Nicknames on Mouse Ears

El_Chupacabra

Original Poster
when you got your mouse ears did you put your name on the hat or did you have a nick name?

when me and my friend went to put our "nicknames" on them they wouldnt let us....

i wanted "SPIKE" and my friend wanted "SPUNKY" when we told the lady....her name was Janis Toledo, OH.....she said we had to put our real names on....why is it that they cant put nicknames on or was she just being difficult?

colliera

That's the rule.

Nope! I've heard about that rule before as well. (Did I see that somewhere in the shop or hear someone told the same thing? Can't remember).

I don't really know why this is so except to speculate that some nicknames might not be so "innocent." So if you let one then you have to let everyone. Where do you draw the line?

I believe that this has always been a rule but they are enforcing it more now. It even says in the shops that embroiders. They are being very strict about it too. The sign says something along the lines of "Embroidery $4.00. Real names only" So unless you can prove that your names are "Spike" and "Spunky" you gotta go with your real names.

Merlin

Account Suspended
I think we've established that it is, in fact, a rule (I've encountered it as well). But what the OP was asking (and I have always wondered too) is what is the reason for this rule? Does anyone know?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
They're strict - had a friend whose nickname was on pretty much everything for her except her liscense, even her Disney nametags, and they wouldn't do it.

momto3grr8tkids

Yes this has been the rule for a very long time. We were told that it is because some nicknames could be offensive. The only exception to the nickname rule is they did allow us to put Mommy and Daddy on the back of our ears.

Kwit35

mousermerf said:
They're strict - had a friend whose nickname was on pretty much everything for her except her liscense, even her Disney nametags, and they wouldn't do it.
What is her nickname? Just curious.

Scooter

I'm pretty sure this rule was made to preserve the integrity of the Disney name.

Disney doesn't want people walking around with mouse ears that say things like Doomazz or KrustyDrawers or Dikweed on them.

It makes sense to me so I don't have a problem with it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Perfectly good example of why in OP... "Spunky"?

"Spunk" has very naughty meaning in some parts of the world! :lookaroun

My nickname is also other people's name, so I'm ok. :sohappy:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Where do they draw the line in deciding whether it's a person's nickname or their real name? For example, I once tried to buy some mouse ears for a co-worker named Mikey. They wouldn't let me do it because they said Mikey is a nickname. True, the guy's name is Michael according to his birth certificate, drivers license, passport and all other identifying documents. But everyone who knows this guy has always called him Mikey. For all intents and purposes, that's his name. So I don't get why they turned down a sale over something like that. :brick:

Btw, whenever I've gone to purchase my mouse ears with my real name, no one has ever asked me to prove that's my name. How do they know I'm not giving them a nickname?

Merlin

Account Suspended
MontyMon said:
Perfectly good example of why in OP... "Spunky"?

"Spunk" has very naughty meaning in some parts of the world! :lookaroun

My nickname is also other people's name, so I'm ok. :sohappy:

Okay, so suppose your real name is something like ________ (the shortened name for Richard). Are they going to require you to prove it in order to ensure that they are not allowing "an offensive name" to be put on the mouse ears? I would think that would be embarassing the guest inappropriately.

ballewclan

Merlin said:
Okay, so suppose your real name is something like ________ (the shortened name for Richard). Are they going to require you to prove it in order to ensure that they are not allowing "an offensive name" to be put on the mouse ears? I would think that would be embarassing the guest inappropriately.

I never got why the shorted name for Richard was that...

sorry off topic :lookaroun

Merlin

Account Suspended
madame_leota_19 said:
my real name is christina, but I've always asked for chrissie. no one said anything to me.

That's my point. I can't see how anyone could misconstrue "chrissie" as having any kind of obscene or raunchy hidden meaning. Yet, technically, that's a nickname. So where do they draw the line? Do they base it on whether it could somehow be taken as obscene? And if that is indeed the criteria, then who determines that? Do they train the CMs on all possible "bad words", sexually-oriented terms, and double entendres they could potentially encounter?

PencilTest

Scooter said:
Disney doesn't want people walking around with mouse ears that say things like Doomazz or KrustyDrawers or Dikweed on them.
Hah! That's great.

Ahh...anyway. I had my grandmother's nickname ("Mor Mor") put on mouse ears in Disneyland. Since that's Norwegian for "Mother's Mother", they let me do it. It must depend on who you get to do the embroidery. And to be honest, I don't believe I've ever called my gran'ma "KrustyDrawers".

Dwarful

never really thought about this. We have had mom and dad, and the girls names, but on the Pirate hats they put on "Captain ...." or " Pirate..." will they do "princess..." on any of the hats ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom