No Avengers at WDW...for now?

misterID

This is what I don't get about the "Marvel at WDW" crowd. If Disney got the rights to Marvel back from Uni, you KNOW they wouldn't use the property half as well as Universal did. They have had the rights to Star Wars for decades. And all they did was build a single attraction which they let rot for years. It's great that it finally got the attention it needed. But by now, they should have done so much more.

If Disney could use Marvel, you'd get a few walk around characters and one nice simulator ride. Maybe Marvel Weekends if Disney could find a part of the year that needed an attendance boost.

Exactly. Look at (so-called) Lucasland period. They have the rights to Indiana Jones and all they have is the same 20 year old stunt show, while the Indy ride, which is universally praised, and some form of it is in every other park (even the dinky rollercoaster) and nothing. We did get ST2... And that's because everyone else was getting it. If you have the rights, do something with it.

Ignohippo

Exactly. Look at (so-called) Lucasland period. They have the rights to Indiana Jones and all they have is the same 20 year old stunt show, while the Indy ride, which is universally praised, and some form of it is in every other park (even the dinky rollercoaster) and nothing. We did get ST2... And that's because everyone else was getting it. If you have the rights, do something with it.

Well yes, in theory, but I doubt Disney has the rights to do anything besides what they have (which is where the holdup is, I'm sure).

If they'd spend $500 mil on Avatar, they'd certainly spend that much on Lucas if it were a possibility.

misterID

Well yes, in theory, but I doubt Disney has the rights to do anything besides what they have (which is where the holdup is, I'm sure).

If they'd spend $500 mil on Avatar, they'd certainly spend that much on Lucas if it were a possibility.

Ask Martin. If Lucasland was built the way it was intended, it would be very different today, with an actual Indy ride. The plans were squashed. Nothing is holding them back from doing anything. That's why they are right now building a brand new Indy ride for Shanghai.

That's why I'm not holding my breath for anything Avatar related. It doesn't matter if they have the rights or not... Actually, I take that back. We'll see a Pandora somewhere in Asia-Disney at some point.

Gregoryp73

Original Poster

in the same breath I'm sure that with any new expansion of lucas properties, you see more dollars exiting the Disney umbrella off to Mr. George Lucas. Which is why I was surprised to see the avatar deal done.

It could also be the way that the contract is drawn up...may disney is only allowed so much lucas property in each park before they need to renegotiate the terms...I would think that Ol George would put all types of limits to the usage of his property so disney just didn't go off and build a whole park dedicated to starwars (because that would be horrible right?)

With Pixar and now Marvel, that money stays in the disney family so it makes sense to spend the money.

misterID

in the same breath I'm sure that with any new expansion of lucas properties, you see more dollars exiting the Disney umbrella off to Mr. George Lucas. Which is why I was surprised to see the avatar deal done.

It could also be the way that the contract is drawn up...may disney is only allowed so much lucas property in each park before they need to renegotiate the terms...I would think that Ol George would put all types of limits to the usage of his property so disney just didn't go off and build a whole park dedicated to starwars (because that would be horrible right?)

With Pixar and now Marvel, that money stays in the disney family so it makes sense to spend the money.

I don't get the logic here. Look how much money UNI is making off HP, which they don't own. Look how much money they're STILL making with Marvel from merch sales, despite Disney.

I just seriously doubt it was ever in the contract that Lucas would allow an Indy ride in every park but Orlando. He's still making money, so is Disney, and both would make more money with a new Indy ride/shop/restaurant, which was planned. And I'd bet old George wouldn't have any problem with a new Indy attraction in Florida. That would be one weird contract stipulation... Especially when there was SUPPOSED to be an Indy ride there.

Gregoryp73

Original Poster
I don't get the logic here. Look how much money UNI is making off HP, which they don't own. Look how much money they're STILL making with Marvel from merch sales, despite Disney.

I just seriously doubt it was ever in the contract that Lucas would allow an Indy ride in every park but Orlando. He's still making money, so is Disney, and both would make more money with a new Indy ride/shop/restaurant, which was planned. And I'd bet old George wouldn't have any problem with a new Indy attraction in Florida. That would be one weird contract stipulation... Especially when there was SUPPOSED to be an Indy ride there.

Uni always has to go elsewhere because they don't have an option of a built in brand like Disney. If I go up to someone random on the street and ask them "what character do you think of if I say universal studios"...most people will stare at you blankly.

I agree that a full on star wars land (or possibly indy) would make a literal ton of money for both Lucas and Disney...but Disney has never had to do that in the past.

Now I understand that people don't think that Disney would buy back the rights to Marvel in the themeparks...but my thought is that they will do everything in their power to stifle development at Uni Orlando for anything marvel related...and then offer a deal at some point in the future. They did buy back the distribution rights back from paramount for the avengers movie for a pretty hefty sum...if the money is there on the back-end, they'll invest.

lebeau

Uni always has to go elsewhere because they don't have an option of a built in brand like Disney. If I go up to someone random on the street and ask them "what character do you think of if I say universal studios"...most people will stare at you blankly.

I agree that a full on star wars land (or possibly indy) would make a literal ton of money for both Lucas and Disney...but Disney has never had to do that in the past.

Now I understand that people don't think that Disney would buy back the rights to Marvel in the themeparks...but my thought is that they will do everything in their power to stifle development at Uni Orlando for anything marvel related...and then offer a deal at some point in the future. They did buy back the distribution rights back from paramount for the avengers movie for a pretty hefty sum...if the money is there on the back-end, they'll invest.
You posted a reasonable argument against Disney spending money to buy theme park rights they don't own. You are right that they do not need to. But then you concluded that Disney would pay for the theme park rights to Marvel in Florida.

This makes no sense.

The Avengers situation was completely different. Disney needed a movie franchise. But they couldn't launch one to save Rich Ross' life. So they ponied up the cash to buy one (or several).

But Disney already owns the rights to Marvel in most of the world. And there are plenty of other things they can build in Orlando without having to write a ransom check to Universal. The money isn't there this time.

Magenta Panther

No Marvel for WDW AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN ...

But Marvel for DLR? Perhaps in multiple ways (and I still think they are a bad fit for Disney!)

They sure as heck are. They're just ugly, violent variations on the same theme: power and machismo. Disney is getting more and more polluted with foreign offal. Marvel characters, Muppets, what's next? The Care Bears? My Little Pony? Disney should TOTALLY snap them up next. Hey, they make money! :p

DisDadEddie

Walt Disney World is barred from constructing any rides that feature the Marvel characters included in existing attractions at Islands of Adventure, including but not limited to the Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, and X-Men. Yet Disney's other parks, including Disneyland in California and the Disneyland parks in Europe, China, and Japan, are not restricted from building rides and attractions based upon the Marvel characters found at Universal's Islands of Adventure.From what that says it looks like Disney World could Marvel characters that are not used in Universal. Marvel has many characters that could be used that Universal does not have.Sure universal has the main characters, Disney should start promoting some of it's other characters in Hollywood Studios. It would be better than the Power Ranger were.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
5af8a1d2_523ac920_beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
Haha..

I mean seriously ---threads get locked when they get too political or offensive......can't we lock threads when they get too repetative, redundant
and sensless?

Disneyfan1981

I'm a huge Marvel fan and wouldn't mind seeing them in the parks but personally there are dozens of things Disney could do to their parks before bringing them in at any major capacity. I'd rather see them dump a ton of money into Tomorrowlands and make them look more futuristic and "tomorrow" before doing anything with Marvel.

Gregoryp73

Original Poster
You're right. Universal has been around for a century. They don't have a brand at all.

Of course universal has name recognition...that's not the point. You say "lion king" and people automatically think Disney. What character out there do you think "universal"?

Disneyfan1981

Honestly every movie monster from Dracula to the Wolfman to Frankenstein's Monster comes to mind when I hear Universal. Terminator, King Kong, Scott Pilgrim, Jaws, Shrek and Back to the Future too but that's just off of the top of my head. Not that it proves or disproves your point, just an honest answer to your question without looking anything up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Walt Disney World is barred from constructing any rides that feature the Marvel characters included in existing attractions at Islands of Adventure, including but not limited to the Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, and X-Men. Yet Disney's other parks, including Disneyland in California and the Disneyland parks in Europe, China, and Japan, are not restricted from building rides and attractions based upon the Marvel characters found at Universal's Islands of Adventure.From what that says it looks like Disney World could Marvel characters that are not used in Universal. Marvel has many characters that could be used that Universal does not have.Sure universal has the main characters, Disney should start promoting some of it's other characters in Hollywood Studios. It would be better than the Power Ranger were.

I hate repeating stuff that has been brought up numerous time in other threads, but.... virtually every Marvel character has at some point been part of either the X-Men or Avengers, so all of those characters are off limits to Disney in Florida.

Gregoryp73

Original Poster
Honestly every movie monster from Dracula to the Wolfman to Frankenstein's Monster comes to mind when I hear Universal. Terminator, King Kong, Scott Pilgrim, Jaws, Shrek and Back to the Future too but that's just off of the top of my head. Not that it proves or disproves your point, just an honest answer to your question without looking anything up.

Ok, let's ask the Average movie goer out there... :)

Actually, I think terminator was MGM and Term 2 was Tristar…Shrek is DreamWorks...
And I really wish that universal would have pursued the original Dracula, Frankenstein, & wolfman combination in a better attraction, instead of some cheesy lounge rock monstrosity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom