Nikon D7100

NowInc

Original Poster
What did you upgrade from? I hadn't looked into the 7100 much but after you said how cheap it was I checked it out and $1200 is a lot less than I was expecting. I'm shooting on a D90 now and was thinking I'd wait until I had (loads) of extra money and do a full FX upgrade...but the likeliness of that happening soon seems a bit far fetched. $1200 is easily doable especially when I won't need to upgrade any lenses right away I just don't know if it's a worthwhile upgrade. Thoughts?

My PERSONAL home camera was a D3100 so the upgrade was a no brainer. However I did also have constant access to a D7000 through work. I would say its a worth upgrade from a D90. Reviews of the camera should really start popping up any day now so you can judge for yourself based on what more "professional" people say, but so far I have had nothing but good experiences with this.

NowInc

Original Poster
DNG converter and Lightroom have both been updated last night to support this camera. Expect some pictures from me soon :) I have about 2000+ to sort through and edit now.

WDI 1998

DNG converter and Lightroom have both been updated last night to support this camera. Expect some pictures from me soon :) I have about 2000+ to sort through and edit now.

So now that you have shot quite a bit with the camera do you think it lives up to the hype? I looked at your flickr album and they shots look great but that can come down to who takes and processes the shots as well as how good the camera is. What glass were you using?

NowInc

Original Poster
So now that you have shot quite a bit with the camera do you think it lives up to the hype? I looked at your flickr album and they shots look great but that can come down to who takes and processes the shots as well as how good the camera is. What glass were you using?

I used 2 cheap lenses for this outing. A 35mm 1.8, and a 55-200mm f4-5.6. Overall...yes..WELL worth the hype. Is it worth it upgrading from a D7000? no. Anything lower including a D5200? Yes. It autofocus's fast, with 51 points to choose from. The dynamic range is close to that Ive seen from the D600 (close..but obviously not 100%). Its low light abilities are the best I've seen in a crop sensor. Its a very powerful body for what it costs...and the price will surely dip down in a few months (especially if we will be hearing of a D400 by the fall).

Downsides? Of course! I pretty much HATE where the ISO button is. Its grouped with the zoom in button so that if you are looking at a preview, you wont be able to change the ISO. It took a long time to get used to that. Not sure if its a bug or "as intended", but you can't change the aperture while recording video (this is also the case with the D600 I believe). I read that nikon is aware of it but that doesn't mean we'll see a fix for it either. No included screen protector? That just seems like a cheap move. That plastic cover couldn't have cost that much.

Overall..very very happy with it so far...can't wait to take it out for more fun in the next few weeks..and then WDW memorial day weekend.

NowInc

Original Poster
As far as "post processing goes"...lens correction and some vignette (on some images). Basic white balance adjustments, and of course that one HDR.

stuart

Some pics taken last night, first proper low light test of D7100. Had the Sigma 70-200 attached

DSC_4284-L.jpg

1/20 2.8 iso 1600

DSC_4287-L.jpg

1/40 2.8 iso 1600

DSC_4278-L.jpg

1/40 2.8 iso 1600

NowInc

Original Poster
I am anxious to bring this body to disney in 20ish days. Going to really put it through its paces. So far, however, I am continuously impressed with how this thing performs. Seriously..WELL worth the money.

NowInc

Original Poster
The noise is pretty manageable even at 3200...noticeable..but manageable. The autofocus performs pretty well in low light as well.

In case anyone is curious, large format prints from the D7100 are also impressive. My studio here has allowed me to use our printers to make a few 40X60's of a few of my shots, and tho you can see noise (obviously), you have to be PRETTY close to notice any significant amount.

WDI 1998

I made my upgrade from the D80 to the D7100 last week and shot a local horse event over the weekend. I also got new glass with the body and I agree with NowInc. This was well worth the money! The quality of shots I came out with were far far better than anything I had taken before. The ability to shoot at 1/8000 got me some action shots of the horses and some of the shots I got of the bands were killer.

NowInc

Original Poster
D7100 firmware C: 1.01 update released:

• When images captured using a flash in Manual or Repeating flash flash mode were played back with the “Overview” display enabled, flash output level was displayed in the flash compensation portion of the display. This issue has been resolved.
  • When the AE/AF lock button was pressed with Special Effects mode enabled, Selective Color selected, and the view magnified with selective color options displayed in live view, the image did not change while live view was active. This issue has been resolved.
    An issue that caused the Viewfinder Virtual Horizon to freeze when certain operations were performed has been resolved.
  • When images captured with white balance bracketing enabled were played back, a white balance fine-tuning value of 9 (steps) was displayed even for images captured with a fine-tuning value of 10 (steps) applied. This issue has been resolved.
  • An issue that prevented cursor movement when certain operations were performed in calendar playback mode has been resolved.
  • The size of some text displayed in calendar playback mode has been modified.
  • Display of focal lengths in 35mm [135] format recorded in image Exif data has been corrected.
  • With movie recording at 1920 × 1080/24p in M exposure mode, subject brightness did not change, even when shutter speed was adjusted. This issue has been resolved.

Download here:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18539 (US)
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57567 (UK)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom