Nine people in a 2 BR meant for 8

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm planning a trip for my family. I'm going to give everyone WDW lodging this year for Christmas. One option I was considering was renting DVC points. The trip I'm planning involves 9 people. Do you think I would be allowed to fit everyone in the typcial 2BR, sleeps 8 unit? Just in case it matters, there will be 6 adults and 3 children ages 7, 5, and 3 at the time of this trip.

davewasbaloo

I'm planning a trip for my family. I'm going to give everyone WDW lodging this year for Christmas. One option I was considering was renting DVC points. The trip I'm planning involves 9 people. Do you think I would be allowed to fit everyone in the typcial 2BR, sleeps 8 unit? Just in case it matters, there will be 6 adults and 3 children ages 7, 5, and 3 at the time of this trip.

Sadly this would be breaking fire codes, but I suppose you could sneak in and the 3 year old could sleep with adults? Or the two youngest could top and tail.

DisneyPhD

Kids under three don't count toward the total. We have done this (in a studio and 1BR) a couple of times. All DVC rooms have a pack-n-play crib in them that we use. I'm not sure what the fire codes are based upon. If it was square footage, then a 1 BR should hold twice as many as a studio and yet both have maximum occupancy of 4 people. Of course, they both have the same number of beds (one regular and one sleeper sofa) which must have something to do with it as well.

The Mom

Premium Member
It depends upon the family configuration.

The MBR has a King bed, so would easily fit 2 adults and 1 small child. The studio has a Queen bed and a double pull-out sofa....but they are right next to each other. 2 adults could sleep in the bed, with 2 on the sofa, or 3 small children in the bed, and 2 adults on the sofa. That would leave the pull out in the living area for another 2 adults.

So it's a matter of whether the adults are "pairs" and whether the children mind sleeping in the same bed.

Again, the sleeping options are 1 King, 1 Queen, 2 pull out sofas (I think 1 is Queen, 1 is Double, but I'm not sure, plus 1 portacrib. The MBR also has quite a bit of floor space for a sleeping bag.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips/advice

Thank you everyone for the thoughts. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do this. I think the rest involved is negligible, but if something does go wrong it would stink. In case you're interested, the other things I'm considering are two rooms at POR (since they actually let you sleep five) and I really like POR, the suite at ASM and a room at ASM, and one of the off-site resort homes. Decisions....

slappy magoo

Thank you everyone for the thoughts. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do this. I think the rest involved is negligible, but if something does go wrong it would stink. In case you're interested, the other things I'm considering are two rooms at POR (since they actually let you sleep five) and I really like POR, the suite at ASM and a room at ASM, and one of the off-site resort homes. Decisions....

Ponder this one extra option...

You could try to rent TWO Fort Wilderness cabins.

A week's stay, in a 2 BR unit, during the holidays, at OKW (the least expensive on-site DVC resort), is 405 points. Most people seem to rent their points for 11 dollars a point, especially during peak seasons. So 405 points will run you $4455.

Saratoga Springs would be 415 points. $4565
Boardwalk Standard View, 426 points. $4686
Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge & Boardwalk Preferred View, 462 points $5082

Each Fort Wilderness cabin costs $349 a night during the holiday season. So for 7 nights, that would run $4886. Granted, in these rooms you will have to add sales & resort tax, which would put you at around $5450. But you could also, theoretically, add one to three more adults in to your party (as the cabins each sleep 6, and you have 9 in your party). Even if you didn't add anyone else, the difference in price would run each adult anywhere from $150 to less than $70 a person. For a 7 night stay, that's only between 10 & 21 dollars a night. Make some use out of the kitchens in the cabins, even just for most breakfasts, & maybe sacrifice a souvenier or two, and that difference could possibly be made up. Plus, you would be in one of the more interesting areas of WDW, with a lot of unique amenities, the campfires, the outdoor movies, the pony rides for the kids, petting zoos, launches to the Magic Kingdom, and one of the best meal-deals in all of WDW, with the Trails' End buffet costing only 18 bucks per adult. Something else to ponder is all.

GrowingUpDisney

We are a family of three (until about 3 weeks from now when we will become 4). We usually stay in a 1 Bd Rm unit just because I like the additional room. Up until now, we never let our 3 yr old sleep in the living room (pull out couch) alone. We always took the cushions off the couch and made him a bed on our floor in the MBR.

If you did this each night for the 3 yr old, you could easily sleep everyone else in a bed. Just an idea.

Niki

slappy magoo

We are a family of three (until about 3 weeks from now when we will become 4). We usually stay in a 1 Bd Rm unit just because I like the additional room. Up until now, we never let our 3 yr old sleep in the living room (pull out couch) alone. We always took the cushions off the couch and made him a bed on our floor in the MBR.

If you did this each night for the 3 yr old, you could easily sleep everyone else in a bed. Just an idea.

Niki

Yeah, but the issue is that Disney only allows a maximum occupancy of 8 in those Villas, and they have 9. And the policy is (apparently) based on occupancy limits mandated by the local fire department, not Disney trying to get people into reserving more rooms.

Congratulations on your upcoming fourth. One more good year and you got yerself a traveling family basketball team!

GrowingUpDisney

I agree slappy and I am certainly not condoning that the OP break the occupancy limit.

However, i will not lie and say that we haven't had to get creative and cut corners so that we could afford a trip to Disney. Once again not condoning improper activity - Just a thought.
:)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ponder this one extra option...

You could try to rent TWO Fort Wilderness cabins.

A week's stay, in a 2 BR unit, during the holidays, at OKW (the least expensive on-site DVC resort), is 405 points. Most people seem to rent their points for 11 dollars a point, especially during peak seasons. So 405 points will run you $4455.

Saratoga Springs would be 415 points. $4565
Boardwalk Standard View, 426 points. $4686
Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge & Boardwalk Preferred View, 462 points $5082

Each Fort Wilderness cabin costs $349 a night during the holiday season. So for 7 nights, that would run $4886. Granted, in these rooms you will have to add sales & resort tax, which would put you at around $5450. But you could also, theoretically, add one to three more adults in to your party (as the cabins each sleep 6, and you have 9 in your party). Even if you didn't add anyone else, the difference in price would run each adult anywhere from $150 to less than $70 a person. For a 7 night stay, that's only between 10 & 21 dollars a night. Make some use out of the kitchens in the cabins, even just for most breakfasts, & maybe sacrifice a souvenier or two, and that difference could possibly be made up. Plus, you would be in one of the more interesting areas of WDW, with a lot of unique amenities, the campfires, the outdoor movies, the pony rides for the kids, petting zoos, launches to the Magic Kingdom, and one of the best meal-deals in all of WDW, with the Trails' End buffet costing only 18 bucks per adult. Something else to ponder is all.

Good point. The reason I'm ruling this out has nothing to do with financial considerations. Its just that I've been to FW so may times in my life that I want to do something new.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster

Niki

Congratulations and thanx for the advice. I'm a middle of the road guy and my feelings are mixed on this. I don't want to break the rules, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. Still thinking on this one.

GrowingUpDisney

ASJHLJ,

When are you planning to travel? Have you considered a Grand Villa? They sleep twelve. The ones are OKW are not near as expensive (point wise) as those at BWV.

Niki

DisneyLindz

One year we fit 10 people in a 2 Bedroom at Old Key West.
2 adults in the king size bed in master bedroom
2 adults in each Queen Size bed in the second bedroom
2 adults on Pull out bed.
1 kid in sleeping bag on floor.
1 kid on love seat.

There is also room to put a blow up mattress in the living room if some people need their own bed. We've brought one a few times when we have a ton of people.

A little cramped when we were all there......but we were only there to sleep!
For us, it worked great!!!!

slappy magoo

One year we fit 10 people in a 2 Bedroom at Old Key West.
2 adults in the king size bed in master bedroom
2 adults in each Queen Size bed in the second bedroom
2 adults on Pull out bed.
1 kid in sleeping bag on floor.
1 kid on love seat.

There is also room to put a blow up mattress in the living room if some people need their own bed. We've brought one a few times when we have a ton of people.

A little cramped when we were all there......but we were only there to sleep!
For us, it worked great!!!!

Please refer to prior posts, the whole "Legal occupancy is only 8 in a 2 bedroom, to add more is breaking not just Disney policy but the law" thing.

It's one thing to talk about skirting policy you might not agree with, like refilling old mugs at your food court or trying to pool hop at Beach Club. It's another thing to theoretically put people at risk (especially kids) to save money on your vacation by shoving 10 people in a villa built to accomodate 8, throwing air mattresses or sleeping bags on the floor where people can get trampled in the event of an emergency...

Yeah, I know, the odds of an emergency happening are slim. It never happens until it does. And if something does happen, suddenly Disney is liable for not enforcing legal occupancy limits, even if they had no idea you were jamming people into your room like you were making a Das Boot tribute fan film.

Please refer to prior posts, the whole "Legal occupancy is only 8 in a 2 bedroom, to add more is breaking not just Disney policy but the law" thing.

It's one thing to talk about skirting policy you might not agree with, like refilling old mugs at your food court or trying to pool hop at Beach Club. It's another thing to theoretically put people at risk (especially kids) to save money on your vacation by shoving 10 people in a villa built to accomodate 8, throwing air mattresses or sleeping bags on the floor where people can get trampled in the event of an emergency...

Yeah, I know, the odds of an emergency happening are slim. It never happens until it does. And if something does happen, suddenly Disney is liable for not enforcing legal occupancy limits, even if they had no idea you were jamming people into your room like you were making a Das Boot tribute fan film.

Well said, as usual :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom