No Avengers at WDW...for now?

Captain Chaos

I only saw Cars when it was on tv. Personally, I didn't get the appeal. Certainly didn't understand why it got a sequel. Then again I'm not in the target market for that one. But the Carsland looks incredible. Just from a theming standpoint. And since I've always loved the outside speed test part of Test Track, that new ride looks like so much fun.

Got a sequel for two reason: Merchandise... Sales...

lazyboy97o

I only saw Cars when it was on tv. Personally, I didn't get the appeal. Certainly didn't understand why it got a sequel. Then again I'm not in the target market for that one. But the Carsland looks incredible. Just from a theming standpoint. And since I've always loved the outside speed test part of Test Track, that new ride looks like so much fun.
Got a sequel for two reason: Merchandise... Sales...
Yep, over $1 billion in merchandise sales. The film could have been worse than Plan 9 from Outer Space and it would still have had more put into the franchise.

bubbles1812

I was talking about Cars, which I do quite enjoy, and though I consider Cars 2 the weakest of PIXAR's films, I find it plenty enjoyable.

I think part of my dislike of them comes from the fact that Larry the Cable Guy's voice just grates on my ears. Cars was ok but with so much more of Cars 2 centered on Mater...I probably won't be watching it again. C'est la vie ;) But that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to visit Carsland and I'd be very excited if it every came here. :)

Btw, how did we get onto Cars from the Avengers? LOL. It's so funny how each thread eventually gets so off topic. I don't think it's a bad thing. Just funny

Gracy_hm

Okay folks it hasn't been discussed and it is pure conjecture but allow me to start a new rumor. I think Disney is secretly going to buy the Orlando theme park rights. Universal studios filed a permit to tear down SS 44 this week on the 15'th and it is being done by Universal Creative. Universals A&D department were kicked out in the middle of building one of the haunted houses for Halloween Horror Nights and demolition has begun with concrete being removed from the building and the Back to The Future train being craned away two days after fileing. The main thought is this could be Transformers and if it is it is likly Spiderman may be out. Then again why would you get rid of such a popular ride? Using Spidermans\ride vehicles would save on cost and Hollywood has already created the film aspects so cost would be slightly less. I don't know if will happen and this is pure speculation but if spiderman is gone then the super hero island will be a shell of what it is coaster can be retheamed as seen with Dragon Challange/Dueling Dragons. I suppose what I'm saying is if this land indeed becomes Transformers it would be a fine time for Disney to strike for rights.

K.B

lazyboy97o

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man was just upgraded. And the for nth time, Disney cannot strike! There is absolutely nothing Disney can do to take back the rights. All they can do is make an offer to Universal to buy out the rights. But that is all. Universal does not even have to give consideration to the offer or accept an offer that is at some magical point. Disney cannot force renegotiation. Disney cannot increase the licensing fees. Disney cannot strike.

Gracy_hm

Strike in terms of "striking when the iron is hot". If in my hypothetical Universal decides to close Spiderman then that would be a great time to make an offer which is what the word strike was intended to mean in the context of my statement.

Cheers.

bubbles1812

Okay folks it hasn't been discussed and it is pure conjecture but allow me to start a new rumor. I think Disney is secretly going to buy the Orlando theme park rights. Universal studios filed a permit to tear down SS 44 this week on the 15'th and it is being done by Universal Creative. Universals A&D department were kicked out in the middle of building one of the haunted houses for Halloween Horror Nights and demolition has begun with concrete being removed from the building and the Back to The Future train being craned away two days after fileing. The main thought is this could be Transformers and if it is it is likly Spiderman may be out. Then again why would you get rid of such a popular ride? Using Spidermans\ride vehicles would save on cost and Hollywood has already created the film aspects so cost would be slightly less. I don't know if will happen and this is pure speculation but if spiderman is gone then the super hero island will be a shell of what it is coaster can be retheamed as seen with Dragon Challange/Dueling Dragons. I suppose what I'm saying is if this land indeed becomes Transformers it would be a fine time for Disney to strike for rights.

K.B
Err...what? o_O As has already been stated, I highly doubt Universal would tear down a ride they just spent a truck load of money updating. That makes no sense whatsoever. I don't think they want that kind of bad PR by taking out a popular ride when they are on an absolute roll right now. Using Spiderman's ride vehicles could save on costs sure, but again, terribly bad PR and it should also be noted that putting Transformers into Orlando would not be expensive as putting in the original ride. The research has been done, the ride system designed, ect...all those things which up costs. If you looked at WDW putting in TLM just from the standpoint of ride cost, it too would be less expensive. All the blueprints for the AAs were already developed. So I don't think it is that big of a deal to make new vehicles for a Transformers ride. Plus, Transformers, while popular, is no Harry Potter...Harry Potter is a whole world geared towards all demographics. Transformers is just giant robots placed in "our world." No way they could make a whole land geared towards it just from that aspect alone but also, it doesn't appeal to as quite a wide range of people. I know many girls who wouldn't mind riding a Transformers ride but that certainly isn't going to be a big pull for them to go to Uni the way HP would. And in general, Uni needs more rides, not less.

Also, Universal is not giving up those rights any time soon. It is just literally too lucrative a property right now to not keep, especially given the success of the Avengers. Rather than taking Spider-Man out or re-theming the Hulk, I could see them eventually adding another attraction, one centered on say Iron Man or even the Avengers as a whole...they don't need to use the movie characters to create a ride. That would just entrench them further and would up the price Disney would need to offer to buy back the rights .The amount of money Disney would need to offer Universal at even this point is extremely substantial...and I don't see current management making an offer. They have already proved they are pretty darn cheap when it comes down to it.

Maybe...and that is a big maybe, after new leadership is in place they'll consider making Universal an offer. Or if the property becomes too big to not have (ie talk to me after the next Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and next two Avengers films comes out). I'm not saying it won't ever happen but you seem to think it will happen sooner than later, which I highly highly doubt.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

K.B

3188cb3f-3e09-4501-8541-8f03bfa28317.jpg

lazyboy97o

The research has been done, the ride system designed, ect...all those things which up costs.
I wonder how similar it is to build in Singapore and Florida. Transformers: The Ride 3D was designed for Universal Studios Hollywood first, but built for Universal Studios Singapore first. To save costs, the sound stage in Hollywood, which already existed, was also "cloned" so that the attraction did not have to be redesigned for a different layout. I wonder how much of the design work for the show building in Singapore can just be brought right over to Florida? That would be another way costs are being saved and the project could move rapidly.

Since this thread started with a pipe dream, I am interested to see what Universal is going to do with the Sesame Street characters out in Universal. Could we bring them to Orlando in something more than we see at the SeaWorld parks?

Gracy_hm

I don't claim this is anything but speculation and you make good points infact I feel it is unlikly but the SS44 removal prompts me to discuss the possibility no mater how small.

Gracy_hm

"Plus, Transformers, while popular, is no Harry Potter...Harry Potter is a whole world geared towards all demographics. Transformers is just giant robots placed in "our world." No way they could make a whole land geared towards it just from that aspect alone but also, it doesn't appeal to as quite a wide range of people."

This would be placed in Universal Studios. No word on what would replace in Islands of Adventure.

bubbles1812

"Plus, Transformers, while popular, is no Harry Potter...Harry Potter is a whole world geared towards all demographics. Transformers is just giant robots placed in "our world." No way they could make a whole land geared towards it just from that aspect alone but also, it doesn't appeal to as quite a wide range of people."

This would be placed in Universal Studios. No word on what would replace in Islands of Adventure.

Regardless of where it was located, my point still stands. A Transformers land would have no where near the same pull as Potter. And there aren't any other franchises I can think of right now that have nearly the popularity of the Marvel/The Avengers...they finally got lucky with Avengers. That movie was a four quadrant (all demos) pic but even beyond that, those characters have been around for decades with much better established fan bases. The world does not want a Twilight (sorry just throwing out something that is popular currently) themed land, just like it does not want a full on Transformers land. Individual rides? Sure. But full lands with those themes? Just too narrow a demographic focus. And all my other points you didn't address still stand too as to why it makes no sense that Uni would do this or why Disney will not make an offer any time soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom