No "free dinning" rumor

Lucky

Points well taken and very true. I guess I just get tired of hearing how free dining is the "end all, be all" of Disney World discounts when in reality it isn't the greatest.

And you also have to consider what the DDP is worth to you, not just its price, when comparing discounts. Suppose instead of free dining they had a free golf promotion. To some people that would be completely worthless and inferior to even a 5% room discount offer, although the dollar savings would be just a tiny fraction of the nominal value of the free golf.

luvmydisneyrt

Free dining is a huge savings. A table service for 4 is at least $100 per meal and QS is about $40 per meal (two adults, teen and pre teen) plus a snack for 8 days is worth more than 30% off a room. We stay in the Wilderness Lodge standard room is $265 with 30% it's about $80 off a night. So it's much less a savings than the free dining.

I saw that Disney already offered the UK free dining for most of 2013. How come we get so much less of a time span?

DisneyDebNJ

I can surely understand people being annoyed when they call to make dining reservations, only to find, the restaurants of choice, are fully booked. It has happened to all of us. However, a lot of families who dream of a trip to Disney, rely on this type of *pixie dust* to make that dream come true. We have never had the pleasure of free dining during any stay, as a matter of fact we had ONE year where a room discount was offered (which we took advantage of) and then free dining was offered during the same time frame.
I don't consider myself any better than any other Disney goer I happen to encounter at the parks, and if they're able to get into a restaurant that my family isn't able to (during a free dining promotion or not), good for them!!!
To even suggest, free dining has anything to do with obesity, is absolutely ludicrous!!! (and for the record, the GAC/ECV issue comment, really wasn't called for, there are many reasons these vehicles are needed NOT all caused by over eating) There are certainly healthy eating options at Disney. (IF this is better suited for their lifestyle) MANY as a matter of fact. Forego the fries for apple slices, opt for a salad instead of fried chicken nuggets and fries. What, how or why people choose to eat is their business and no one else's.
I say YES to free dining, if families can save a few hundred dollars and up by this promotion, good for them!!! Everyone should have an opportunity to express their love for Disney, be it counting money in a change jar, working more over time, or being able to take advantage of free dining!!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, because dining at disney was so affordable before DDP... I mean, it's not like they were raising prices on food anyway and had been for years before DDP... and will continue to do so in the future long after it's gone... :animwink:

I've never used DDP, btw.

Of course food prices would have gone up anyway. But the DDP, and I think, free dining, has driven them up faster then would be natural.

Paul G.

Does it? I have never paid rack rate for a room at Disney ever. I haven't done the math to see if a room discount or free dining is better. A 40% room discount on moderate and deluxe resorts has to be a substantial savings as well. This may not be true with the lesser discounts on value rooms.

As a DVC member it's definitely not worth it to give up using points and the discount they bring to pay rack rate out of pocket. I can pay for dining and come out ahead.

I, in general, hate free dining and the DDP. Can't get a reservation, staff is simply trying to turn the table as quickly as possible and the food is the same everywhere.

We are booked for the last 2 weeks of August with the dining plan free.Just priced it out with and without free dining.It is a saving of $2500.If you like to sit down to a nice meal every day it's tough to beat that deal.

Mawg

Disney offers discounts to fill gaps during the off season. They offer more resort discounts when they can't fill up their resorts. If they are having problems filling up their resorts and their restaurants then a free Disney dinning plan for resort guests is a great way to fill both. Disney needs ALL of their restaurants to stay at a 75% to a 100% booked capacity. A lot of us will order from a local grocer that delivers and bring in food to save money and then only book a couple of meals during our stay. Disney has a lot of restaurant staff that works for primarily tips. If capacity falls then these employees have to be laid off during the off season. It's not easy to staff for busy days and holidays when you've to lay off a lot of your staff during the off season. The only way I see Free DDP going away is if Disney thinks they can keep their restaurants full without it. DVC people may hate it because it limits the available tables and ability to walk in. But having a booked restaurant is exactly what Disney wants. And, just because it's free doesn’t mean they’re not going to spend additional money or at least tip and pay some of the server’s salary.

Uncle Lupe

I would like to get a servers position of the DDP. I would see it has least getting butts in seats. If you are on the DDP free or not, or paying out of pocket it is still your own choice to tip. However with no customers no tips at all. When we had our lunch at the Coral reef that place was empty compared to other restaurants. If not on the plan we would just have grabbed a CS meal or just snacks.

The elitist view of I'm to good/can afford not to be on the DDP is just silly. If it gets people to stay on property, that's generally will lead to more money in Disney pockets.

If my crying child ruined your entire dining experience I'm, sorry...:rolleyes:

flavious27

I haven't even been paying attention then because the rise in cost of out-of-pocket meals for us has been negligible.

Oh. I haven't been to Boma but I assumed it was one of the snooty fruity restaurants that charge $40 for a small cube of steak and garnish then call that a fine meal. lol

Think of it as a slightly nicer Biergarten, but with african food.

Yes, because dining at disney was so affordable before DDP... I mean, it's not like they were raising prices on food anyway and had been for years before DDP... and will continue to do so in the future long after it's gone... :animwink:

I've never used DDP, btw.

Or anywhere else where the house has no competition. The price of food in WDW is going to be more expensive than what is at home, but it is comparable to other amusement parks and sporting events. The only difference is that disney gives us more than burgers and fries.

Welcome to a discussion forum.

welcome-1.jpg

Seems about right.

cowanfamily

Eliminating free dining is sitting on the same table as moving the hat from HS!! Unfortunately that table is in a room all by itself.
It's never gonna happen!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom