No gum?

momrek06

Bytowner said:
It's not just Disney refusing to sell gum. Last time I was there I was at the airport heading home. I usually buy gum to chew on the airplane to help equalize the pressure in my ears.

But nobody at Orlando International Airport sells gum for the very same reasons Disney won't sell gum. Apparently too many people just leave it on almost anything.

Same with Logan Inter Airport in Boston, no gum!! They (as well) do not want to clean up the mess, so traveling out of Logan, you need to bring your own gum from home if you need it for pressure. :p

DisneyBride94

Dwight Benedict said:
If you ask why they don't sell gum they say Mickey doesn't chew gum. Apparently Mickey drinks Vodka...

I can't say I blame him... If I were Mickey and had to deal with all the guests on a daily basis...I'd also be ready for an alcoholic beverage at the end of each day.:sohappy:

CrashNet

sar1980sweetie said:
Actually, I don't think its more acceptable to smoke then to chew gum. After all, they don't sell cigarettes at the parks, and people are only allowed to smoke in certain areas whereas gum chewers are allowed to chew where ever they want as long as they bring their own.

Side note- Personally, I think they should not allow smoking at all at WDW because guests come for the experience, not the second hand smoke and the hassle of getting around the flocks of chimney's blowing on their cancer sticks.
Well, you would be happy to know just how strict (at least the group I work with in EPCOT) is with guests smoking outside of the designated areas. I mean we're talking if someone pulls one out and starts to light it and they are in a nonsmoking area, two of us are over there pointing them to the closest area. And if you thought keeping guests on the right side of ropes and railings is fun, people do NOT like it when they are told they can't smoke where they are standing. But, it is a nonsmoking park, so we have to uphold the rules.

As for gum, as everyone already said, its to keep down on messing up the park. It would take forever to clean up, and we all know what those parks look like where gum is on the ground and was never cleaned up. All of those black spots.

Every cast member, not just custodial, picks up trash. We call it the "Disney Scoop", but I'm sure many, MANY people here have heard of that before. Whats scary, though, is when I'm visiting the park with friends, and I pick up trash. They always look at me like I have a third eye or something. :lol:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
cac2889 said:
Every cast member, not just custodial, picks up trash. We call it the "Disney Scoop", but I'm sure many, MANY people here have heard of that before. Whats scary, though, is when I'm visiting the park with friends, and I pick up trash. They always look at me like I have a third eye or something. :lol:

I make a point of picking up trash anywhere I go. My son has learned from that example and does so himself without my prompting... I'm always proud when he does. :sohappy:

Now, if we could just convince the other 99.999% of the world! :brick::brick::brick:

Dragonrider1227

Woody13 said:
Chewing gum is a nasty habit. Didn't Willy Wonka teach you anything? :wave:
"I know a worse one." :D

Anyway, I think it must be because if they sold gum, then we'd have wads of it on the ground everywhere. You know people can't pick up after themselves. :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Yellow Shoes said:
Doesn't anyone just swallow the gum if they can't dispose of it properly?

Eww! :hurl:

Do you know what goes into gum? Your digestive system isn't designed to cope with that! :lookaroun

How hard can it be to wrap it in a piece of paper and if a garbage can isn't handy, pocket it til one is? Sorry, but I've always found chewing gum a rather repulsive habit, reminisent of a cow chewing her cud [but less appetizing :lol:].

Yellow Shoes

Gum is inert and passes easily.

Wanna know how I know??

Let's just say that when my son was still in diapers, he swallowed some gum.

I mean, really, it CANNOT be worse for your system than the deep fried cream cheese danish at Cinderella's breakfast.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Yellow Shoes said:
Gum is inert and passes easily.

Wanna know how I know??

Let's just say that when my son was still in diapers, he swallowed some gum.

I mean, really, it CANNOT be worse for your system than the deep fried cream cheese danish at Cinderella's breakfast.

But the deep fried cream cheese danish at Cinderella's breakfast sounds much better! Sigh, another dent in my diet resolve... :brick:

Gonna have to try that too! :slurp:

Woody13

Yellow Shoes said:
Doesn't anyone just swallow the gum if they can't dispose of it properly?
Only if my mother says don't chew it, then I swallow it in spite. I can catch it on my tonsils, and can heave it left & right. But, my chewing gum does lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight.:lookaroun :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Woody13 said:
Only if my mother says don't chew it, then I swallow it in spite. I can catch it on my tonsils, and can heave it left & right. But, my chewing gum does lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight.:lookaroun :lookaroun

Ok, now I feel OLD -- but at least not alone! :lol:

figmentmom

cac2889 said:

Hee hee...I'm back home (I worked as a seasonal Cast Member in the Magic Kingdom this past summer), and not only am I still "scooping" up trash, but I'm still doing the Disney point (my husband - and my students in school - think it's a riot :lol: ))

ICP06

cac2889 said:
Well, you would be happy to know just how strict (at least the group I work with in EPCOT) is with guests smoking outside of the designated areas. I mean we're talking if someone pulls one out and starts to light it and they are in a nonsmoking area, two of us are over there pointing them to the closest area. And if you thought keeping guests on the right side of ropes and railings is fun, people do NOT like it when they are told they can't smoke where they are standing. But, it is a nonsmoking park, so we have to uphold the rules.

Last time I was at the land, there was this unbelieveable... b***h in the line with us for Living with the Land. And she just out of the blue lit up and started smoking. Most everyone in the line was glaaaaaring at her and she just glared back-all the while smoking.

Eventually someone sent their daughter out of the line to one of the load CMs at the attraction. Needless to say, he came running down to tell her to put it out. She glared at him, took 3 or 4 more puffs and then put it out on the ground. Good heavens, we hated her. Totally annoying.

Well done and thanks to all the CMs out there who deal with these rude people on a daily basis! Much appreciated!

ICP06

P.S. I just thought... isnt the line for living with the land carpeted? There's probably a cigarette burn there now... Grr.

Unless it's tiled. Or has been rehabbed since the pavilion was... :hammer:

cac2889 said:

As for gum, as everyone already said, its to keep down on messing up the park. It would take forever to clean up, and we all know what those parks look like where gum is on the ground and was never cleaned up. All of those black spots.

I was that way with guests who smoked in DAK when I worked there too, but I hated it when I went to the parks when I wasn't working and saw people doing it (or had to be down wind of those people) in other areas and the cast was just ignoring it.:brick: Not to mention, people just throw their smokes all over the ground in and out of those areas, what a mess!

My favorite sneaky guest action was seeing the guest who notices a cast member and puts the cig. down near their hip or behind their back so the cast member "doesn't see them smoking" out of the area. Hmmmm... I can't see that smoke coming from your side/back or smell it at all... and doing that is like admitting guilt to knowing your not supposed to be smoking there. Its actually kinda funny!:lol:

zone15int

billybluenose said:
Bands are also not allowed to sell stickers at House of Blues shows for the same reason.

Bummer.

-Billy

Are you sure? When I saw The Cramps perform @ HoB a few months ago, I swear that I saw them selling stickers there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom