Nicknames on Mouse Ears

Enderikari

I have a couple of pairs of ears with nicknames on them, most notably my golden ears with "ENDER" on them.

Generally, the computer embroidery at MGM and DTD are a lot more lenient about putting nicknames.

maelstrom

I think it depends on the CM a lot of the time. I don't understand not putting Mikey, but I do understand not putting Spunky (as innocent as it may be in your case, spunk has a very naughty alternate meaning). I had both my nametags made up to say Cookie and didn't have a problem.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Merlin said:
That's my point. I can't see how anyone could misconstrue "chrissie" as having any kind of obscene or raunchy hidden meaning. Yet, technically, that's a nickname. So where do they draw the line? Do they base it on whether it could somehow be taken as obscene? And if that is indeed the criteria, then who determines that? Do they train the CMs on all possible "bad words", sexually-oriented terms, and double entendres they could potentially encounter?

Following through on that thought, have you questioned that on this site certain terms become just a string of underlines? Will you be challenging Steve? There are terms that are simply easier to block than to take the risk of profanity. If they say no, accept it and come up with something they don't object to. It's Disney! Fretting over putting a nickname on a hat can't be worth it.

SusanAnne

When my daughter (who was 17 at the time,) went two years ago, she asked if she could put her teachers nickname on it, which was Mr. B, and the cast member let her, but told her to please put it away, cause (cast member) could get in trouble for it.

Yellow Shoes

I would make a distinction between nicknames (Sparky, Chip, Princess La La, etc) and diminutives, such as
Rich, Ricky, Rick, etc. for Richard
Cindy for Cynthia
Katie for Katherine
Hank for Henry
Jack for John

Bottom line, it is going to depend upon the CM behind the embroidery machine.

El_Chupacabra

Original Poster
yellow shoes

i like your signature

its funny

but honestly i would agree that it is the CM running the machine but i think there should be an ammendment to the rule saying it is up to the CM to decide whether the nickanme is appropriate or not becuase some really arent

i dont see anything wrong with Spike or Spunky

thats just my thought

Neverwhere

It's true. But I was once successful at getting my friends last name on hers. They gave me a really hard time about it. I finally told them, look, no one calls her by her first name and she's be really sad if it had her first name and they finally caved. This was in 2002 though.

Merlin

Account Suspended
MontyMon said:
Following through on that thought, have you questioned that on this site certain terms become just a string of underlines? Will you be challenging Steve? There are terms that are simply easier to block than to take the risk of profanity. If they say no, accept it and come up with something they don't object to. It's Disney! Fretting over putting a nickname on a hat can't be worth it.

Actually, I have wondered that, now that you mention it. I've never been able to figure out why words like, say, crap, don't get edited out for example. Yet other words (namely, one in particular that I've seen legitimately used as a name....such as ________ Van or ________ Tracy) are censored.

Nevertheless, that's basically just one person making that judgment call. If Steve finds one word offensive but doesn't care about some others, that's his prerogative. It's his site. But how do you train 30,000 Cast Members to keep straight which words are supposed to be considered offensive and which ones aren't. I mean, truly, words like the "F" word for example, might be pretty commonly known as bad words. But words like Spunky? Not many people are going to catch that that word can also be a bad word. And like I stated earlier, what if someone's name legitimately is ________ (the shortened version of Richard)? Is that person forced to go around wearing ears that say Richard (even if no one calls them by that name) simply because Disney thinks they might mean something different? Would I be prevented from buying ears for a friend with that name simply because that's not the name on my driver's license? Just curious how they establish the guidelines on that.

CaptainMichael

kodiak5bears said:
What's that ladies name in "Austin Powers"??

Let's hope SHE doesn't get a hat!!

LOL!!
Well, her first name is Alotta so that wouldn't be a problem, but Pu$$y Galore from James Bond would have a hard time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom