Night Shots

WizardMickey

Original Poster
I'm new here to this site... was actually doing some surfing & found by accident!! Anyway, I noticed in the Photo Gallery some EXCELLENT night shots taken around EPCOT of SE & Illuminations as well as many others. I'm currently in the market for something (digital) that takes night shots. I currently have a Fuji FinePix 2600Z, & nightshots just ain't happenin'! Someone recommended finding a camera that "Low-light focus assist system, which sends out a beam of light that bounces off the subject & back to the camera." Well, the only decent place around here to even get a camera is Wal-Mart, & the 2 I'm looking at are the Canon S1IS Powershot & the A310 Powershot. Neither however say anything about low-light focus assist systems & the people who work there aren't much help with tech/spec questions. Any help or suggestions?

DigitalDisney

Hrmm...I guess it depends on what you want. Just about any camera can take semi-decent nighttime shots with a little effort.

My original digital camera, an entry level Olympus d.c., could take excellent nighttime shots. All of the nighttime shots on my site were taken with that camera. It was just a matter of turning the flash off and holding the camera still or strategically placing it on a ledge of some sort.

My newer camera (Olympus 2100UZ) takes amazing pictures at night, and I have full control of everything. The long-exposure shot in my avatar was taken with this camera, as were the shots in my gallery here.

IMO, don't worry about "low light focus systems." If you're going to take great nighttime pictures, you should probably be in manual mode (focus, ISO, shutter speed, etc). As long as your new camera has a good range of manual options, you should be fine.

The first thing you'll want to do is practice before your trip. Taking pictures at night is completely different than taking quick-snap pictures during the day. It also takes a lot more time, if you want to do it right.

barnum42

One word for night shots - "tripod" :D

As I'm not one to lug a tripod around with me, trash cans walls and railings all make good substitutes.

DigitalDisney

barnum42 said:
One word for night shots - "tripod" :D

As I'm not one to lug a tripod around with me, trash cans walls and railings all make good substitutes.
True. You can get a lot of decent shots just by setting your camera on a rail or trashcan or ledge or table, etc.

However, you should be able to fit a collapsable tripod and all of your camera supplies in a decent sized backpack, which is extremely easy to carry around. With a tripod, your opportunities for great nighttime pix increase approximately 1,000,000x

WizardMickey

Original Poster
I've seen/read/heard a few people mention "ISO". What does that mean? (Pardon my inquisitiveness!) I checked my camera's manual setting & don't yet see an option for setting shutter speeds or whatever the ISO is.

DigitalDisney

The camera's ISO setting basically determines how sensitive the photo sensor (CCD) is to light. The more sensitive it is, the less light you need to take a shot. Most basic digital cameras have an ISO between 100-150, and this cannot be changed on the fly. Common ISO settings for film are 100, 200, and 400, and the higher-end digital cameras can emulate these on the CCD.

What make/model camera do you have now?

Sometimes, all you need to do is to disable the flash, and the camera will automatically allow itself to have the shutter open for a longer period of time (it has to compensate because there won't be the bright flash). You may not be able to control the shutter speed, but the shutter *should* stay open long enough for an image to show on the CCD, even in darker conditions.

I don't know about your camera, but with my original camera, none of this was mentioned specifically in the manual. It was all discovered through trial and error.

EpcoTim

If you have a digital camera, check to see how long you can leave the shutter open before to much noise ruins the picture.I havent found many digitals that can go over 30 seconds without a good amount of noise being introduced. Im behind in the times, I still like shooting slides and bw, slides being the best for capturing long exposuires in my opinion.

Figment1986

I have got to figure out how to get that working on my Nikon 4300.....

I never can get great nighttime shots.... only decent....

PhotoDave219

Its called slow synching a flash. Basically what you need to do is to figure out the proper exposure (through trial and error if you'd like) for your subject and the background. Like one of my shots of SpectroMickey and the castle....

Or you can just use a tripod. To a degree.

WizardMickey

Original Poster
I currently have a Fuji FinePix 2600Z. FINALLY found the correct manual, & there is instructions for setting the White Balance for shooting in shade (doubt that'll too helpful) as well as using either Suppressed Flash and/or Slow Synchro. Both talk about use for night-time shooting or in venues where the distance is too great for the flash to be effective. Sounds like I need to maybe play around & experiment with these functions????

PhotoDave219

Yes. Slow Synch is one of those. Now thats only effective for balancing a near object and a far object. Remember, flashes dont travel that far

WizardMickey

Original Poster
Okay, maybe this will help narrow down the field of suggestions: The main thing(s) I'm interested in getting pictures of this trip are; Castle/SSE/Hat & any other park icons @ night, MVMCP & Christmas lights/decorations, and possibly fireworks. Let the information fly!!

barnum42

PhotoDave219 said:
Remember, flashes dont travel that far
Have you found that people do not believe you when you try and tell people that? Such as "Your flash will not illuminate all of Main Street USA and the castle" or "You can't use a flash to take pictures of fireworks" :lol:

ogryn

barnum42 said:
Here's an example I took with my humble point and shoot digital camera. I propped it up on the end of the flower bed in front of Spaceship Earth and left it to it's own devices.

However the lens could not fit all of the structure so I took shots of the top and the bottom then merged them together in the PC.

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=yfyinh&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

pah, why didn't you edit the wand out whilst you were there?
:animwink: :p

I have a cheapy Digital Camera, and can only change the exposure between +/- 2.0 in 0.5 increments. Any suggestions for capturing fireworks?

barnum42

Regarding getting fireworks on a point and shoot:

On my old digital camera I had no control over exposure, but I was able to capture some illuminations shots by propping it up on the railing and hoping for the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom