Next Castle Park?

socaljoeyb

Original Poster
With the success in Shanghai, Disney may want to expand again, especially in Asia? What are the likely cities?

Beijing, Chongqing?

IMDREW

I think they’ll first build that 2nd gate for Shanghai. :)

After that I really don’t know. Don’t think Hong Kong can handle a second Disney resort competitor in China. So I guess they want to fix HK and get it healthy begore starting a new resort.

Robbiem

I definitely think we’ll see second gates in Hong Kong and shanghai before we see another castle park in China. I suspect the next places where disney could build a new resort would be India or possibly the middle east, although the latter would draw visitors from Europe so might hurt DLP

Old Mouseketeer

Asia does make sense but I really want them to make that Middle East park with the leaked (real or fake) concept art. It looks so cool!
dubaiparkoverview.jpg

Hmmm. It's more realistic than the Toronto DL April Fool's joke. It's really compacted. Not sure what's in or behind the castle--almost looks like a hotel. Fantasyland seems to replace Main St. I see a huge Star Wars presence across the entire right side and Pixar center left. I'm inclined to think fan art, but really well executed.

GiveMeTheMusic

Dubai is not a consideration. The theme park market there, once thought to be so promising in say 2007, has turned out to be a bust. Dubai Disneyland is not a thing.

As China continues to grow, demand will necessitate a third resort there. We're a long ways off from that, but as long as China continues to boom economically and grow the world's largest middle class, Disney will not be able to resist the money on the table. We'll see second gates at SDL and HKDL first though.

I have a hard time imagining that we'll see a new castle park in the 2020s, but never say never. 1983 - TDL, 1992 - DLP, 2005 - HKDL, 2016 - SDL - there's been a new one every decade since the 80s.

RandySavage

Not officially Disney, though created by designers who sometimes work with Disney. The Key Art looks like Greg Pro, who does most of Disney's flashy birdseyes of late. My understanding is an interest/developer that wanted to woo Disney to build a Dubai Disneyland hired a LA design shop to conceptualize the project as part of their pitch.

Timothy_Q

Not officially Disney, though created by designers who sometimes work with Disney. The Key Art looks like Greg Pro, who does most of Disney's flashy birdseyes of late. My understanding is an interest/developer that wanted to woo Disney to build a Dubai Disneyland hired a LA design shop to conceptualize the project as part of their pitch.
Thanks for the info!

IMDREW

When Shanghai builds its second and third park I think they'll also get the Disney Skyliner there to connect everything.

disneyC97

Dubai is not a consideration. The theme park market there, once thought to be so promising in say 2007, has turned out to be a bust. Dubai Disneyland is not a thing.

As China continues to grow, demand will necessitate a third resort there. We're a long ways off from that, but as long as China continues to boom economically and grow the world's largest middle class, Disney will not be able to resist the money on the table. We'll see second gates at SDL and HKDL first though.

I have a hard time imagining that we'll see a new castle park in the 2020s, but never say never. 1983 - TDL, 1992 - DLP, 2005 - HKDL, 2016 - SDL - there's been a new one every decade since the 80s.
Since the 70s 😉

winstongator

Asia does make sense but I really want them to make that Middle East park with the leaked (real or fake) concept art. It looks so cool!
dubaiparkoverview.jpg
How big is the middle to upper-middle class in the Middle East? Egypt has a lower per-capita GDP than China, Iraq is about level, and Iran is slightly higher. Turkey has about 60% higher GDP/person so that would be the biggest market, but would they rather go to the MidEast for a park or Paris? And we complain about Florida's weather in the summer? Dubai is 50% further away than Paris from Istanbul. Just looking at the population of many of the richest MidEast countries is misleading because of the large number of low-income foreign workers they have. The total population of the MidEast is 1/3 China's.

Quick reading on DubaiWorld shows how problematic this could be. Also, they've got a Marvel World in the IMG Worlds of Adventure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_Worlds_of_Adventure - I think it was signed before Disney bought Marvel.

the.dreamfinder

Didn’t they mock up Glacier Bay for HKDL?

EPCOTCenterLover

Google! I found it maybe 1 or 2 years ago. I posted about it but it prob got lost somewhere. Here's all the concept art for it in one link. It looks so amazing I wish they would build it.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-concept-for-disneyland-dubai.html
Actually, I was the one who first found the artwork, and I posted it on my blog on July 2, 2014. (Revised July 10- It was actually in June.) The next day, I received a phone call from the studios that produced it as a pitch to be used for Disney. ( Favilli Studios). My friend Alain from Disney and More reposted the art later. Look up “insights and sounds.blogspot.com” with no spaces and search “Dubai”. There’s also a follow up post, “Yes, It Was Me”, further detailing what transpired.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Not envisioning SHDR as a WDW style resort was a short sighted mistake.

Additionally, this third, or is it second 🤔, resort talk makes lots of assumptions about an unending growth of the Chinese middle class continuing to inner China. The wealth is concentrated in the coastal cities and that’s unlikely to change.

This is Disneyland Texas level talk guys.

Robbiem

I was browsing the internet after I’d heard a rumor about a castle park in the Middle East. Dubai was an obvious place to begin.

Dubai probably would have been the choice when the artwork was from but now i think its more likely that a different middle eastern location would be chosen, maybe abu dabi or Saudi Arabia

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom