No gum?

Scooter

Popcorn and peanuts are easily taken care of with the Streetsweeping machines.

Gum, unfortunately, is not so easily removed.

They have to use Industrial strength, high PSI Pressure washers with hot water to removed the ground in/stepped on wads of gum.

Woody13

Scooter said:
Gum, unfortunately, is not so easily removed.

They have to use Industrial strength, high PSI Pressure washers with hot water to removed the ground in/stepped on wads of gum.
You're right! :wave: Look at any Wal*Mart parking lot to see the results of gum.

scottnj1966

superniftychick said:
I was just reading an endless vacation magazine, and was surprised to read that no gum is sold at WDW. Does anyone know the reason why it is not sold there? or was the magazine wrong?:confused:

Just make a wild guess. Ever been to Six Flag over Georgia? If you have not well your in for a treat. You can scrape off any plavor you like at that park.
Alot of people no longer care about being clean or even human anymore.

They stick gum everywhere. So if you dont sell it, they cant stick it.

Jamie P

unkadug said:
I don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a tree at Six Flags Over Georgia (in the queue for the raft ride) that was literally covered in chewing gum. It was absolutely disgusting.:hurl:

Yes it is still "disgustingly" there. I was at Six Flags this summer and I actually watched as two young men added to the collection. I have been a Georgia resident for more than 30 years, so I spent many a summer weekend visiting Six Flags here. As far back as I can remember, that tree has been there. I am guessing it is a symbolic thing now, but it is really gross.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
unkadug said:
I don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a tree at Six Flags Over Georgia (in the queue for the raft ride) that was literally covered in chewing gum. It was absolutely disgusting.:hurl:
that is why i quit going to SF over GA in the mid 90's..... the sheer quality of the property is nothing to be desired..... im not a fan of places were i feel i need a bath after being there a few hours.

it is disgusting.

Frumpy

figmentmom said:
I followed a large group of gum-chewing people one night through the line at Splash Mountain, and every single one of them deposited their gum on the inside walls (shudder).

I rode SM first thing next morning, and every bit of that gum had been removed. I don't blame Disney one little bit for the no-gum policy in their stores.

I went once around grad night and the whole rock wall just inside the mountain was plasterd with it YACK!

timkelmom

superniftychick said:
I was just reading an endless vacation magazine, and was surprised to read that no gum is sold at WDW. Does anyone know the reason why it is not sold there? or was the magazine wrong?:confused:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Most people are quite inconsiderate. Besides, how gross is that job?!!

rad_rat

As I understand it, this was a policy established by Walt himself when Disneyland opened in 1955. So, it isn't a new policy. And, apparently, the problem of people behaving like slobs isn't a new problem either.

fredtom

There's a very simple reason why chewing gum is not sold on Disney property, and it goes back to the very beginning... Walt did not want the guests stepping in gum.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Good luck finding a pack of smokes, when I used to smoke and was at WDW, it wasn't like they advertised where or if they sold any in the parks. Thankfully I have quit. However, I still chew lots of gum. I thinks it's an oral fixation thing. I guess either way you need to come prepared or go without. It seems like I had trouble finding straws as well unless it was the hard plastic ones that came with a fancy cup.

PBarton

superniftychick said:
That question is like asking "Why don't they sell spray paint in the parks".... it is just asking for trouble!

GoofyMom2

Last Aug we were eating at a counter service in the Dolphin and I happened to feel gum stuck under the table. Ick!! A CM (still called that there?) was very upset by it and explained that is why it isn't sold anywhere. Actually, I think i is a good idea. Gum wall on Space Mountain and having it all over my shoes does not sound very appealing to me.....:hurl:

If you want it, bring it with you along with your other snacks. Just dispose of it properly as you would other trash.....

We also bring straws with us as our little one has trouble drinking from a cup without one.

Hey.... if ever at Whispering Canyon Cafe make sure you ask for a straw! LOL

I used to work at DAK and they didn't sell gum for two reasons. The first has been discussed... clean parks, the other is the safety of the animals. Its the same reason there are no disposable straws or bottle tops there either, to protect the wildlife in the park from litterbugs. Though last time I was there they seemed to have started giving guests the tops to the soda/water bottles again (or that cast member didn't remember). DAK tries to be an enviro-friendly park.

MickeyTigg

CommunicoreBabe said:
It seems like I had trouble finding straws as well unless it was the hard plastic ones that came with a fancy cup.

Only at Animal Kingdom....they have plenty of straws in all the other restaurants.

bsandersjr

Well, considering people have trouble throwing a simple piece of trash in the garbage can, could you imagine what a mess it would be if they made chewing gum available to the guest?

Nicole

billybluenose said:
It is officially more acceptable to smoke at WDW than to chew gum.

You never hear the gum chewers complain, though.

-Billy

This is not something I have any firsthand knowledge of as I am not a smoker, but I would imagine they don't sell cigarettes in any of those same places they don't sell gum.

However neither gum nor cigarettes are forbidden in the parks. They just aren't necessarily encouraged, as opposed to say, Mickey ice cream bars.

billybluenose said:
Nope. And the free Big Red Gum that was supposed to be given out as part of the Big Red sale at the Virgin Megastore was not given out either.

It is officially more acceptable to smoke at WDW than to chew gum.

You never hear the gum chewers complain, though.

-Billy

Actually, I don't think its more acceptable to smoke then to chew gum. After all, they don't sell cigarettes at the parks, and people are only allowed to smoke in certain areas whereas gum chewers are allowed to chew where ever they want as long as they bring their own.

Side note- Personally, I think they should not allow smoking at all at WDW because guests come for the experience, not the second hand smoke and the hassle of getting around the flocks of chimney's blowing on their cancer sticks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom