No D23 Expo This Year?

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Seeing that I wanted to report the story without any bias, I'd like to take this opportunity to offer my opinion on the matter:

This sucks. :lol:

While I am not surprised that Disney will not be putting out this highly "Disney-fied" experience due to cost, value, and accessibility issues, it is a shame that the expo will not be had, seeing it was a perfect opportunity for PR and showcasing the Disney Industry. Although only available to the exclusive few who get to travel to the expo (Be it their prerogative and ability to, remains wholly up to them)I suppose Disney will take other ways of getting information out to the public...like they did for our Nightastic Announcement.

This does say something about the popularity of the 1st Expo, and perhaps the whole D23 Program...but that's my highly contested opinion, as I'm sure
it's known. :D

The article did hint at there being a second one every two years, however.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No big surprise. When the last D23 expo was going on there were quite a few questions raised concerning whether they could do something on that scale every year. Most of those questions were answered with a resounding no.

sponono88

Saw that on Twitter earlier.. disappointing news because I was hoping to go again this year! I guess it makes sense though, since they pretty much announced everything that had to be announced at last year's expo.

sponono88

2009 was a great expo - wish I could have been there.

Oh well, maybe in 2011? :shrug: Maybe not . . .

from the article

The Disney plan, as of now, is to stage the D23 Expo as a biennial event, which means we'll have to wait until 2011 to see the second edition.

this should give people plenty of time to plan a trip to see the expo in 2011, which I highly recommend. It's so worth it!

WDWExplorer

Banned
they after the 2011 expo, they announce it'll be every five years... Really thinking the d23 thing didn't pan out the way disney expected..

TP2000

I'm not surprised really. I was totally blown away by the GIANTscale and very extensive scope of the D23 Expo when I went last September. Especially the amazing and very lavish Parks & Resorts Pavillion that I spent several hours exploring.

It had to have cost Disney a fortune to stage that huge event over four days, using the entire footprint of the largest convention center on the West Coast. And since they have already announced everything coming through 2012, I guess there's no big rush to stage another one in Anaheim this year.

Let's just hope they really do another one in 2011, and it wasn't just a one-hit wonder.

Next Big Thing

I'm actually surprised so many people didn't see this coming. I actually was never expecting one. I think going biannual with this event is the perfect way to go. Last years D23, like so many have said, was great and would love to go again. Well it wouldn't be as great this year if they didn't have as much cool stuff to announce now would it? I mean they were struggling to come up with things to talk about at the press even a few weeks ago b/c they announced EVERYTHING that they were going to announce at D23. I just think this is the better route to go with this type of event, I really do.th

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
That may still happen, just not for another year.
Why? Disney has a billion other means of getting their PR out. Like they did with Nightastic.
I'm not surprised really. I was totally blown away by the GIANTscale and very extensive scope of the D23 Expo when I went last September. Especially the amazing and very lavish Parks & Resorts Pavillion that I spent several hours exploring.

It had to have cost Disney a fortune to stage that huge event over four days, using the entire footprint of the largest convention center on the West Coast. And since they have already announced everything coming through 2012, I guess there's no big rush to stage another one in Anaheim this year.

Let's just hope they really do another one in 2011, and it wasn't just a one-hit wonder.

I think that's accurate on quite a few levels.:lookaroun

But it's really a shame....There's a ton of potential.

...on quite a few levels.

Next Big Thing

Why? Disney has a billion other means of getting their PR out. Like they did with Nightastic.
Because it will seem grander by doing it at D23. By doing it in a event like they did with nightastic, it could go unnoticed by a lot of people. But this is on a much larger platform and could catch the attention of lots of people that otherwise would just let it slip by if it was done like nightastic was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom