Next Wave of Walt Disney Treasure's will be....

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Official word from Disney on the delay

We've just gotten official word that Disney's Walt Disney Treasures, Wave 3 has been delayed until May 18th, 2004. This includes The Chronological Donald, Volume 1 (1934-1941), Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2, Tomorrowland: Disney in Space and Beyond and Walt Disney On the Front Lines. We're told this has nothing to do with content issues - the delay is reportedly due to manufacturing capacity, or a lack thereof. With all the other big Disney titles being released, it's not possible to press enough copies of the WDT titles to meet demand by the originally scheduled release date. So just be aware.

source thedigitalbits.com

SirNim

What the heck?!

I had these on my Christmas list!

They won't be available until May?!

Hmph... :lookaroun

Oh well...

I guess I can still have 'em pre-ordered and given to me as birthday presents next year... :)

orlpassholder

Original Poster
With them pressing nemo and pirates they just plain ran out of time. I would rather have them wait and release the next wave then rush them and have issues.

orlpassholder

Original Poster
probably will be on track since they can spend the remaining time mastering the ones for this year and also already be started on next years

prberk

Of course, they could have done them earlier. The concept art was already done....

This means that my Disney Club discount, which ends 12/31/03, will not apply to my purchase of them.

As I implied above, though, I don't think that the company will promote them much, anyway. They don't seem to put a high priority on the classic stuff any more, anyway.

But I am glad, at least, that they ARE doing them.

3IdAlienKid

Further contributing to the manufacturing problems, in addition to too many other popular titles being released (Pirates), there was much more pre-order demand for Treasures Wave 3 than there were for the previous two waves.

I can see why. Tomorrowland has the much coveted Epcot film never shown publicly since '66 when it was made by Walt. Color Mickey vol 2 has Runaway Brain. And the WWII stuff speaks for itself.

Woody13

Blame NEMO & PoTC!

Disney Treasures Wave 3 DVD Collection Delayed

November 13, 2003

Due to "overwhelming consumer demand and retailer orders for Buena Vista Home Entertainment's WALT DISNEY TREASURES WAVE 3," the highly anticipated and collectible limited series has been pushed back from December 2, 2003 to May 18, 2004. Apparently Technicolor is backed up with manufacturing orders (including FINDING NEMO, THE LION KING and PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN), because, according to an official statement, "demand for the four titles in the upcoming wave has exceeded BVHE's ability to manufacture enough [units]."

prberk

I wonder if this wave is now in jeapardy from the Roy E. Disney maneuver?

His signature was supposed to be on the cover and liner notes, and he may be scheduled to speak as director of animation in the special features, as he has done before....

PeeplMoovr

I'm guessing that the increased demand is due not only to the subject matter of the wave 3 DVD's, but also to the fact that more and more people are finally going out and buying DVD players. Two years ago I think many people still didn't have them. Today it seems with how cheap the players are, everyone is finally getting one.
Just a thought. Maybe they should print more of them from now on and not keep them so "limited" in edition.

3IdAlienKid

originally posted by prberk
I wonder if this wave is now in jeopardy from the Roy E. Disney manuever?
I don't think it would be. They have plenty of time to erase the signature and change the design, as well as edit out his parts in the special features if there are any.

Incidentally, what special features of the previous two waves has he been a part of? I haven't noticed them myself.

orlpassholder

Original Poster
I have heard from several friends saying there is going to be a "rare" Mickey Animation to be included in the new Mickey Mouse In Living Color when it is released next May 2004.

prberk

Originally posted by 3IdAlienKid
Incidentally, what special features of the previous two waves has he been a part of? I haven't noticed them myself.

At least I think he has... I have several (MM in Living Color; Disneyland; Behind the Scenes at WD Studios). I will check them if I have time. Maybe I am just confusing this with an appearance on another disc, but I have seen him giving an animation tour on something....

Sorry I am wrong.

3IdAlienKid

prberk, I have never seen the Behind the Scenes at WD Studio, so I imagine you probably saw Roy on that one. :)

If anyone is interested, check out jimhillmedia.com and read Erasing Roy (Dec 11) and Erasing Roy: Rebuttal (Dec 12). Mr. Hill says he's been getting lots of reports saying the real reason for the Wave 3 delays was that Eisner simply ordered that any references to Roy be removed (mind you, this delay was ordered before Roy resigned, not after.). However, Leonard Maltin actually wrote back and said he didn't know anything about this, so the speculation continues.

Nineinchnailsmk

well, we'll see what happens. the latest issue of Disney Magazine has a full color page add for the third wave saying it will be released on 12-02 or something to that nature. obviously it hasnt been released yet.....

i dont think Roy Disney's departure will have any effect on the Treasures. He only left the board correct? That doesn't mean he left his job (whatever that was...) and im sure he has a "position" available. Something like "VP in command of (insert your title here)...." (removing Eisner maybe?) :drevil:

WDWspider

Run Away Brain!!!

Yea... I've never seen this one.

:sohappy: :sohappy:

(that's propably the rare one they are referring to orlpassholder)

Bagheera

Originally posted by Nineinchnailsmk
i dont think Roy Disney's departure will have any effect on the Treasures. He only left the board correct? That doesn't mean he left his job (whatever that was...) and im sure he has a "position" available. Something like "VP in command of (insert your title here)...." (removing Eisner maybe?) :drevil:

Roy also resigned his position as Chairman of Disney Feature Animation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom