new value resort??

hardrockr04

Original Poster
hey everyone..im new to this forum and i got a question..i was in wdw last week and we stayed in the pop century resort...well i was on that generation gap pier/bridge and i saw a new building like to the right...it was exactly like the all star and pop centruy building...like the back on the check in building, where the gift shop and food court is..the back of the building had 00 10 20 30 40, like the back of the pop centruy buliding, with 50 60 70 80 90..and i was curious if that was a new value resort coming in...and also beside it is a new hotel building, plain, but the same looking as the all star and pop cent. hotel buildings are...i was wondering if ne one knows wat that is, or wat it will be called and wat not...if that doenst make sense..then i will retype it, just let me know..im just trying to get all this from memory...thanks...

paul436

Legendary Years

What you saw was Phase II of Pop Century. The part that is open now is the Classic Years (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's). On the other side of Generation Gap Bridge will be the new buildings you saw (00's, 10's, 20's, 30's, 40's). I'm not sure about the expected time frame to open but from what I've read on these boards work is progressing slowly.

StevenT

paul436 said:
What you saw was Phase II of Pop Century. The part that is open now is the Classic Years (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's). On the other side of Generation Gap Bridge will be the new buildings you saw (00's, 10's, 20's, 30's, 40's). I'm not sure about the expected time frame to open but from what I've read on these boards work is progressing slowly.
Yep you pretty much summed it up. What is the newest section going to be called though? I'm thinking the "Golden Years" but I don't know for sure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep. Unfortunately 9/11 and the tourist downturn after it mothballed the entire resort. Phase 1 opened much later than planned, when tourism started to recover, phase 2 is still on hold. Its ready (some buildings are weatherproof, others have the foundations ready (look just above the bridge in this pic)

Attachments

• pop century 1.jpg
    pop century 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 493

MartyMouse

00, 10, 20, 30. 40 ????? :veryconfu
How can that be considered POP???
As far as I understand it Pop culture started with TV the Beetles and Elvis. When I think of the turn of the century – I think Main Street not POP.

Woody13

MartyMouse said:
As far as I understand it Pop culture started with TV the Beetles and Elvis. When I think of the turn of the century – I think Main Street not POP.
Mickey Mouse was never part of the pop culture until the 1950's?

evilchild666

pop is just short for popular culture and most likely things were popular back then. ;) since the resort is called the pop century resort, they are just going through all of the things that were popular during each decade of the 1900s. hope this sheds some light on the topic.

ead79

Has anyone heard any rumors about the projected opening date of the Legendary Years? I enjoyed my stay at Pop, and would love to stay there again to check out the Legendary Years section.

StevenT

I'd imagine we are many years away from the Legendary Years opening. It doesn't look like they are doing any work on it at all.

AEfx

MartyMouse said:

Shakespere could have been considered "popular culture" in it's time - attending his plays was how the lower-classes spent a day, cheaply, en masse. The plays were popular enough to serve as reference points among the masses, which is really what popular culture is : a common index of icons shared between a community/culture.

The confusion comes from the Pop Art movement of the 60's (think Warhol) and the begining of the post-modern media, and the seperate proliferation of mass-produced media (newspapers and such) in the last 150 years or so.

I believe you are thinking about "pop music", which again is sort of a misnomer - Sinatra and the Swing were considered "pop" as opposed to traditional "standards" or "classics" (though some pop became both later), but the popularization of Rock and Roll (and it's commodification into "bubblegum pop") did begin where you cite.

So it really depends on what definition you subscribe to - in the case of "Pop Century", I believe they are simply refering to the 1900's as the first complete century where our current idea of popular culture existed. I think it's pretty valid.

AEfx

Captain Hank

I'd imagine we are many years away from the Legendary Years opening. It doesn't look like they are doing any work on it at all.

But in the meantime, the unfinished buildings are a shining example of REALLY BAD SHOW! :fork: I know that they can't hide a whole building, and I know that they weren't expecting the downturn in the economy when they started construction, but could they at least paint the buildings some color? Perhaps they could plant a few very large trees? The way the buildings look now is just...creepy. :lookaroun

Does anyone else think this?

StevenT

They should paint them, but then they'd have to re-paint them when it's finished (which wouldn't be too big of a deal I suppose). They do have tall potted plants restricting access, and view from the Generation Gap Bridge. I think they need more by the lake though, to restrict the view from ground level all over the Classic Years property. It'll be impossible to block the view from the 4th floor though.

surfsupdon

That water in the upper right hand side of the Pop Century picture.....is that Barefoot Bay of Caribbean Beach??

I know that Pop seemed to be built unneccessarily close to CBR and a lot of their icons were visible from within the CBR. Also, when I went running on one of the service vehicle only roads, I took a road that lead right to a back entrance to Pop. There were signs that said DO NOT ENTER, but no barricade. I thought I could at least run through but I saw small security cameras so I decided against it.

My point is that the buildings are close--but are they close enough that the body of water in the upper right hand corner is Barefoot Bay, across from Trinidad South??

disneybeavs

I know this aint true, but I was really hoping that the new resort would reflect the future years. The early 1900s just don't seem exciting...I may be wrong and it will be awesome, most likely will be, but I just think that that time period gives limited options. Does anyone agree?

raven

disneybeavs said:
I know this aint true, but I was really hoping that the new resort would reflect the future years.

One problem: we don't know what the future holds. Disney tried that with the old Tomorrowland and THAT future never came around. It's a cool concept but they would be having to change the decor constantly.

The Legendary Years isn't so bad. I think that once it's built, you will see how cool it will be. You can trust Disney Imagineering to be nothing less than awesome! :animwink:

StevenT

disneybeavs said:
I know this aint true, but I was really hoping that the new resort would reflect the future years. The early 1900s just don't seem exciting...I may be wrong and it will be awesome, most likely will be, but I just think that that time period gives limited options. Does anyone agree?
While that is a neat idea, the numbers on the front of the Legendary Years building tell all. I do think that the older years will make for a neat resort. I am anxious to see the 20's building. What will the centerpeice building be? (ie 60's is to classic years as _____ is to legendary years).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom