News Nightmare Scenario Unfolds for Disneyland Passholders as Reservations Disappear

Disstevefan1

I was watching a YouTuber and apparently they magically created more reservations in DLR for APs. Possibly bugs in the code or they simply created more reservations to calm the waters.

The number of reservations available is arbitrary so it doesn’t matter in any event.

Rich T

Already the Bobs’ plans are becoming “normal.”

It amazes me how many hoops fans will jump through for their Disney fix. I’ll bet if the Bobs decided to literally charge an arm and a leg for park admission, there would be die-hards saying, “Well, at least I can go twice more.”

Californian Elitist

Already the Bobs’ plans are becoming “normal.”

It amazes me how many hoops fans will jump through for their Disney fix. I’ll bet if the Bobs decided to literally charge an arm and a leg for park admission, there would be die-hards saying, “Well, at least I can go twice more.”
The execs are simply taking advantage of the Mouse-obsessed, can’t get enough, “I’ll never stop going” fans that have no interest in stopping their visits. And like you said, these plans will be normal in no time. Fans will adjust, conform, and evolve along with the changes. There may be a few complaints by some of them, but best believe they’re going to make sure they’re at the parks throughout the year.

Rich T

The execs are simply taking advantage of the Mouse-obsessed, can’t get enough, “I’ll never stop going” fans that have no interest in stopping their visits. And like you said, these plans will be normal in no time. Fans will adjust, conform, and evolve along with the changes. There may be a few complaints by some of them, but best believe they’re going to make sure they’re at the parks throughout the year.
I really wonder what it would take for some people to say enough’s enough. How many shallow, sub-par new offerings have to open, how many classic attractions need to be ruined, how bad does the value per dollar have to get? If Disney removed every ride and turned the entire resort into one giant $500 admission food court selling $10 cupcakes and $20 Dole Whips, I bet there’d still be people showing up as long as it was still called Disneyland and they could get an “autograph” from a college student dressed as Cinderella...While sobbing in joy about how magical the corporation is.

Cripes, my former favorite place has become something I despise! Thanks, Bobs!

Californian Elitist

I really wonder what it would take for some people to say enough’s enough. How many shallow, sub-par new offerings have to open, how many classic attractions need to be ruined, how bad does the value per dollar have to get? If Disney removed every ride and turned the entire resort into one giant $500 admission food court selling $10 cupcakes and $20 Dole Whips, I bet there’d still be people showing up as long as it was still called Disneyland and they could get an “autograph” from a college student dressed as Cinderella...While sobbing in joy about how magical the corporation is.

Cripes, my former favorite place has become something I despise! Thanks, Bobs!
Thinking of the specific type of guest that I have in my mind, the ones I came across as a CM many times… I’d say there’s nothing that will happen that would get them to stop going. I’m talking about the fans that are unhealthily and disturbingly obsessed with the place.

We have to remember that the fans who cry from joy about their “magical” experiences are more than likely fans of the park simply because it’s a fun place to be at. They’re not Disneyland history fans, nor do they even care to inquire. They don’t care about the park’s legacy, Walt Disney’s blood, sweat, and tears that went into creating and building the park, etc. None of that matters. All they care about is being able to ride their favorite rides, including the new, mediocre ones that really have very little going for them (Rise, Web Slingers, etc.), buying their favorite Disneyland snacks, and wearing their sparkly Mickey ears for every visit. I personally know many people who fit into this category, one of them being my best friend who happened to be there today and posted a photo of herself and her cousin in front of the castle with their matching villains t-shirts on.

I don’t despise Disneyland, but it’s clearly not the same as it was even just a few years ago. There are plenty of things that are still there that are fantastic experiences, but what I don’t appreciate is being taken advantage of and the lack of at least good new offerings nowadays, which combined, are outweighing the good. Crappy Marvel land, boring Star Wars land, Pixar Pier, outdated parades, testing paid Christmas parties, and the worst of all, Genie+ and the Magic Key program. Pay more for less benefits! Gotta be kidding me. How insulting.

It doesn’t make financial sense to spend my hard-earned money at the parks, especially when in the back of my mind, I’m well aware that the folks currently running the parks are thinking of new ways to get me to spend more and more while doing the least amount of work, every day. AND the new stuff is garbage? Yeah, not gonna give them that satisfaction.

SoCalDisneyLover

All they care about is being able to ride their favorite rides, including the new, mediocre ones that really have very little going for them (Rise, Web Slingers, etc.),
You didn't really say Rise is "mediocre," did you? Very little going for it? Do you mean like other than the fact it's themed after one of the most lucrative, if not the most lucrative, movie franchises of all time?

Californian Elitist

You didn't really say Rise is "mediocre," did you? Very little going for it? Do you mean like other than the fact it's themed after one of the most lucrative, if not the most lucrative, movie franchises of all time?
No, you read that correctly. I definitely wrote it and meant it. Very much mediocre, very much little going for it. I’ve said this multiple times, but I was not impressed by the ride experience. The queue is better than the actual ride. Pan is better than Rise, let alone some of classic E’s like Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc.

Not exactly sure what it being based on the Star Wars franchise has to do with anything. Unless you’re arguing it has something going for it because it’s based on Star Wars?

el_super

I really wonder what it would take for some people to say enough’s enough. How many shallow, sub-par new offerings have to open, how many classic attractions need to be ruined, how bad does the value per dollar have to get?

The value of a Disneyland visit isn't just derived from the attractions. Some people continually go, because it offers a safe, comfortable place for a family outing. There is some subset of people going to Disneyland who never ride an attraction and probably wouldn't care if they were all removed, because that isn't the point of their visit.

As we have now seen with the complaints over reservations, there are people who value mere access above the actual experience and abilitiy to ride attractions.

drizgirl

The value of a Disneyland visit isn't just derived from the attractions. Some people continually go, because it offers a safe, comfortable place for a family outing. There is some subset of people going to Disneyland who never ride an attraction and probably wouldn't care if they were all removed, because that isn't the point of their visit.

As we have now seen with the complaints over reservations, there are people who value mere access above the actual experience and abilitiy to ride attractions.
Spoken like someone who didn't fly half way across the country for a once in a lifetime visit.

el_super

Spoken like someone who didn't fly half way across the country for a once in a lifetime visit.

Yeah, again you are showing that you don't understand what is driving the attendance. People spend more time figuring out which matching shirts to wear for their family vacations than trying to figure out which attractions are worth riding.

el_super

Again, you are generalizing. I’m sure it’s true for some. But not even close to everyone.

Seriously though, how else do you explain decades of park changes that the fans bemoan as decline after decline, while attendance keeps going up and up?

There is clearly a disconnect between what the fans think is important and what keeps people coming back.

josh2000

All of this is very strange to watch as someone who is lucky to visit Disneyland even once a year. I am only able to go for two or three days at a time. I have to fly across the country! Imagine people who have to fly in from Canada/Mexico/etc. seeing this thread. AP culture is very foreign to me.

Stevek

And this is why I went with the cheap pass. We all knew things would be different, Disney really never led anyone on as far as I'm concerned. I think a lot of former AP holders made the leap that it would be exactly the same but just with reservations. The days of the old AP ways aka making a last minute trip are likely over for the most part.

Stevek

All of this is very strange to watch as someone who is lucky to visit Disneyland even once a year. I am only able to go for two or three days at a time. I have to fly across the country! Imagine people who have to fly in from Canada/Mexico/etc. seeing this thread. AP culture is very foreign to me.
Disneyland has always had a very devoted following. The amount of times some people visit does feel excessive to me but that's their thing, not mine. Disney recognized it's a problem and are now trying to fix it, much to the dismay of people that could visit daily and will now likely be much more limited in their visits.

josh2000

Disneyland has always had a very devoted following. The amount of times some people visit does feel excessive to me but that's their thing, not mine. Disney recognized it's a problem and are now trying to fix it, much to the dismay of people that could visit daily and will now likely be much more limited in their visits.
Disney seems to be in a love-hate relationship with passholders. They want to keep the locals coming and spending money but at the same time they hate the perception that Disneyland is a 'locals park'. They dream of turning Disneyland Resort into Walt Disney World. They want it to be a international resort destination.

They seem to go through phases of hardcore catering to AP's but then shunning them the next minute. The messaging is very inconsistent.

Stevek

Disney seems to be in a love-hate relationship with passholders. They want to keep the locals coming and spending money but at the same time they hate the perception that Disneyland is a 'locals park'. They dream of turning Disneyland Resort into Walt Disney World. They want it to be a international resort destination.

They seem to go through phases of hardcore catering to AP's but then shunning them the next minute. The messaging is very inconsistent.
Yes, kinda. They want to continue to draw tourists from the West and Far East while making the experience enjoyable. They are trying to figure out that balance. It's a bit clunky right now but they will keep tweaking it.

Stevek

I was listening to the Mousestalgia Fastpass podcast this AM on my morning walk and it kinda set me off a bit.

They started off their show with a rant about how they paid for the top tier pass and could not get any reservations. They prefaced it by saying, "We don't want to come off a certain way" i.e. they don't want to make it seem like they are entitled to more access than the guests paying for lower tier passes. They then go on to come off exactly like they didn't want.

1) They believe that the higher tiers should have more reservations allocated to them during the days where all passes are good and stated that by paying $1400, they should have more access/perks. Well, they do. They paid more to have no blockout dates, a greater discount on merch/food and parking included (which they stated but chose to ignore as the perk they were paying extra for). I paid for the lowest tier and by doing so, have significantly more blockout dates, a lower merch/food discount and I have to pay for parking on every visit. That is the difference. There should be zero difference in our ability to make reservations for the days we are both not blocked out.

2) They want the reservation system removed and stated that they were paying more to get less. Duh. Disney made it very clear that this was not the same system. Changing the name was the first clue. Adding reservations should have been the second. We discussed it ad nauseum here. There were a lot of tentative people here that had concerns that park access would be lower for everyone with Magic Keys because that's exactly what Disney was shooting for and now that's playing out.

The biggest issue is that it's clear many people went in with blinders on given their desire for a pass again. Unfortunately, they chose to buy without truly thinking about the potential implications of these changes. They went in thinking it would be exactly the same which Disney NEVER promised. This is exactly why we went with the cheapest pass given it had the lowest risk of disappointment.

Edit: On this week's podcast, the host stated she cried every day that Disneyland was closed...like cried. every. day. I think I may be done with this podcast.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom