Rock the Universe.

In any case, I'm as big a Halloween fan as anyone, but anything that delays decorations until mid-September is alright with me.

Goofnut1980

I'll keep this brief. I enjoy Halloween. I don't think it's evil but it's not a Christian holiday either. NOJ is early Sept. Let those attend enjoy it and the music and not be distracted by Halloween decorations. Besides, MNSSHP (which I'm attending 9/29) doesn't start until after it either.

I am Catholic but technically, Christmas is not a Christian holiday either.. it's Pagan winter festival...

BwanaBob

Tech has been busy installing all the SFX lighting throughout the park this past week for MNSSHP.
Testing has been happening both during and after park hours.

There has been a FLOOD of activity in the park after park clear... a lot of stuff still going on inside Main Street as well as cranes, scaffolding, a construction. Wouldn't surprise me if they are working around a tight schedule between finishing other projects at the same time.

It happens quickly... and the extent of decorations is not as difficult as Christmas.
Light-post deco, scarecrows, and bunting can all be done in one night.
Decorations were up last year during NOJ. I have not heard anything otherwise for this year.

Last edited:

Prock3

Night of joy is absolutely as bad as its described.

Its so bad that they feel the need to position county sheriffs on each of the ferryboats to help the crowd stay in control.

Im not sure if shoplifting is bad but there are other things that are worse than normal.

The Mom

Premium Member
We have had much more rain, and more storms with high winds, than last year. On an almost daily basis for the last month or so. Perhaps this has something to do with the delay?

Regardless, this discussion is starting to get a little nasty, so time to say good-night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom