Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

lazyboy97o

You don't consider 4 and up to be family friendly? So they should have built a test track with infant lap seating?
Universal has twice successfully created a slow moving ride with the illusion of high speed and chaos that a four year old can ride. Of course four year olds can also ride Test Track so you’re claim that even a fast ride system would be inaccessible is wrong.
Wrong...Spiderman has a 40 Inch height limit. Mario Kart has 36 inch.
You should tell Universal Studios Japan. I gave their requirements.

Disneyhead'71

Oh whoops except it's not for all ages, it has a 42 inch height requirement. Funny, Radiator Springs Racers is only 40 inches...

I haven't moved the goal posts... I've... added on to them? The land is cramped. It looks plasticy. Mario Kart looks to be a subpar experience even when ignoring how badly it misses the mark of what a Mario Kart ride should be. They could re-skin it to be Not Mario Kart if they wanted better reception, but it would still be reminiscent of a MotionGate ride with a slightly higher budget.

"I judge rides based on how much people who heavily analyze theme park quality dislike them" is textbook contrarianism. You're also in the vast, vast minority that thinks Rise of the Resistance is bad, so, while you're entitled to your opinion, saying that that is bad while this is perfectly fine and awesome is hard to take seriously.
I would like for you to show me where I said that either RotR or Smuggler's run were bad. I didn't.

Disneyhead'71

Universal has twice successfully created a slow moving ride with the illusion of high speed and chaos that a four year old can ride. Of course four year olds can also ride Test Track so you’re claim that even a fast ride system would be inaccessible is wrong.

You should tell Universal Studios Japan. I gave their requirements.
I didn't say kids couldn't ride test track. I said a 5 min (or 4:28 as has been pointed out to me) test track system would be the size of the entirety of USJ. That is a non-workable solution.

lazyboy97o

I didn't say kids couldn't ride test track. I said a 5 min (or 4:28 as has been pointed out to me) test track system would be the size of the entirety of USJ. That is a non-workable solution.
Which again ignores that Universal has already successfully created two rides that are physically slow but successfully create the illusion of speed. The second was also designed around an incredibly tight space.

Disneyhead'71

Which again ignores that Universal has already successfully created two rides that are physically slow but successfully create the illusion of speed. The second was also designed around an incredibly tight space.
Ah yes. The screen rides everyone loathes and never wants Universal to build ANYTHING like ever again. EVER!!!!

If Universal built a screenz! Mario Kart ride we could cover all of Orlando in the frothy foaming of the apoplectic Diznerds.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Mario Kart is a party game. I can go faster in Sonic Generations than I can in Mario Kart 8.
That other games are faster is completely irrelevant.
Ah yes. The screen rides everyone loathes and never wants Universal to build ANYTHING like ever again. EVER!!!!
What you claim is the defining characteristic of a Mario Kart game, the shooting, only works on the ride with screens. You just keep contradicting yourself.

Brer Oswald

It is just you, man. Sorry.

The goal of Mario Kart is to cross the finish line before the other racers. AKA, a race. The items are a gimmick that can be used strategically to help you cross the finish line before the other racers. In fact, the "rubber band AI" of Mario Kart dictates that skilled driving and use of power sliding is more crucial to winning races than the use of items.

If it were a platforming game like Super Mario 3D World, the goal would be to simply get to the end, without mattering who got to it first.
This was the Mario Kart of the past. Since Wii, it’s been all about the items. “Item smuggling”, which involves purposefully falling back to get better items and carrying them to the higher places, has become a more prominent strategy in 8 Deluxe rather than “skilled racing”. That’s why I dropped the game so quickly.
Oh whoops except it's not for all ages, it has a 42 inch height requirement. Funny, Radiator Springs Racers is only 40 inches...

I haven't moved the goal posts... I've... added on to them? The land is cramped. It looks plasticy. Mario Kart looks to be a subpar experience even when ignoring how badly it misses the mark of what a Mario Kart ride should be. They could re-skin it to be Not Mario Kart if they wanted better reception, but it would still be reminiscent of a MotionGate ride with a slightly higher budget.

"I judge rides based on how much people who heavily analyze theme park quality dislike them" is textbook contrarianism. You're also in the vast, vast minority that thinks Rise of the Resistance is bad, so, while you're entitled to your opinion, saying that that is bad while this is perfectly fine and awesome is hard to take seriously.
It looks plasticy because the game they based the land on looks plasticy. That was the common complaint with 3D World. No idea why Nintendo pushed for that, but you can’t argue that Universal did a poor job at accuracy. The complaints should be “they should’ve based it on a more inspired Mario game” or “the main ride shouldn’t have been Mario Kart, it should have been based on this game”. Not “this is nothing like Mario Kart 8 and 3D World” cause it is.

I’m happy with what they made. It looks really good. I understand it isn’t for everyone, and I’m not even a major fan of the specific source material. But the accuracy complaints are way off.

Brer Oswald

What you claim is the defining characteristic of a Mario Kart game, the shooting, only works on the ride with screens. You just keep contradicting yourself.
The defining characteristic of Mario Kart are the items. It’s always been that way.

Disneyhead'71

But what you are asking for is the tiny VR lens (game screen) in front of a giant 3D screen to create the sense of speed. Why do I feel that you would have lost your chit if that is what they had built?

And how would a 12 person Kart have worked? Maybe they should just scale the 12 person scoop down to 4 people and blow the capacity out of the water. Even with duel tracks it would have two thirds the capacity of spider-man.

lazyboy97o

But what you are asking for is the tiny VR lens (game screen) in front of a giant 3D screen to create the sense of speed. Why do I feel that you would have lost your chit if that is what they had built?

And how would a 12 person Kart have worked? Maybe they should just scale the 12 person scoop down to 4 people and blow the capacity out of the water. Even with duel tracks it would have one third the capacity of spider-man.
So now you have to make up scenarios and decide for me?

Oceaneering has already done the work of reducing their imitation of the Spider-Man ride system down to a six person vehicle, the EVO-6. A four person version shouldn’t be that hard. Capacity would also not have to be a direct scale down compared to Spider-Man. Seeing as Mario Kart already uses a four person vehicle it stands to reason that a different four person vehicle traveling at a similar speed could hit a similar capacity.

Your constant defense of Universe is that they somehow cannot do what they and others have already done. It’s even more ridiculous when they occur near simultaneously. Maybe you’ll get lucky and Jurassic World will be a plodding bore so that Universal doesn’t open yet another slow ride that successfully imitates speeds.

sedati

I'd add that the effect in Earthquake that took you between stations was really well done.

lazyboy97o

Also not all modes of Mario kart are racing....some are dedicated solely to hitting other cars with items since the inception of the game

Battle Mode has been acknowledged. It’s also a secondary, or even tertiary, component of the game. The ride is centered around the Universal Cup which is shown in the queue with all of the other trophies that comes from the races.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom