Next Castle Park?

cheezbat

Dubai probably would have been the choice when the artwork was from but now i think its more likely that a different middle eastern location would be chosen, maybe abu dabi or Saudi Arabia
No way would they consider Saudi Arabia. It’s nowhere near as interantionally friendly as Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

That being said, I only see a 7th resort built in China before anywhere else. We’re probably 20 years away from anything like that though.

Robbiem

According to Wikipedia shanghai is 963 acres vs Disneyland Paris’s 4800 acres. I think Tokyo is about 500 acres and Hong Kong is 320 acres so there is a big difference between the resorts. Im sure i read somewhere that Shanghai has been planned for three gates (might be a rumour),Paris definitely was designed for three gates and a water park and Hong Kong is designed for two.

I guess the real question is how much of the resort is usable land and how is it planned out? With the exception of hotels Tokyo and Anaheim manage to cram almost as much as Orlando and a lot more than Paris so a properly planned resort could still pack a lot in.

lazyboy97o

According to Wikipedia shanghai is 963 acres vs Disneyland Paris’s 4800 acres. I think Tokyo is about 500 acres and Hong Kong is 320 acres so there is a big difference between the resorts. Im sure i read somewhere that Shanghai has been planned for three gates (might be a rumour),Paris definitely was designed for three gates and a water park and Hong Kong is designed for two.

I guess the real question is how much of the resort is usable land and how is it planned out? With the exception of hotels Tokyo and Anaheim manage to cram almost as much as Orlando and a lot more than Paris so a properly planned resort could still pack a lot in.
As is so often the case now, the issue is cost. Disney simply can not afford to build a “properly planned resort [and] still pack a lot in.” This is the reason that despite its obscene size and cost that there are so few attractions at Shanghai Disneyland.

ThemeParkTraveller

How much of that Shanghai number is for the actual park? I remember seeing a lot of articles quoting that specific figure to declare SDL the largest theme park in the world and comparing it to park specific figures like 85 acres for Disneyland (pre-Star Wars) and 107 acres for MK.

Robbiem

I cant believe Shanghai Disneyland is over 900 acres that would make it nearly ten times the size of magic Kingdom or four times the size of Epcot either way from what ive seen it appears to be a very underbuilt park which needs more to do

RandySavage

Comparing park sizes by acreage quoted on the internet or articles (or even officially released by Disney) is the 2nd most futile endeavor here (1st place goes to A-E ticket-rankings of attractions). Does the acreage reflect everything inside the Perimeter Road? All or part of Back of House? On-show (guest) area? Undeveloped expansion pads? Are adjacent non-park areas (e.g. DisneyTown) or resort esplanade included in the measurement? What about parking lots?

This acreage calculator via google maps typically gives a (sometimes significantly) different total than Wikipedia:
https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

If you look at this comparison, which include similar facilities, expansion pads, ect., you will see MK at 190 acres and Shanghai at 217. Even so, the Shanghai image includes almost all the park's current & future facilities, whereas significant Back of House for the MK (to the northeast) is not included. Also, all of Shanghai ticketing facility is included, whereas MK's ticketing is on the other side of Seven Seas Lagoon at the TTC. It's not easy to compare pure apples to apples among the parks re acreage.

MK Acreage.png

Shanghai Acreage.png

I've done this for Show Areas (spaces that mean the most to guests such as paths and ride/restaurant facilities, excluding back of house ) among the various parks and I believe DLP still has Shanghai slightly beat in show area.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Attraction capacity would be more meaningful than acreage which can be inflated in inconsistent ways. Although a sort of Nolli Map of the parks might be interesting to see.

Haymarket

Maybe Beijing, to compete more intensely with Universal's huge new resort there. The regional market, which arguably includes Seoul, is huge and higher-income.

OP, why Chongqing? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. Hong Kong and Shanghai already serve China's southern and central regions, I would think.

Beijing seems like the perfect major city, spread out nicely from Shanghai and Hong Kong.
aBtX0ft78U885y3aVSzdv2IkM8Z3KYSkj1JBEtULD5I-KwC1K2502E_oCQwSFiFMUsfEvueeuah5ZTpX2Q2GPvTZS1iP_KrY1G-1NgHb0XD3SzhN7Z2olsreCQhwlf7l

hlilVntizsCu1EsMmUdR1eRRVda6xqA139pQY57SlX9wwi97lfd3_-evV2C5kxhyRQE31u3XwLf_v0V9L3Ot6v9-R9V_IT-oQ9I6YLrJhpv3U4Pol3FhMOupDx4gJ2Xg

Last edited:

socaljoeyb

Original Poster
Maybe Beijing, to compete more intensely with Universal's huge new resort there. The regional market, which arguably includes Seoul, is huge and higher-income.

OP, why Chongqing? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. Hong Kong and Shanghai already serve China's southern and central regions, I would think.

Beijing seems like the perfect major city, spread out nicely from Shanghai and Hong Kong.

hlilVntizsCu1EsMmUdR1eRRVda6xqA139pQY57SlX9wwi97lfd3_-evV2C5kxhyRQE31u3XwLf_v0V9L3Ot6v9-R9V_IT-oQ9I6YLrJhpv3U4Pol3FhMOupDx4gJ2Xg
I saw an insider mention it... forgot where.

I agree Beijing is more likely depending on geopolitics.

lazyboy97o

Universal’s first choice was Shanghai. They only moved to Beijing when the city offered a better deal because they didn’t want Shanghai to have Disney and Universal.

Haymarket

Maybe Singapore, if the government is willing to provide a larger plot than the one Disney looked at on Sentosa. That might be a great Southeast Asian location, attracting Australians and monied South Asians as well.

Or a location like the Incheon Free Economic Zone near Seoul, or elsewhere in South Korea, instead of Beijing.

The Incheon Free Economic Zone might be reluctant, however, as New Songdo, the "Epcot of the 21st century" (an actual city in this case, however) is there, and a Disney park might cause undesirable commercial blight. But there are other locations, like the one Disney reportedly examined in Gwacheon (also near Seoul) in 2006. Might not even need to be a castle park, given Tokyo Disneyland.

6uHHwTOCIGT73Tk99tS9tevwhDmNU_iSoapzqpFSya7V7cmYU3PVC8A5LGTA2X9LRZy9FqJJsll-dL0MNMIWCzJECTvNi7kQSJl0ptfx7vo

Last edited:

Robbiem

The Shanghai Disney Resort as a whole is 963 acres. Shanghai Disneyland Park itself is 225 acres.

thanks. Its hard to find out these stats for some reason sounds like Shanghai is Epcot sized. I’m guess the resort was designed with space for up to three parks and additional facilities (shopping, hotels etc) similar to the original plans for euro Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom