News, or maybe just observations?

MaxsDad

Original Poster
I just got back from a week of resort and park hopping. These items may not be “news” anymore, as I have been unable to read these boards as much as I would like lately, but I am sure it will be news to some folks.
Pop Century
I regret to say that the once usually broken Icee machines in the food court have now disappeared completely. And in their place they have been replaced with …. Tea machines of some type. The Icee machines set this resort apart, and their presence, personally, made the $13 refillable mug worth the price. Even though they were down a good bit before, not having them at all hurts.

AKL
The Mara is using a new process for ordering that I had not heard about before. Guests go through a line to a cast member standing in front of the service counter, but behind some ropes. You give them your order, they write it down on carbon paper, and send one copy to the food prep people behind the counter. You get the other copy and a beeper. Then you can get your cold items, pay for your entire meal, or go get a table. In the meantime, they fix your entrée order and beep you when it is ready. It went pretty well.

Sidenote: Is it just me, or has the recipe for Zebra Domes changed since 2006? I seem to remember the coloring being darker on the inside(it is now the color of peanut butter), and I don’t remember the cake-ish base(I remember it being more of a cream or a mousse).

I explored Kidani, ate at Sanaa, and swan at the pool. Kidani’s feel is smaller. The Lobby is beautiful, and has the same feel, but it is much smaller. The size of the pool is noticeably smaller too. Of course, its number of rooms is smaller also, so its needs are as well. The rooms themselves are bigger. I have stayed in a 1 BR at Jambo, and you can tell a difference in the 1 BR in Kidani. It is definitely wider in the LR. Back to the pool, it was quite fun, in spite of its smaller area. The play area is fantastic. The slide is far superior to Uzima Springs. It is in the ball park of the slide at Boardwalk in terms of speed, length, and curves. The pool side bar is not accepting the DDP, but the menu looked good. I would prefer Kidani over Jambo as a DVC member if I had younger kids in my party. The pool’s smaller size is an advantage for them, so is the play area, and superior slide. Very family friendly. Sanaa was a great experience. We ate at lunch, and it was nearly empty. I don’t expect it to stay this way when word gets out. Food was off the beaten path and a nice break from “Disney” Food. Quality was great, but service was even better. This restaurant offers Animal viewing from your table, as no other does on property. We had Zebras and Giraffe’s eating along with us, right outside the window beside our table. Even though I stayed at AKL for 5 nights, this was the best Animal viewing experienceI had all week! It is real cool.

Crowd levels were light. The unofficial guide had been revised recently to change the crowd level indicators from 5 and 6 to 8 and 9. The original was much more accurate. For instance, Soarin was only 45 minutes at 1 PM, with FP available. TSM had FP available after lunch still. BTMR was a walk on on a Saturday at dusk.

Speaking of BTMR, I read some posts in the past about “smacking the possum”. It appears the possums are now mechanically rotating around the branch constantly.

I was glad to see the angler fish working again at The Seas. It had most of last year off.

Some of the Bill McKim video screens in TT were missing early in the week, and were replaced with mere speakers. At the end of the week, they were back in though.

That’s all that’s coming to me now.

DisneyPrincess5

I love how you say Soarin was only a 45 minute wait! :lol: Seems like it's always 60 or 120.

Glad to hear the fish is working again at Nemo (even though he does freak me out)...he didn't work when we were there.

Thanks for the update!

DisneyLeo18

is Soarin' usually a long wait? I didnt go on it the first few visits because the sign said 70-100 minutes every time, but on my most recent visit the sign said 60 minutes and i walked right on. Just luck?:shrug:

wild01ride

Great account of Kidani Village! You walked me right through in my mind.
I can't wait to see it in person!

Great summary, thanks!

DisneyPirate85

Thanks for the TR, I made our Christmas Ressies today for Kidani Sav View 12/20-12/24. MS advised there were and I quote "Loads" of Studio's (standard and view) still for Dec. Shawn:wave:

MaxsDad

Original Poster
Leo - That particular instance was lucky. However, the way the ride loads about 90 people at a time, the sign can often err on the side of too long a wait. Usually, the wait is over 45 mins. I have been in the middle of the "herd" at rope drop drop, and been "corralled" straight into the line, and it still took us 20 minutes to get to the safety speil. If the end of the stand by line is in front of the fifth video screen or shorter, I consider that a good wait, and will stick it out. Of course, I am easily entertained!

Beyond - Congrats on your time there! I took 3 trips in 2008(june, aug, dec), and I don't remember it ever working. Nice to hear it has been functioning proper for an extended time!

Memories - It's hard to get excited (or your kids for that matter) about tea, isn't it? I can associate icees with pop culture, but tea?

Pirate - The Sav. views there are great. I think it helps sales if they keep animals on that Sav., so they do what they can to do that. Can you imagine if a DVC rep took a guest out there, and there were no animals on the Sav.? Anyway, I stayed in Jambo about that time last year, and it was great! The cast member service I expereienced in my "visits" to Kidani was wonderful too.

OANDJ_DVC

Kidani Village

We had the pleasure of staying in a 2BR at Kidani May 3-10 and it ROCKED. While it is true that everything is scaled down in size compared to Jambo it doesn't feel that way.

The pool has got to be the best non-main pool I have seen at a resort anywhere. The slide is awesome and the kids play area has more fun than most main pools.

They have a great community hall with pool tables, board games, video games (Xbox 360, PS3), foozeball. The arcade is brand new with all games in great shape.

They have some basketball and tennis courts as well as shuffleboard.

The rooms are VERY large.

Some things we wish were better: The menu at the pool bar was good but in order to get full counter service you have to go to Jambo (which when you are by the pool is a far from convenient as east is from west.) Though it may be tough to justify full counter services at Jambo it would be a good compromise to serve hot as well as cold dishes by the pool.

Signage - there are a ton of ways to get from one's room to either the pool, busses, Sanaa or the lobby. It could have been better but after the week we had it pretty much figured out.

Finally, the landscaping is only partially complete. From our room we could see a large area that is not complete which took a little away from the magic. I suppose this will come with time.

All in all Kidani is WONDERFUL and I highly recommend it!

Shimmer73083

Icee Machines

Are the Icee Machines still "missing" from Pop Century? I just tried to call the resort and they transferred me to someone rude in merchandising...:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom