Next CEO

No Name

I think they'll go with Kevin Mayer for CEO

My dream team would have been him as CEO and Tom Staggs in charge of Parks/ Resorts and consumer products (Chapek's job)

Tom Staggs was no genius. He understood the parks better than Bob Chapek but let things staggnate far too often rather than spend money to make money and help the business grow. There’s a reason he’s no longer next in line for CEO, nevermind even with the company. Wonder what he does now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not that I think he wants the job, but with all the recent success of the MCU especially with Endgame now beating Avatar....

So Kevin Feige's name has to be on the list somewhere. He also seems to have a soft spot for the Disney Parks, so that might be a good thing too.

Brer Oswald

Then you don't know or understand Disney history.
I do. Look at my username. They can spin it however they’d like, but the sole point of that reacquisition was the game and some good publicity from the diehards. We got a DVD collection out of it, and he got shoved back into the trash as soon as Epic Mickey 2 bombed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I do. Look at my username. They can spin it however they’d like, but the sole point of that reacquisition was the game and some good publicity from the diehards. We got a DVD collection out of it, and he got shoved back into the trash as soon as Epic Mickey 2 bombed.
The sole reason was to get back a piece of Disney history. The Oswald loss is what helped launch the whole company. Without Oswald being taken from Walt we wouldn’t have Mickey Mouse or The Walt Disney Company.

Also he is represented in the Parks, specifically in DCA in Anaheim. So no he isn’t just some thrown away character from a video game.

Brer Oswald

The sole reason was to get back a piece of Disney history. The Oswald loss is what helped launch the whole company. Without Oswald being taken from Walt we wouldn’t have Mickey Mouse or The Walt Disney Company.

Also he is represented in the Parks, specifically in DCA in Anaheim. So no he isn’t just some thrown away character from a video game.
I’m not debating the significance of my favourite Disney character. I’m debating the significance of his acquisition. Warren Spector wanted to make a video game where Mickey met Oswald since 2003. He pitched the idea to Disney and they loved it...but they didn’t own the character. So in 2006, they made the rather inconsequential trade of Al Michaels for Oswald.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not debating the significance of my favourite Disney character. I’m debating the significance of his acquisition. Warren Spector wanted to make a video game where Mickey met Oswald since 2003. He pitched the idea to Disney and they loved it...but they didn’t own the character. So in 2006, they made the rather inconsequential trade of Al Michaels for Oswald.
If it was just as simple as a video game they could have licensed the character from NBC.

Darkprime

THR has an update on Iger's successor. Seems like Mayer is the front runner.

Some observers now believe the inside track may belong to Kevin Mayer, chairman of direct-to-consumer and international who is expected to appear at the convention to showcase Disney+. That Iger has called the upcoming streamer the "most important product" to launch since he became CEO in 2005 speaks volumes about the stakes for Mayer, 57, and how the performance of Disney+ could influence who takes over when Iger retires at the end of 2021.

But Disney has been down this road before. Iger, 68, has changed his mind multiple times about retirement, citing big initiatives he needs to see through before leaving, the latest being the partial merger with 21st Century Fox, which closed March 20. Not only might Iger extend his run again, but the succession bake-off also could change dramatically, as it did when former CFO-COO Thomas Staggs — once positioned as the primary contender — left the company in 2016.

Many industry insiders see the race to replace Iger as still a wide-open competition. "There is no one who obviously comes to mind as a successor," notes Birenberg. "Iger will be difficult to replace," adds Ben Weiss, chief investment officer of 8th & Jackson Capital Management. "He had vision and wasn't afraid to bet big" and has "the respect of both the creative and the financial community."

Having been president of ABC Television and COO of Capital Cities/ABC, joining Disney when it purchased that entity in 1996, Iger comes from the TV side of the business, which some suggest gives Jimmy Pitaro and Peter Rice a leg up. Iger thinks highly of the latter; he made Rice, 53, chairman of Walt Disney Television and co-chair of Disney Media Networks after Rice joined the company by way of the Fox purchase, where he was instrumental in doubling the revenue of Fox Networks Group and oversaw big-ticket sports rights deals.

As for Pitaro, he was asked to prove his mettle when in 2018 he was made not only co-chair of Disney Media Networks but also president of ESPN, which one insider called "the toughest job in television," given that the leader in sports media has lost about 15 million subscribers in eight years due to cord-cutting. If he can right that ship — which Disney is trying to do partly through streamer ESPN+, now at 2.4 million subscribers — he may prove he can run all of Disney.

Bob Chapek, who in 2015 replaced Staggs as chairman of parks, experiences and products, also is a contender. Guggenheim Securities projects that parks and resorts alone will generate $7.4 billion in adjusted operating income in fiscal 2020, more than cable networks, broadcast TV or studio entertainment.

Mayer, meanwhile, has a steep hill to climb in order to make Disney+ a hit. Analyst Richard Greenfield of BTIG estimates Disney will sacrifice $500 million annually by saving content for Disney+ rather than licensing it to the highest bidder. And Disney's direct-to-consumer segment will lose about $900 million in the current quarter as it ramps up its new streamer, which the conglomerate hopes will attract 30 million subs by 2024.

But the Disney board — and shareholders — hope that Decision Day is (again) put off a few more years, says Schaeffler. To avoid a “tragic transition,” the board is hoping for three things: “Bob extend his stay; immediately fashion a successful identification of his heir apparent; and be given a timeframe to have the successor learn directly from Bob himself.”

Lilofan

The next CEO in Jan 2022 will probably come from the outside with an entertainment background. I'm sure there will be many critics questioning of that. When the new boss comes into town, look for a re-org of the company slowly but surely.

Mouse Trap

After finishing Iger's book I think I'm even more convinced Kevin Mayer will be the next CEO. He's stealthily been Bob Iger's right hand man and one if his most trusted advisors for over a decade. He was right with Bob on every acquisition and seemed to even more fiercely pursue things like Pixar and Marvel than Bob.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

The site which shall not be named posted an article with a title leading one to believe Eisner is interested in trying to become CEO again. As I did not want to reward what seemed like potential click-bait, I did not actually read the article.

Lilofan

The site which shall not be named posted an article with a title leading one to believe Eisner is interested in trying to become CEO again. As I did not want to reward what seemed like potential click-bait, I did not actually read the article.
And the click/bait will steal your credit card info and SS#.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Eisner is 77. The things that that site will post for clicks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom