Newest ride, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ride, does nothing but break down.

Goofyernmost

Indeed. It opened too early. The first few months were sheer hell.

Then just as it found its mojo it got shoved too far one night...

Although it is far, far more complex an attraction than the dwarf coaster.
A roller coaster with varying speeds during it's run doesn't strike me as less the quite high tech as far as coasters go. It certainly isn't gravity run through parts of it. Also, I'd bet that the biggest problem might me coming from the mine scene with AA's and projections.

Everyone wanted them to stop a ride if the elements were not working properly, now we see what happens when they do that.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Sorry but I have to say something after all these years on this board....My gosh why always going after as an example above @Goofyernmost or others on here for purely an opinion? He's not saying it as if it's fact. I certainly did not take it that way and thought there was some valid points. I don't always agree with him but I respect his opinions.
Also Saying everyone does not actually always technically really mean "everyone" when someone is just giving an opinion and general statement. Lots of folks do that when talking about something. Maybe he does not always word it "perfectly" but who ever does on these boards.
Lots of people in here to this day still complain about the yeti on EE not working properly/need to shut down to fix etc as an example so as to where he is getting "everyone" I'm assuming.
I'm getting my popcorn ready just in case! :)

P.S. I'm not getting sucked into this one as I was only making an observation so don't expect anymore comments on this thread unless I'm talking about the actual thread the OP started about 7DMT. :)

Last edited:

blueboxdoctor

No issue when I was there. The ride itself was decent, but I couldn't imagine waiting in that line and having it break down/shut down on you (we had it fast pass so luckily I never had to wait in the line). But maybe I just got on it at lucky times, hopefully they continue to work out the issues and get it going more consistently as time goes on. Though, I'd imagine being evacuated from it has to be pretty cool (I have always wanted to be evacuated off of Splash Mountain, had to on TTA but it was at the part right before you get to Space Mountain so it was an uneventful walk down an outside stair case, though I have seen Space Mountain broken down with all the lights on inside, that was pretty cool).

sxeensweet

Yes that can be annoying @blueboxdoctor as we have had a FP for TT but it still took a little while of waiting and then right as we loaded the ride in the vehicle and was next to take off the ride shut down and we sat there quite a while before they realized we had to evacuate because they had to shut it down. That happened on our last trip fall 2014. No big deal we got a pass to come back any time once it was back up . :)

Goofyernmost

You say that as if it's fact. Is it?
No, it's not a fact, it is like practically everything else on the boards a broad fabrication based on possibilities. Whatever the reason, it isn't working and it is being blamed, again, on on-going problems that have no basis of fact either. It might be, or it might be rain or it might be a new problem or it might be almost anything, but, it is no more fact to assume it is an on-going technological problem then any other type. If it is, then they have stopped the ride and not allowed people to ride it when not working properly. Wouldn't that be considered "good" show?

If you are referring to the idea that this is a prime example of someone complaining that it is not working properly and every one taking a turn at deciding that it isn't reasonable to decide not to run a ride for multiple different reason and not all bad. Well, that does appear to be fact.

Sorry but I have to say something after all these years on this board....My gosh why always going after as an example above @Goofyernmost or others on here for purely an opinion? He's not saying it as if it's fact. I certainly did not take it that way and thought there was some valid points. I don't always agree with him but I respect his opinions.
Also Saying everyone does not actually always technically really mean "everyone" when someone is just giving an opinion and general statement. Lots of folks do that when talking about something. Maybe he does not always word it "perfectly" but who ever does on these boards.
Lots of people in here to this day still complain about the yeti on EE not working properly/need to shut down to fix etc as an example so as to where he is getting "everyone" I'm assuming.
I'm getting my popcorn ready just in case! :)
Thanks! And it is correct. In this case I use the word "everyone" so as not to name individuals that are completely concerned about that aspect. It is an exaggeration, but, no more so then most of the things you read here. I see no need, like others do, to point fingers and run my discussion in a completely different direction. They know who they are and they are likely to be the first to question my motives. Yes, there is a reason why I go that way and it is because there are so many conflicting opinions that come from the same individuals. What those people want is for nothing to break down. Although I do see and understand that it is the desirable way to wish, it is in a world of mechanical things that break down no matter what we/they do or how much we wish it wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I completely respect Martin and all the efforts that he has put into his video's and study of all thing Disney, however, on occasion we disagree on things. Not what and how WDW was formed, but, what should be logically expected from an extremely busy, almost constantly running Theme Park.

I was around in the early 80's and have been a consistent visitor for 32 years, 44 trips, I have seen the changes, I have seen the bad, but, I also have been able to see the good. I have been able to reason things out when others seem to be running on nothing but emotion. Good to have, but, in the long run not real productive. A lot of those years that all those people talk about as being the golden age of WDW have had a lot of instances of less then stellar conditions and attractions with problems. Many people don't want to accept that or understand why changes have to happen, some good, some bad, but, there is always a reason for that change and it is not always poor management. Some are just reasons that we have not been made privy too.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

No, it's not a fact, it is like practically everything else on the boards a broad fabrication based on possibilities. Whatever the reason, it isn't working and it is being blamed, again, on on-going problems that have no basis of fact either. It might be, or it might be rain or it might be a new problem or it might be almost anything, but, it is no more fact to assume it is an on-going technological problem then any other type. If it is, then they have stopped the ride and not allowed people to ride it when not working properly. Wouldn't that be considered "good" show?

If you are referring to the idea that this is a prime example of someone complaining that it is not working properly and every one taking a turn at deciding that it isn't reasonable to decide not to run a ride for multiple different reason and not all bad. Well, that does appear to be fact.

Thanks! And it is correct. In this case I use the word "everyone" so as not to name individuals that are completely concerned about that aspect. It is an exaggeration, but, no more so then most of the things you read here. I see no need, like others do, to point fingers and run my discussion in a completely different direction. They know who they are and they are likely to be the first to question my motives. Yes, there is a reason why I go that way and it is because there are so many conflicting opinions that come from the same individuals. What those people want is for nothing to break down. Although I do see and understand that it is the desirable way to wish, it is in a world of mechanical things that break down no matter what we/they do or how much we wish it wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I completely respect Martin and all the efforts that he has put into his video's and study of all thing Disney, however, on occasion we disagree on things. Not what and how WDW was formed, but, what should be logically expected from an extremely busy, almost constantly running Theme Park.

I was around in the early 80's and have been a consistent visitor for 32 years, 44 trips, I have seen the changes, I have seen the bad, but, I also have been able to see the good. I have been able to reason things out when others seem to be running on nothing but emotion. Good to have, but, in the long run not real productive. A lot of those years that all those people talk about as being the golden age of WDW have had a lot of instances of less then stellar conditions and attractions with problems. Many people don't want to accept that or understand why changes have to happen, some good, some bad, but, there is always a reason for that change and it is not always poor management. Some is, some are just reasons that we have not been made privy too.
Your welcome and well put. :)
Oh wait I said I would not post again to what I observed and stick to the thread. Watch out they will point that out to me I'm sure. Haha :)

Mouse_Trap

The more complex attractions get, the more potential problems there are. I don't think that Gringotts has a good track record either.

True. Good job 7DMT isn't that complex then, thus by the same reasoning it would hardly ever be open.

If they can't get a kiddie coaster with 1 show scene right, good job they aren't attempting more complex attractions with multiple show scenes, inversions, fast launches etc.
Let's not mention all the temperamental or broken effects on EE :(

sxeensweet

True. Good job 7DMT isn't that complex then, thus by the same reasoning it would hardly ever be open.

If they can't get a kiddie coaster with 1 show scene right, good job they aren't attempting more complex attractions with multiple show scenes, inversions, fast launches etc.
Just to point out if you ever watched how 7DMT was made there is a lot more to it than meets the eye with new technologies etc like the swinging mine car you ride in and the scene that you venture through. Believe it or not they were the first to come up with something like that the certain motion. (Yes other coasters swing but they have some patented thing with the motion itself). The video explains that part of it. So It may seem short and simple but a lot goes into it to keep it running smoothly and safely than people think. I don't have that video to post myself but someone might on here. :)

Goofyernmost

Just one question, since we are talking about "fact", what does what you said even mean? If it is an implication that it is always broken down, where is that information coming from? It's always been operating when I have been there. Ergo... it isn't always broke down regardless of it's degree of complexity. P.S. if it's a kiddie coaster, so is BTMR.

Mouse_Trap

Who says we were talking facts? I was responding to the title of this thread and its first response.....i.e. that the OP said they found it was down a lot and the 1st response that we should expect complex rides to break down more often than simple rides.

I am just making the point that 7DMT is not a very complicated ride. It is also very short, but is quite nicely themed. It could have been so much more.
P.S. I would agree that BTMR is of a kiddie coaster ride standard - it's hardly a white knuckle thrill ride. However, it's length and level of theming throughout is excellent.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Who says we were talking facts? I was responding to the title of this thread and its first response.....i.e. that the OP said they found it was down a lot and the 1st response that we should expect complex rides to break down more often than simple rides.

I am just making the point that 7DMT is not a very complicated ride. It is also very short, but is quite nicely themed. It could have been so much more.
P.S. I would agree that BTMR is of a kiddie coaster ride standard - it's hardly a white knuckle thrill ride. However, it's length and level of theming throughout is excellent.
To note, I didn't say we should expect it to be down more. I said it had more potential places for issues. There are many complex rides that have a good track record of operation. There are many simple rides that have a bad track record as well. Forbidden Journey seems to have a good track record. Gringotts didn't have the same (last I followed there were still parts of scenes that were broken more than they were working, but I've admittedly not followed it closely lately).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you are referring to the idea that this is a prime example of someone complaining that it is not working properly and every one taking a turn at deciding that it isn't reasonable...
No, I wasn't. But I think you knew that. :)

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

There's a big difference between 'breaking down' and 'being closed for safety reasons'. Disney is insanely paranoid about the safety of its rides, way more so than the average park. The slightest burble out of whack and they'll shut the whole thing down until it's perfect. Hell, Rock & Roller Coaster goes down if you burp in the wrong area.

This is one of many reasons rides close, there were reports the Matterhorn was closed for over an hour on it's re-opening day (with 90 min line) because someone wouldn't put away a selfie stick. As a result the ride was stopped, evacuated, and had to go through reopening procedures. No matter how complicated or simple a ride is some things are just out of their control. Disney has no excuse for allowing a ride like Pirates to fall into well known and documented disrepair but a ride being down a few times during a trip is purely anecdotal and doesn't really mean much. I can even forgive certain broken elements being overlooked until the next yearly refurb to avoid closing a popular attraction but when they allow it to go on for years there is no excuse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom