New Year at Magic Kingdom

Graham9

Original Poster
I have just been watching some vids of the New Year at Magic Kingdom. I couldn't be there myself what with all the Covid going around. But I noticed that WDW did absolutely nothing to mark the occasion. At the moment on 2021, there were no announcements, no light displays, no characters over the PA, no fireworks or anything. Basically, there was nothing, apart from those standing around for something to happen, who counted down the seconds and cheered at the stroke of 12. A few minutes later came the announcement saying the park is closed and asking everyone to leave.
I just found it weird that it was a complete non-event in comparison when I was there a few years ago, when WDW pulled out all the stops and had more fireworks and everything to celebrate the new year. I know there can't be the crowds, but given all the problems we are having at the moment, would it have hurt to do "something" for New Year's? Had I managed to be there this year, I think I would have been extremely disappointed in what was a total non-event. Given that, I was glad I wasn't there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have just been watching some vids of the New Year at Magic Kingdom. I couldn't be there myself what with all the Covid going around. But I noticed that WDW did absolutely nothing to mark the occasion. At the moment on 2021, there were no announcements, no light displays, no characters over the PA, no fireworks or anything. Basically, there was nothing, apart from those standing around for something to happen, who counted down the seconds and cheered at the stroke of 12. A few minutes later came the announcement saying the park is closed and asking everyone to leave.
I just found it weird that it was a complete non-event in comparison when I was there a few years ago, when WDW pulled out all the stops and had more fireworks and everything to celebrate the new year. I know there can't be the crowds, but given all the problems we are having at the moment, would it have hurt to do "something" for New Year's? Had I managed to be there this year, I think I would have been extremely disappointed in what was a total non-event. Given that, I was glad I wasn't there.
Beforehand we were told there would be nothing to mark the occasion. So no need to be disappointed. Blame a worldwide pandemic.

Chef Mickey

It’s mostly just a PR move to promote the no gathering message. And it cut costs.

Agree, it’s pretty lame, but they do what they have to do to remain open at least partially.

I will say, there are still plenty of “OMG COVID” situations at Disney, but they have to at least appear very serious. They should be more serious on things like the Test Track queue, some dining situations, and policing queues in general.

Chef Mickey

While I am sure guests would have liked something I'm also sure the CM's were thinking "just go home people, the park closed an hour ago, please don't make me push you out."
Understandable from both sides though, right?

Cast members want to go home and they deserve to...but management set this up. If you really want people out, just close all parks at 9.

However, Magic Kingdom was open until 11pm on New Years Eve. Guests who travelled all the way to Disney might as well stay in the park until officially 12 rather than spending their New Years moment at the bus stop. I would have definitely waited around just to be there. I don’t care if there is an event or not.

Poseidon Quest

They don't want people to gather so they gave them nothing to gather for

And yet the cavalcades continue. People gather to see Liverlips wave at you from a balcony. The hub is shoulder to shoulder for light projections on the castle.

I'm not confident that Disney cares other than appearances.

Sctble

And yet the cavalcades continue. People gather to see Liverlips wave at you from a balcony. The hub is shoulder to shoulder for light projections on the castle.
If people are foolish enough to clump together in gatherings at this stage of a pandemic, they either have been living under a rock or have the brains of a rock. Disney has to offer some form of live entertainment to make-up for what's been lost, so why not have "shows" like these where people can enjoy without mandatory gathering in crowds?

All of the examples you listed can be viewed without clumping together, whereas a major NYE spectacle would inevitably cause crowding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom