NFL 2016 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Let me begin this by saying...I realize I am an older middle age woman and that I realize that I could not do any better, but... still...

Saw an interesting tidbit the other day. DH and I are mostly Packers fans. Himself having grown up out in CheeseLand. Any way - we are bit dispairing of Aaron Rogers latest trend of holding on to the ball and dithering like an old woman. Then since he hesitated - Rogers gets sacked like a punching bag.

I had been noticing that the tv coveage will sometimes cut away to one of the GB Coaches at those times, and you can see coach holding a clipboard either above his head, or out in front of him. I finally got a look at the inscription on the clipoboard... it says "Aaron DO SOMETHING !!".

YES!! Go Packers...please???
I've seen a lot of people criticizing Rodgers for holding onto the ball. I've only seen that since the offense has struggled. I never saw it when the offense was consistently top 10 material. He's held onto the ball for his entire career - it's who he is as a QB. Some of the best plays he makes is when he's holding onto the ball, rolling out of the pocket, or simply dancing around in the pocket. Without those abilities, there is no Detroit Hail Mary, no Rodgers to Cobb on 4th & 8 to send the Packers to the playoffs in 2013, and likely not a Super Bowl title to his name.

I get the frustration with the offensive struggles, but it's 3 weeks in since there was a bye in week 4. Rodgers made some incredible plays in Jacksonville. He struggled in Minnesota, but they have a top-tier defense. He played lights out in Detroit. The offense looked in sync. WIth Jordy Nelson continuing to knock off the rust and Eddie Lacy continuing to improve each week, by the end of the season these discussions could very well be laughable.

Anytime something goes wrong fans look for someone to blame. And pointing to the quarterback is the easiest target. I'm not saying Rodgers has been perfect this season, but he's been productive enough to get two wins and a near win against what looks like a scary Minnesota Vikings team. Most Packers fans have a mentality of "we should blow every opponent out of the water", which is rarely the case in the NFL. There is no full consistency; the season is a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Once that perspective is achieved, it makes watching football so much more enjoyable because you don't come to expect anything. Instead you just enjoy the show and the journey.

The Packers are a good football team. They have the potential to be at or above the level of their 2014 form, when I believed they were the best team in football. They are likely to be in playoff contention, and that's all that can be asked. The early part of the season is to set up a possible run for the playoffs, and so far the Packers are doing that. Once November and December roll around, then we can start seeing teams' true identities.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Rogers is one of the most dangerous quarterbacks when it comes to mobility.. both he and Ben get more dangerous the more time they have, even if rolling out or scrambling.

Rogers is not a sit and take the hit QB... or dump it down for another down.

PUSH

Original Poster
It might be the week that I lose. My team needs some TDs. I decided to start McKinnon this week and he hasn't given me much so far. Cam is out, so I'm starting Matt Ryan at Denver, and I had to pick up Hunter Henry at TE because Julius Thomas is on a bye, and Eric Ebron is out. And now Antonio Gates is back, so who knows how many snaps each will get. My kicker is also 0/1 on his kicks, and 0/1 on his extra points. If Denver has a bad day, I think I'll pull it off because my opponent has 4 Broncos on his team.

PUSH

Original Poster
Sammie Coates is on my bench and DeSean Jackson is starting. That's a 21 point differential so far that I've missed out on.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Pretty disappointed in how the Ravens played today. Dominated by short yardage passes because I'm going to assume that Trestman was afraid of the wind, not to mention all the boneheaded plays, like the fake FG that made ZERO sense and the fact that CJ Mosley apparently doesnt know how to hold onto a football with 2 hands when making a dive. Just sloppy play and extremely poor play calling.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Pretty disappointed in how the Ravens played today. Dominated by short yardage passes because I'm going to assume that Trestman was afraid of the wind, not to mention all the boneheaded plays, like the fake FG that made ZERO sense and the fact that CJ Mosley apparently doesnt know how to hold onto a football with 2 hands when making a dive. Just sloppy play and extremely poor play calling.

Well Trestman is gone now.. so :)

The fake FG was ill advised given the early time in the game. I like the aggressive play calling, but history has proved time and time again... you take the points early (akin to the 2 point try in the earlier game.. even tho it was a situation where the chart says 'go for 2')

The CJ play was just unreal. To go from an INT to a TD was just a collapse of the team. I admit I was screaming at the TV "GET IN!!" but the fascination with 'one handed' stuff in the NFL needs to die.

PUSH

Original Poster
Getting too close for comfort in fantasy. I'm up 106 to 100, with my opponent playing Greg Olsen. Olsen has 20 points and is a TD away from tying up the score.

PUSH

Original Poster
And it's tied at 106. I could have solved this problem by starting Sammie Coates and/or Randall Cobb. Instead I started Julio Jones and DeSean Jackson. :banghead:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Strong week for me.. even tho Carolina continues to SUCK

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 11.27.29 PM.png

PUSH

Original Poster
So. I tied. And apparently there are no tie breakers. So do I still count as undefeated? Because I haven't technically been defeated... 4-0-1.

PUSH

Original Poster
Five weeks in and Pro Bowl voting is already underway. I feel like that is way too early.

Donillary Crumpton

Did some early Christmas shopping today. To the ref(s) who missed that obvious pass interference call on Richard Sherman today at the end of the Falcons - Seahawks game. Found these for only $41.50 at Walgreens! (Plus got 20% off for shopping online.)
65865_ACUVUE_458X450.jpg

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm going to go to 5-0-1 in fantasy, knocking the second best team in the league down a game and a half. He'll still be the #2 team, but tied with someone else at 4-2. Cam and Julio led my team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom