no 24hr party this year?

mousehockey37

With all the cutbacks they are making, I'm not saying there won't be a 24 hour event, it definitely puts it more towards the back burner. If they can not have a 24 hour event and have to pay employees to work the event, that's a money saver.

No Name

DL stopped admitting guests at 1pm despite being nowhere near capacity. DCA remained open, liquor sales were halted for fear of angry crowds, and thousands of guests were mobbing outside of bag check and not being let into the esplanade. It was complete and total disaster, overseen singlehandedly by Michael Colglazier who obviously knows more about ops than people who have worked at DL for decades.
Overcrowded. Disneyland was telling people to stay away. Park was full. Backups on i-5 for miles.
I get that operational issues are never good and always want to be avoided, but is the event being too popular really a problem that would stop Disney? No, it's not. That's typically a good problem for any business. It means that so much demand is present that you could even raise your prices or expand. Disney should just jack up the prices or sell a limited number of tickets for that day, or do something to prevent the problem, but there are certainly ways to avoid encountering last year's issues again. I just cannot see them canceling something that could make so much money if done well.

Unless they have taken their numbers and determined that extra staffing overshadows their profits, which is possible, but I doubt it.

I do expect an announcement soon.

NowInc

With all the cutbacks they are making, I'm not saying there won't be a 24 hour event, it definitely puts it more towards the back burner. If they can not have a 24 hour event and have to pay employees to work the event, that's a money saver.

These events make them money. Captive audience (most dont leave out of fear they wont get back in) which leads to excessive food sales. The event exclusive merch sells out fast, and they keep the parks minimally staffed.

mousehockey37

These events make them money. Captive audience (most dont leave out of fear they wont get back in) which leads to excessive food sales. The event exclusive merch sells out fast, and they keep the parks minimally staffed.
Fair enough. I'd love to ride the mansion over and over with not having to get off at like 3 in the morning.

mousehockey37

Sadly these events are very crowded. Only ride i was able to do on loop at the last few was the peoplemover . Its insanity. LoL

Ain't nothin' wrong with the peoplemover! I've never been to one, but it seems that once they get done with the parades and stuff and it's just roam the park time, that it thins out... at least watching the cam it seemed that way. I could just put my feet up and people watch from above on the people mover all night and that'd be fine with me.

NowInc

Ain't nothin' wrong with the peoplemover! I've never been to one, but it seems that once they get done with the parades and stuff and it's just roam the park time, that it thins out... at least watching the cam it seemed that way. I could just put my feet up and people watch from above on the people mover all night and that'd be fine with me.

It starts a bit slow but by 10am its pretty hectic until around 4am. Its most shocking to see how many parents drag their kids out and keep them up all night.

GiveMeTheMusic

I get that operational issues are never good and always want to be avoided, but is the event being too popular really a problem that would stop Disney? No, it's not. That's typically a good problem for any business. It means that so much demand is present that you could even raise your prices or expand. Disney should just jack up the prices or sell a limited number of tickets for that day, or do something to prevent the problem, but there are certainly ways to avoid encountering last year's issues again. I just cannot see them canceling something that could make so much money if done well.

Unless they have taken their numbers and determined that extra staffing overshadows their profits, which is possible, but I doubt it.

I do expect an announcement soon.

It should be a hard ticket event at DLR. Safety is an issue with these events here now. The mobs were ugly - spitting and cussing at CMs, each other. It was bad.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
24 hour party at WDW is on my bucket list and I've already made a reservation for Memorial Day weekend at WDW in hopes they'll announce it soon.

Brad Bishop

Back when they first started these, I think it was leap day in 2012, I actually kind of wanted to go.

As I've gotten older, while I think it would be neat, it sounds like something I'd more just have to push through. When you're in there's this kind of quest to complete the 24hrs ("I was in the MK for 24hrs!!") and it just seems like a bad idea.

I've been at New Years at on July 4th and arrived when it opened and stayed the entire day to see the fireworks/celebration at night. I knew what I was getting into, of course, but taking that and then adding another 8 or so hours to it, just to say you've done it, doesn't seem like a good time to me.

NowInc

In reality, its more like 27 hours (at least thats what i did last year). You show up early before opening, and by the time you get home/to your hotel, its a good hour or two after "closing". Its a real test of endurance and the only reason I even do it at all is for photos. The "experience" is a tad over-rated.

ToTBellHop

Sadly these events are very crowded. Only ride i was able to do on loop at the last few was the peoplemover . Its insanity. LoL
Yeah, it's craziness. Last year, because we had two 2-year olds who wake up way too early, we were there for 6 am. And it was wonderful until about 9. Then it was crazy and we headed back to Wilderness Lodge. I can't imagine what it must be like for people there all day in 95-degrees with those lines. I would have such a headache...and sunburn.

Spikerdink

I did the first one they held a few years ago. One of my friends needed a wheelchair and when the Wishes fireworks ended the whole Main Street became a log jam that I never experienced before. People were not very friendly and I maneuvered the wheelchair to the side just to let the madness dissipate. I am claustrophobic which did not help the situation. There were too many people for any enjoyment, so after the crowd thinned and we saw the lines were nuts for rides, we decided to heck with it and headed back to our resort. I'm glad I experienced it, but I doubt I would do it again. I will leave it for other people to experience!

Imagineerwannabe

Overcrowded. Disneyland was telling people to stay away. Park was full. Backups on i-5 for miles.

In reality, its more like 27 hours (at least thats what i did last year). You show up early before opening, and by the time you get home/to your hotel, its a good hour or two after "closing". Its a real test of endurance and the only reason I even do it at all is for photos. The "experience" is a tad over-rated.

It was a test of endurance, I couldn't hack it. I was at DLR 60th and spent 20 hours in the park. But by 3am I was done!
Considering I'm usually a wdw visitor I was surprised at how quiet everything seemed, sure the car parks were a nightmare. The worst parts of the day by far were trying to queue for breakfast at 10am...the queues and wait were so long it was like no food was coming out of the serving hatches...it was a total shambles and ended up crossing into lunch. CMs didn't know what they were doing...also the queues were huge for Matterhorn as it reopened that day.

As others have said it looks like they may have closed the park when it wasn't at capacity as we barely queued for anything. Again a breath of fresh air in comparison to WDW even when it's no where near capacity...

Think paint the night debut had something to do with the crowds later when everyone got spots early for it.

wdwfan22

I can't imagine them making any real money on this type of event. My guess is the overnight hours are full of Cast Members and there friends just using the park as a hangout.

PhotoDave219

I did 18 hours once. Couldnt do the entire thing. Thought about it. I'm too damn old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom