Night of Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

prberk

I didn't know my avatar was a judge of my character.

How can it not be? The whole point of an avatar here is to be some sort of representation (however minimal) of yourself: your tastes, your favorite character, your dislikes, etc. Since you completely control the selection of your avatar (unlike other things like your skin color or genetics), all of this is some reflection of your character. It's a personal statement.

People who "call themselves Christians" essentially have Christ as an avatar (a statement about themselves) -- but they hurt their message and disrespect him, as you suggested, when they go to a Christian event and act completely un-Christian. I agree with you there.

In fact, I definitely agree about the behavior of the kids at NOJ. But I had to say that what you say about yourself (especially in a selection of an avatar -- which is like a "company logo" for us here) does matter, and it is a part of the reflection of your character, by definition. Anytime we choose something that represents us, it does just that: represent us.

Paul

Nemo14

How can it not be? The whole point of an avatar here is to be some sort of representation (however minimal) of yourself: your tastes, your favorite character, your dislikes, etc. Since you completely control the selection of your avatar (unlike other things like your skin color or genetics), all of this is some reflection of your character. It's a personal statement.

People who "call themselves Christians" essentially have Christ as an avatar (a statement about themselves) -- but they hurt their message and disrespect him, as you suggested, when they go to a Christian event and act completely un-Christian. I agree with you there.

In fact, I defirnitely agree about the behavior of the kids at NOJ. But I had to say that what you say about yourself (especially in a selection of an avatar -- which is like a "company logo" for us here) does matter, and it is a part of the reflection of your character, by definition. Anytime we choose something that represents us, it does just that: represent us.

Paul
Wonderful post Paul!

yodathefrog

Wonderful post Paul!

Agreed.

Perception is 100% of who you are. Despite the fact that many kids call themselves "Christian", they are perceived by others from their actions. Your outward appearance is what people judge you by, not your innermost thoughts or feelings. I've led kids in my church's youth group for 10 years, and I try my hardest to get our kids to understand this very point.

I was at the Night of Joy this past Friday night, it just so happened to work into my vacation. I too saw the behavior of most of the kids...I also saw the behavior of a large number who were there to enjoy the artists and reflected this in their behavior. Here's my guess...kids that are there for the "right" reasons probably never even stepped foot on more than one or two rides. The kids that were just "there", were the kids we have been discussing for the last three pages.

SpongeScott

In fact, I definitely agree about the behavior of the kids at NOJ. But I had to say that what you say about yourself (especially in a selection of an avatar -- which is like a "company logo" for us here) does matter, and it is a part of the reflection of your character, by definition. Anytime we choose something that represents us, it does just that: represent us.

Paul
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Bluewaves

As one who has read these threads for many years now there sems to be a theme among cm's that NOJ is no fun for them, I'm sure many teens are just dropped at the park and act however they wish too due to lack of adult supervision, I'm sure some enjoy it and I'm also sure some just go to hang out and cause trouble.

Personally I find Christian music boring and not very interesting so I choose not to listen, don't think I would ever listen to Evanesence if they were still branded Christian rock and if you ever heard or read anything Amy Lee said she was never for the Christian rock branding it was all their label.

Now with that said I would believe that no matter what you have a large groups of teens with less than normal adult supervision and you have trouble plain and simple.:animwink:

yodathefrog

Personally I find Christian music boring and not very interesting so I choose not to listen,...

I respect your opinion but I'll give you a few bands to try!

Switchfoot, Relient K, David Crowder Band...if you've heard of them, here are some you probably haven't...MuteMath, This Holiday Life, Paramore, Anberlin

maconMouse

Did David Crowder Band and Chris Tomlin play? I heard them in California last July and they were simply terrific!

Yes, they did and both gave awesome concerts back to back on Friday night on the main castle stage! I had never heard either before in person, and was just blown away. It was great having some new acts this year. I love MercyMe and Casting Crowns, and was a little surprised to not see them in the lineup. It didn't miss a beat without them though.

This was my third Night of Joy in a row, and it was another great year of worship and good times together. The rain cleared out beautifully both nights just in time for the concerts. Both nights didn't sell out until the start of the weekend, and it seemed less crowded than years past to me. But, I stuck primarily to the concert stages, and didn't get on the rides. It really is special being close together there on the footsteps of the castle with so many people enjoying the Christian music. I thought it was funny too when they said, "Thank God for deodorant."

One very magical moment was on Saturday night when Steven Curtis Chapman sang his brand new song "Cinderella" on the main stage. He shared some special stories of his family, and dancing with his daughters too. Everyone laughed when he said he had bought everything with a Disney princess on it in triplicate for his three daughters. And having the newsboys as the finale of the event was wonderful. Their energy is a sight to behold.

It also is so special to just walk around the park and hear Christian music in each of the different lands rather than the themed music we're used too. I really love the complimentary 25th anniversary CD they gave us this year with 25 free downloads too. I'm listening to it now.

Thank you to all the folks who make this event happen. Z88.3 did such a wonderful job once again, and now I'm addicted to listening to their online feed & keeping up with Orlando from here. I can't wait for Night of Joy 2008.

So I'll know for next year, how do you get one of the green wristbands for getting up close at the stage? I ordered my tickets through WDW on the website in early 2007, and don't remember anything about that.

stalkingmickey

We were told by a Disney employee NoJ is not a Disney sponsered event. They do not keep the rides open all night, no fireworks show unless they were bought and no parade.

I could see the parks filling up like crazy friday. OMG EPCOT was packed Friday night and Saturday with all the families who were not at Disney for NoJ

I didn't like the fact that I was woken up by sound checks at the MK at 4 AM Friday morning and the same Satureday morning. Thats pretty rude of Disney to think there guest who pay a lot of money to stay at their hotels would not mind this.

ImaYoyo

So I'll know for next year, how do you get one of the green wristbands for getting up close at the stage? I ordered my tickets through WDW on the website in early 2007, and don't remember anything about that.[/quote]
If you ordered as part of a group before June 1st, you had your choice of VIP experiences being either VIP Castle Stage Access or a VIP Lounge.

ImaYoyo

Cast Member...
We were told by a Disney employee NoJ is not a Disney sponsered event. They do not keep the rides open all night, no fireworks show unless they were bought and no parade.

I could see the parks filling up like crazy friday. OMG EPCOT was packed Friday night and Saturday with all the families who were not at Disney for NoJ

I didn't like the fact that I was woken up by sound checks at the MK at 4 AM Friday morning and the same Satureday morning. Thats pretty rude of Disney to think there guest who pay a lot of money to stay at their hotels would not mind this.
It is run completely by us. We book the entertainment, we sell the tickets individually and by groups, we run the event, we rake in the profit :D

BTW, there will be a BIG change to Night of Joy 2008. Hope you all enjoyed your event this year at the Magic Kingdom...

Shadowdawn

I'm not exactly religious, but I still think a lot of faith-inspired musicians are pretty cool :)

I just wanted to say that you are one of the only people that I've "met" that is not a religious fanatic that likes Flyleaf. Just to make my statement clear I don't think everyone who likes them is a fanatic, it's just everyone I personally have come across have told me that I should not like them because I am not Christian.

I wish WDW would have some kind of New Age concert weekend but I don't think "we" have any really cool bands.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

you were told extremely wrong information

Tigger2000

I just wanted to say that you are one of the only people that I've "met" that is not a religious fanatic that likes Flyleaf. Just to make my statement clear I don't think everyone who likes them is a fanatic, it's just everyone I personally have come across have told me that I should not like them because I am not Christian.

haha, I think fanatic's a bit of an understatement for me, I LOVEEEE Flyleaf so much. Anyways, yeah I noticed a lot of like everyday fans have said that, or at least on your side of the pond.
If you go to a Flyleaf fansite or forum, I think they're basically just about the music. I mean Lacey herself has even said enjoy the music if that's all you're listening to, they're not exactly screaming (excuse the pun :p ) in your face YOU MUST BE A CHRISTIAN. It's just a part of their music.

I also thought it was quite amusing how someone mentioned about Evanescence not being a Christian band too, I can't believe some people have slated them for saying so, even gone to some lengths as to say they worship the devil.
I mean honestly, The members of the band are Christians, but they don't put out music about that, the only song they did was "Tourniquet" but that was from the ex-drummer's other band, Soul Embraced.

I really should read about other stuff than Ev and Flyleaf haha:rolleyes:

WildcatDen

I'm an amazingly devout christian. I just don't publicize it. I don't feel the need to. Faith is an amazing thing though. I just don't make mine known to people that don't need to know it. Less arguments that way :)

Kinda kicks the Great Commission right in the ol keaster doesn't it?

I have been given all authority in heaven and earth. Therefore go and make disciples in all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and then teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you; and be sure of this - that I am with you always, even to the end of the world

Stand in the Gap my friend, Stand in the Gap.

Teenchy

I have been to the last 3 NOJ's but was unable to attend this year.

Last year I was also upset by the behavior of some, but then I just said to myself...."Just another reason why we need a Savior, because if it was up to us we'd never make it"!

My only other complaint has also been that it seems like there are not enough good concert viewing areas (The castle stage being the exception) that you can get a good view, unless you bypass everyone but your favorite and just "camp out" in one spot all night.

The theater in tomorrowland just doesn't work with such big crowds.

All that said cant wait to go again in the future.

And whats the big change coming for 2008??????

tirian

Well, this employee lied to you. Disney was the first mainstream company to EVER sponsor Christian concerts like this. This is NoJ's 25th anniversary. There's no way that the Cast Member is simply misinformed either, because Disney has been advertising the concerts backstage since May.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I have been given all authority in heaven and earth. Therefore go and make disciples in all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and then teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you; and be sure of this - that I am with you always, even to the end of the world

Somehow, I don't think I 'm going to burn for failing to spread the gospel to the unknowing :)

I don't think she works that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom