NEW VACCINE FROM MODERNA READY IN FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER OR SOONER!!

ToTBellHop

How they work is being seen. The efficacy and side effects data is coming from incredibly large scale human trials over a minimum of two months. Earlier, smaller scale trials are able to provide more data.
Yes, and by the time most of us a realistically offering up our arms, we will have 6 months of data. The vast majority of side-effects occur within that time (when the body is actually responding to the vaccine). I would hope people will get shots once it becomes clear that we could actually get back to normal next summer.

Heppenheimer

Yes, and by the time most of us a realistically offering up our arms, we will have 6 months of data. The vast majority of side-effects occur within that time (when the body is actually responding to the vaccine). I would hope people will get shots once it becomes clear that we could actually get back to normal next summer.
It might help too that the majority of the people administering the vaccine to the general public will have already received it. By that time, anywhere from 6 to 10 million people will be vaccinated, and since the worrisome side effects of most vaccines are numbered in 1 out of every 1-10 million jabs, this should provide more than an ample sample size to tease out all the nuances of the vaccine.

spock8113

Here we go again, all "feel good" proposals with little consideration on reality.
We are in month 10 of a pandemic that "feel good" mentalities have extended thus far.
It's interesting how all these companies present their information to the public.
Pfizer - "Covid-19 Vaccine Is 90% Effective, Although Trials Are Ongoing - Nov 9, 2020, 10:22am EST

8 days later:

Moderna - initial Phase 3 data shows its COVID-19 vaccine is up to 94.5% effective 11/17/2020

then the very next day, suddenly,

Pfizer reports final vaccine results: 95% efficacy 11/18/2020, 9:56 AM​

then five days later:

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine shows an average 70% effectiveness in preventing the virus NOV 23 2020

The experts have yet to see the data and study reports. Right now it's just advertising and pushing the brands.
Again, just because you say the moon is made out of cheese doesn't mean it is as Buzz Aldrin will tell you.
Tangible vaccine distribution and effects are months away and I will remain skeptical until an impartial group of doctors and scientists say that the data is real. And even then, the rush hasn't brought side effects to light.

Not an anti-vaxer because I got the polio sugar cube and got the small pox vaccination along with countless others. Those were developed in a different climate where political pressure wasn't waged upon the developers. Instead it was a believable concern for human health and life.
I have no doubt these companies want to preserve humanity's health and life but the process has been tainted.

Remember in January (almost a year ago), when COVID was breaking out in China, NIH was already in the process to develop a vaccine:
"January 20, 2020 - The National Institutes of Health announces that it is working on a vaccine against the coronavirus. "The NIH is in the process of taking the first steps towards the development of a vaccine," says Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."
So why was the NIH working on a vaccine in January when the virus wasn't a concern here?

Oh please be the miracle they claim to be so we all can get back to life as normal rather than this "28 Days Later" "Groundhog Day" existence.
I do have hope but I think the timelines are now being rushed as well.

lazyboy97o

The experts have yet to see the data and study reports. Right now it's just advertising and pushing the brands.
Again, just because you say the moon is made out of cheese doesn't mean it is as Buzz Aldrin will tell you.
Tangible vaccine distribution and effects are months away and I will remain skeptical until an impartial group of doctors and scientists say that the data is real. And even then, the rush hasn't brought side effects to light.
This just isn’t true. The efficacy data comes from independent reviewers and side effects are being reported now and will be know by the time the trials are completed. Phased distribution will provided further data on side effects.
I have no doubt these companies want to preserve humanity's health and life but the process has been tainted.
How has it been tainted? You can claim to not be an anti-vaxxer but you’re falling into the anti-vaxxer rabbit hole.
So why was the NIH working on a vaccine in January when the virus wasn't a concern here?
Because they knew diseases spread and are not just concerned with diseases in the US.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here we go again, all "feel good" proposals with little consideration on reality.
We are in month 10 of a pandemic that "feel good" mentalities have extended thus far.
It's interesting how all these companies present their information to the public.
Pfizer - "Covid-19 Vaccine Is 90% Effective, Although Trials Are Ongoing - Nov 9, 2020, 10:22am EST

8 days later:

Moderna - initial Phase 3 data shows its COVID-19 vaccine is up to 94.5% effective 11/17/2020

then five days later:

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine shows an average 70% effectiveness in preventing the virus NOV 23 2020

Not an anti-vaxer because I got the polio sugar cube and got the small pox vaccination along with countless others. Those were developed in a different climate where political pressure wasn't waged upon the developers. Instead it was a believable concern for human health and life.

Remember in January (almost a year ago), when COVID was breaking out in China, NIH was already in the process to develop a vaccine:
"January 20, 2020 - The National Institutes of Health announces that it is working on a vaccine against the coronavirus. "The NIH is in the process of taking the first steps towards the development of a vaccine," says Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

Oh please be the miracle they claim to be so we all can get back to life as normal rather than this "28 Days Later" "Groundhog Day" existence.
I don’t think you understand what those percentages mean.
  • Pfizer released their prelim finding based on the first 94 people in the trial who were infected. 8 were in the vaccine group and 86 got the placebo so over 90% from the placebo group.
  • 2 weeks later the Pfizer trial reached 170 infections with 162 in the placebo group or 95% of cases. This is the data to be reviewed for emergency use authorization in December
  • Moderna released prelim data when their trial reached 95 infections with 90 from the placebo group or just under 95%.
In both cases the company has no control over how fast people get infected. They aren’t intentionally infecting people. Once they reached the threshold set the data is complied for application to the FDA. As @lazyboy97o pointed out the data is blinded to the companies until it’s reviewed by an independent board and then unblinded. So some experts have already seen the data and the formal application has been filed so some additional experts are currently reviewing Pfizer’s data. Moderna will likely reach the threshold for application soon and then their data will be reviewed.

Im not sure what’s tainted in the process. The FDA laid out their requirements before these trial started and the companies are following the requirements. Should they have not released results to the public? I prefer as much transparency as possible so I‘m happy all 3 companies immediately released results when they had them. AstraZeneca and JnJ should have US trial results by the end of the year or early January (if not sooner the way cases are exploding across the country).

correcaminos

8 days later:

then five days later:

You lost me at remarking on ongoing trials. You do know why they are ongoing for years right?

I'm not so sure I'd be comparing a polio vaccine to this either. Techology has changed... for the better.

Lastly this is NOT POLITICAL. Stop making things political when it is not (generic rant). Nothing has been tainted either. You may say you aren't an anti-vaxxer but your comments say you don't trust vaccines now. So in short you kinda are. Either you trust the methods or you don't. You don't pick and choose.

Heppenheimer

You lost me at remarking on ongoing trials. You do know why they are ongoing for years right?

I'm not so sure I'd be comparing a polio vaccine to this either. Techology has changed... for the better.

Lastly this is NOT POLITICAL. Stop making things political when it is not (generic rant). Nothing has been tainted either. You may say you aren't an anti-vaxxer but your comments say you don't trust vaccines now. So in short you kinda are. Either you trust the methods or you don't. You don't pick and choose.
It also bears repeating... in the midst of a pandemic where you can measure the case numbers in the 10s of millions, you can accumulate data for vaccine efficacy much faster than a disease like polio, which in the US at least, cases were usually in the 10s of thousands. If there is a sliver lining about a pandemic, its that the huge number of cases makes it much easier and faster to conduct very large drug and vaccine trials.

correcaminos

It also bears repeating... in the midst of a pandemic where you can measure the case numbers in the 10s of millions, you can accumulate data for vaccine efficacy much faster than a disease like polio, which in the US at least, cases were usually in the 10s of thousands. If there is a sliver lining about a pandemic, its that the huge number of cases makes it much easier and faster to conduct very large drug and vaccine trials.
Sadly absolutely (sadly in that so many are sick so quickly)

Call me crazy too but I have a lot of faith in these joint trials as well. If you don't trust the US, you have other countries to pick from.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Call me crazy too but I have a lot of faith in these joint trials as well. If you don't trust the US, you have other countries to pick from.

Oh yes, you could try the Russian Sputnik version or the Chinese one instead.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
She wasn’t talking about those vaccines. The same companies running vaccine trials here are running them in other countries simultaneously. If you don’t trust the Pfizer vaccine trial results in the US because you feel the process is politically tainted they are running a trial in Japan as well that is free from US politics.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Astra Zeneca is looking like option #3 out of 3 at this point...Moderna in the lead

Cause ‘Merica has really “lead the way” on this one...

Like marines storming Omaha beach 🙄

correcaminos

Astra Zeneca is looking like option #3 out of 3 at this point...Moderna in the lead

Cause ‘Merica has really “lead the way” on this one...

Like marines storming Omaha beach 🙄
Actually BioNTech is still in the lead. Which is German. Not sure why anyone equates it to war. If anything I see more working together for a globally good end goal.

They are an option yes, but there are many more and quite a few are joint ventures. Not sure why many fear so much though...

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I assume the vaccination will be given rapidly like the flu shots. In and out in 2 minutes. I can see it going very fast. I know Christmas is a reach, but I'll bet by the end of January, everyone will have one. I mean there are two companies giving this vaccine out, Moderna and Pfizer.

That's not how it works.
We've already been told not to expect it readily available for anyone who wants it until between March and June.

homerdance

8 days later:

then five days later:

FYI ...
https://www.mathsisfun.com/rounding...unding means making a number,76 goes up to 80.

Chef Mickey

Ah yes, now that we have several vaccines, we get the obligatory “not so fast” naysayers and “not that great” speak. So predictable.

Back to reality...This is a massive achievement for humanity, the incredible drug companies, and the people of the world. A vaccine means this is largely over and doomsday is off the table.

A couple months here or there doesn’t matter. Delivery will be figured out. This is WAY ahead of scheduled after many predicted years.

Things are already getting back to normal for many businesses (including Disney in many ways) and new safety protocols have made this manageable while we wait. This difference between today and March is stark.

Have some positivity. We are in great shape.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Ah yes, now that we have several vaccines, we get the obligatory “not so fast” naysayers and “not that great” speak. So predictable.

Back to reality...This is a massive achievement for humanity, the incredible drug companies, and the people of the world. A vaccine means this is largely over and doomsday is off the table.

A couple months here or there doesn’t matter. Delivery will be figured out. This is WAY ahead of scheduled after many predicted years.

Things are already getting back to normal for many businesses (including Disney in many ways) and new safety protocols have made this manageable while we wait. This difference between today and March is stark.

Have some positivity. We are in great shape.

I agree with most of your post however... The amount of normalcy varies GREATLY depending on where you live.
I'm staying optimistic that by late spring things really will be returning to normal but where I live we have taken a few steps in the wrong direction lately and a number of things are closed again and much of the reason for a rise in cases is defiance over science.
My area hasn't learned much from it having to shut down twice during the 1918 flu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom