Nikon lense question

joanna71985

Original Poster
I have a question. Are the Nikon lenses compatible with more then one camera? I currently have the Nikon D40, but am seriously considering getting the Nikon D5100. I have one lense that I would love to know if I could use with both (it's a 55-200 lense). Thanks!

LilSuzy

I'm sure it does as long as the 55-200 lens has auto focus I believe. The Nikon D5100 doesn't have a focus motor so the lenses are recommened to be AF. :)

NowInc

The autofocus is only half true..it will work even without it, you will just have to manually focus. The difference is actually the DX/FX standard. You can look at your cameras manual to see what format it supports :)

CP_alum08

Yes, all Nikon lenses will fit all nikon cameras. HOWEVER, not all of them will auto-focus and the older ones will not meter correctly on newer bodies which means you will only be able to shoot in Manual mode.

A simple google search can bring up multiple tables and charts to explain this better.

joanna71985

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! It's a newer lense, so I *think* it should be fine. If anything, I can always give it to my dad

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yes, all Nikon lenses will fit all nikon cameras. HOWEVER, not all of them will auto-focus and the older ones will not meter correctly on newer bodies which means you will only be able to shoot in Manual mode.

A simple google search can bring up multiple tables and charts to explain this better.
And non-AI lenses on all but the cheapest current bodies will damage the body if you mount it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom