News Nightmare Scenario Unfolds for Disneyland Passholders as Reservations Disappear

Snoballego

I blame the Analysts at Disney.

They should have just made a $5k annual pass (no payments) with 365 access and kept the other promotional ticket offers.

Theme Parks are not an entitlement or an essential. People should be priced out.

josh2000

I honestly believe that the reservation system will never go away. It makes everything so much easier for Disney, even if it's unpopular with some of the hardcore fans.

It lets Disney know exactly how many people are going to show up on a given day and they can adjust things accordingly.

There's a number of things Disney could and should do to improve the reservation system, but it's not going away.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Has anyone else just resigned themselves to paying full-price for a 1-day ticket every time they want to go? It's probably not cost-effective for most fans, but for someone like myself who is pretty disillusioned with Disney these days, I'm realizing I'm okay with visiting far, far less often and opting for the stress-free alternative to the Magic Key reservation system.

The awfulness of Chapek's Disney and the low-value Magic Key are not only disincentivizing me from visiting all the time, but they (along with the lengthy covid closure) are also making me realize how much I don't need to visit Disneyland too often anymore -- and in a strange way, I think that's a good thing (for me, at least). I suspect I may appreciate Disneyland more as a full-day, once in a while experience, as opposed to a place to pop in for a few hours all the time as an AP.

adamparanoia

I don't understand the hate on people complaining about their magic keys. Bottom line, people are buying annual passes which have a ticking clock attached to them and finding out the business isn't allowing them to visit. No refund, no extensions, nothing. Plus, they're holding back availability. Imagine this was a different industry other than theme parks. It would be an enron scandal.

josh2000

I don't understand the hate on people complaining about their magic keys. Bottom line, people are buying annual passes which have a ticking clock attached to them and finding out the business isn't allowing them to visit. No refund, no extensions, nothing. Plus, they're holding back availability. Imagine this was a different industry other than theme parks. It would be an enron scandal.
As stated previously, for people who can only visit Disneyland once a year, once every five years or even once in a lifetime, it can be hard to sympathize with people who are upset that they have to plan their visit a week or two ahead.

I just checked the calendar and there seems to be 28 days available for reservations from now until December on the cheapest tier. There's even more days available for the higher tiers. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Professortango1

Because Passholders feel entitled to the park. They bought the ability to make reservations to visit the park for a low monthly fee. But admission has always been subject to availability. I'm sorry if there are too many passholders all trying to go, but they have no more right to be upset that a day ticket holder not being able to get in on a sold out day. I can't buy a day ticket for this weekend or next. They are sold out. Why should a passholder be more entitled than me?

Stevek

Has anyone else just resigned themselves to paying full-price for a 1-day ticket every time they want to go? It's probably not cost-effective for most fans, but for someone like myself who is pretty disillusioned with Disney these days, I'm realizing I'm okay with visiting far, far less often and opting for the stress-free alternative to the Magic Key reservation system.

The awfulness of Chapek's Disney and the low-value Magic Key are not only disincentivizing me from visiting all the time, but they (along with the lengthy covid closure) are also making me realize how much I don't need to visit Disneyland too often anymore -- and in a strange way, I think that's a good thing (for me, at least). I suspect I may appreciate Disneyland more as a full-day, once in a while experience, as opposed to a place to pop in for a few hours all the time as an AP.
No, again, that's why we went cheap. I've been twice, have 2 more reservations booked. My pass will basically be paid for after my 3rd or 4th trip. I would just never invest in the higher priced passes.

mickEblu

No, again, that's why we went cheap. I've been twice, have 2 more reservations booked. My pass will basically be paid for after my 3rd or 4th trip. I would just never invest in the higher priced passes.

These days I would recommend the Imagine pass to pretty much anyone with any weekday flexibility. We just weren’t about to use up a good chunk of my wife’s PTO or sick days going to Disneyland. We would like to go on long vacation at some point next Spring and those sick days are valuable with a 5 and 1 year old.

Parteecia

Because Passholders feel entitled to the park. They bought the ability to make reservations to visit the park for a low monthly fee. But admission has always been subject to availability. I'm sorry if there are too many passholders all trying to go, but they have no more right to be upset that a day ticket holder not being able to get in on a sold out day. I can't buy a day ticket for this weekend or next. They are sold out. Why should a passholder be more entitled than me?
It's only comparable if you've already paid for the ticket and it has an expiration date.

Professortango1

It's only comparable if you've already paid for the ticket and it has an expiration date.
Not really, because a pass isn't admission. You need a reservation for either. Its a discount program that you're buying into.

If you buy a pass and go to the parks 10 times a year, then you made a profit. I'm not lighting a candle because you can't get into the parks during the holiday season because other passholders soaked up several reservations each. Go a bunch in Feb-April.

Professortango1

I've been doing this option for a few years. With my work schedule, I really only am available Saturdays. This means if I were to get a pass, it has to be one of the top tiers to make it effective for me. Its also annoying when people want to go in groups and everyone has different pass levels. I want the freedom to go to the parks when the spirit hits or friends are available. Lower tier passes don't allow that for me.

So rather than keep buying a $800-$1000 pass each year and only visiting 5-6 times, I just buy a day ticket and visit 3-5 times. It is MUCH cheaper and easier. No blackout days to worry about. I go to the park whenever I want and spend a little over $100 for a ticket. To have that same freedom with a MK, I would need to spend $1500 and still jockey for reservations.

el_super

Really? I have friends and family passes from a CM and December is completely unavailable.

There are different levels of CM access that all have different calendars/availability. If you have CM Comp tickets, that will have a different availability from CM Main Gate/Self Admission. It was the self admission portion that was recently opened up for CMs.

M:SpilotISTC12

There are different levels of CM access that all have different calendars/availability. If you have CM Comp tickets, that will have a different availability from CM Main Gate/Self Admission. It was the self admission portion that was recently opened up for CMs.
Ahh I see. I'm hoping the guest comp tickets open soon.

el_super

Ahh I see. I'm hoping the guest comp tickets open soon.

Yeah I'm not at all sure if they are blocked out for December or if they are still waiting to make decisions. For what it's worth, the Main Gate passes, that allow CMs to sign in their friends and family, have absolutely no availability from now until December as well. The self-sign-in seems like a stop gap to make sure CMs themselves can still go in and enjoy the park for the time being, but perhaps that will fill up soon too.

The park has been pretty busy the last few days. I heard there was an altercation at Pirates the other day due, in part, to the lines being so long.

mickEblu

So Over the weekend I was checking for next day reservations and from about 9pm to midnight reservations were continually popping up. Now I didn’t go through the whole process and actually book the day but I think if one really wants next day reservations they re there for the taking. Many people are cancelling during that time.

M:SpilotISTC12

Yeah I'm not at all sure if they are blocked out for December or if they are still waiting to make decisions. For what it's worth, the Main Gate passes, that allow CMs to sign in their friends and family, have absolutely no availability from now until December as well. The self-sign-in seems like a stop gap to make sure CMs themselves can still go in and enjoy the park for the time being, but perhaps that will fill up soon too.

The park has been pretty busy the last few days. I heard there was an altercation at Pirates the other day due, in part, to the lines being so long.
Great so it looks like I'll have to buy a ticket. 🙄

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I've been doing this option for a few years. With my work schedule, I really only am available Saturdays. This means if I were to get a pass, it has to be one of the top tiers to make it effective for me. Its also annoying when people want to go in groups and everyone has different pass levels. I want the freedom to go to the parks when the spirit hits or friends are available. Lower tier passes don't allow that for me.

So rather than keep buying a $800-$1000 pass each year and only visiting 5-6 times, I just buy a day ticket and visit 3-5 times. It is MUCH cheaper and easier. No blackout days to worry about. I go to the park whenever I want and spend a little over $100 for a ticket. To have that same freedom with a MK, I would need to spend $1500 and still jockey for reservations.

Exactly my situation. And that's how I plan to visit, going forward. I'm sure many others are making the same calculation. Whereas higher-level passes may have made sense for a Saturdays-only visitor in the AP era, I don't see how the Magic Keys make sense for us in Chapek's brave new world.

I honestly believe that what we’re seeing is an “ I can finally go again and I have a key so let’s book a reservation and go!” I believe it will regulate itself. I also questioned why the rest of my family couldn’t book a reservation a few days after I did, yet a single day ticket holder could still get a reservation. Asked Disney, and got my answer. Apparently wenn’s mk holders are on a completely different calendar of availability. Basically they answered my question by rewording my question. Very frustrating. As we approach the holiday season, I know things will be difficult when wanting to obtain a reservation, but when I go four more times in the next eleven months( my pass started last month) I’ll have gotten my moneys worth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom