New Walt Disney World Entrance Sign/NEW MK DVD

VacationMan

Okay... How'd you get the Fantastic Picture of Wendy? 35mm or digital? If 35mm... Film speed and Exposure (If You know).

I simply have got to know.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Originally posted by General Grizz
In the entrance (at least to 67 - EPCOT/DTD), the righthand "character space" has been replaced by a new MAGICAL GATHERINGS light up sign. Donald and Mickey remain in the other two slots.

I saw that last night going into DTD through the Hotel Plaza Blvd. entrance. I like the falling stars effect, but I hate the whole sign (Magical Gatherings....so tired of seeing and hearing those dreaded words....). Goofy used to be there, right? I can't seem to remember.

Thanks for giving info on that DVD Grizz, I knew I should have gone into that store last night! :brick: :lol:

SpyDis

I'm not positive but I think Wonders of Life is closed.

The Peter Pan elements are a combination of high definition video and 35mm film. I'll bet shooting the dark rides is quite a challenge due to constant updates, park hours and WDI specs.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Wonders of Life is currently closed, but probably was open when filming took place (assuming it already has been).

Most of the Pan comes from prior footage takes. . .

. . .and Minnie was the character replaced, I believe.

yensid63

I just ordered a copy of the dvd from main st. megastore.
i can't wait to receive it. it seems to have alot of great extras.
but, why would it leave out some attractions , and not add Philharmagic or Wishes? :veryconfu oh well.

SpyDis

There's an unavoidable leapfrog effect with a project like this. After shooting, there's a period of editing and DVD authoring. New shows in the park can show up then and not make it into the latest version. I would also imagine that if certain attractions where going to be rehabed and changed, they may not include them.

What is the best why to handle this? How much would a product like this have to change before it was worth buying again if they kept updating every time an attraction changed?

It should be worth noting that although Small World is closed, the video is all new for that attraction in the DVD.

General Grizz

Original Poster
There's a disclaimer describing how some attractions may not be operating during a guests stay, etc. Also, CoP and TK (seasonal attractions) are not listed. . . nor is Tiki Room (OOOH. . . :lookaroun ). . .or Pooh (lawsuit? :lol: ). *shrug*

And Main Street Megastore sells it for about 15 bucks over the store price. Eek.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Sure is! It's a great shot of the three heads talking - VERY official.

I wish I had that camera and lighting to film the show. Any suggestions with a DVC, anyone??

dxwwf3

Nice pics there Grizz. I've got a couple of questions though. Does this DVD show the complete attraction or does it just show the highlights? And about how long is the feature? Thanks alot.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Mere highlights. The main film is approx. 30 minutes, but there are also some great bonus features (setting an option where one can virtually ride a Main Street trolley, the Liberty Belle, or the Walt Disney World Railroad).

However, it's EXTREMELY comprehensive.

Djali999

just got the new DVD on Sunday -- it's a pretty good purchase, if a teeny bit dissapointing in some areas.

it's clear that it was probably pretty underfunded, with a lot more enthusiasm than money. the camera crew places their lenses in some pretty cool places (including a straight-down shot from the treehouse). the same old narration from the 1991 "A Day At The Magic Kingdom", a somewhat classier production, is used but the video makes up for these cost-cutting proceedures by including some beautiful footage of, among other things, Main Street and Fronteirland.

the big misstep is to not use ANY source music except for Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan. this was well within their ability to use and widely available just about everywhere.

'missing' attractions are Philharmagic (some footage at the start of Peter Pan shows the construction walls still up), Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey and Minnie's houses (but covered in the bonus material), Alien, Carousel and Buzz Lightyear.

some of these choices are kind of odd. in all likelihood the video had a maximum run time of 30 minutes and they had to sacrifice some coverage of the Fantasyland dark rides and stick to the really iconographic stuff like Dumbo. it's refreshing to see slighted attractions like the Treehouse and the TTA recieving so much attention; the producers really apprechiate the smaller things that make up the spirit of the Magic Kingdom. just look at the exciting (honestly) montage of Frontierland's facades!

being a heavy-duty Mansion fan, I was somewhat irked that they used very little new footage (they actually possibly shot some but it turned out too dark). instead they used the stock footage from the 1969 Osmonds special (which is looking pretty bad these days) and squashed it to fill the 1.85:1 frame.

(a quick explaination here: the Osmonds stuff was shot in 1.33:1, or the shape of a standard television screen. the DVD is in 1.85:1 widescreen, but rather than crop off the top and bottom of the picture and not sacrifice the original geomentry of the image, they digitally squished it down, so everything is badly out of proportion.)

the characters featured in the film are great performers: watch how creepily exacting Minnie waves at Mickey near the start. wow.

the extras are great: try putting on the "trivia track" (in which "carousel" is misspelled, by the way) and the "Disney Details" branching option at the same time.

it's a very well done DVD; I know I'm getting the other parks when they arrive. =)

General Grizz

Original Poster
I agree. . . although I find that the characters can get somewhat annoying. Daisy is the worst of all. . . but Minnie gets pretty exaggerated.

Oh. And Goofy's Dancing Jamboree isn't featured. No big loss there. . . :zipit:

But I didn't expect the music to be correct (when have they EVER used the correct music since 1985? :lol: ) - although, I agree, the correct music SHOULD have been used. (Anyone know a way to go from DVD -> Computer? I could add the music myself! :D )

Djali999

Originally posted by General Grizz
I agree. . . although I find that the characters can get somewhat annoying. Daisy is the worst of all. . . but Minnie gets pretty exaggerated.

she's worst on Dumbo, where she does nothing but squeal and say "oh my!" and giggle. Daisy is forgivable for no reason than that she's standing near Donald, who in the Space Mt. segment wears a costume which is the height of absurdity.

the character angle kind of annoyed me at first (Goofy on the Barnstormer is kind of weirdly hilarious -- and not to mention that the footage is in real time :animwink: ), but I've since warmed to it. it offers a lot of interesting possibilites that the "family vacation" angle doesn't - like the extraordinary "before opening" curtain raiser - and sidesteps any possible problems regarding a diverse target audience represented as any one group.

I'm still not ditching my copy of "A Day in the Magic Kingdom" -- it's even more interesting today as it includes, among other things, 20,000 Leagues and the Skyway.

General Grizz

Original Poster
. . . I need to go back and count the amount of times Minnie giggles, "Oh my!"

And you gotta love Mickey's seizure-laugh when the park opens. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom