New Tshirts at Epcot

Main Street USA

I'm also pretty sure that the more literal translation means to "move away from" the doors, not to stand clear.

I'll say this, though, when you stand in the monorail and listen to the spiel, you can hear the "n" quite clearly. Whether or not it is the correct way to speak it is another story. I've seen it in type and print many times with the "n" and never until now without. Someone that speaks spanish their entire life into their 30's and thinks that the "n" should be there has to have some reason for saying so. They certianly know the language as well as anyone else.

It's entirely possible that the correct way to do it and the way it's actually spoken on a day to day basis are different. It happens in the americanized version of english all the time. If we corrected someone everytime they mispoke the English language in the US we'd never talk about anything else.

Moustronaut

:lol:

Mantengar is not a word.

The word is mantener.

DOH! shows you how much high school spanish i remeber. :ROFLOL:

But now y'all got me wondering. So spanishdict.com has "mantenga" as "maintain" and also references "mantegase afuera" translated to "keep out". Searching on "mantengan" results in mantenga.

So I'm guessing "mantengase" is the proper spelling and maybe "mantenganse" is a regional thing? Or just nonstandard word that has crept into the language.

I mean how many times do you hear people say "irregardless". It's used as a word even though it isn't really a proper one.

DDuckFan130

I'm also pretty sure that the more literal translation means to "move away from" the doors, not to stand clear.

I'll say this, though, when you stand in the monorail and listen to the spiel, you can hear the "n" quite clearly. Whether or not it is the correct way to speak it is another story. I've seen it in type and print many times with the "n" and never until now without. Someone that speaks spanish their entire life into their 30's and thinks that the "n" should be there has to have some reason for saying so. They certianly know the language as well as anyone else.

It's entirely possible that the correct way to do it and the way it's actually spoken on a day to day basis are different. It happens in the americanized version of english all the time. If we corrected someone everytime they mispoke the English language in the US we'd never talk about anything else.
Not that I'm trying to discredit Maria because she knows Spanish better than I do, but my mom is 53 years old and comes from another country...I think she knows a thing or two also :lol:

It's like you said...different cultures will say things different ways. I hear words spoken by Cubans around here that have me :veryconfu but it's just their way of saying things. Of course it's to be expected to have variations on the language...but they're both correct.

DDuckFan130

DOH! shows you how much high school spanish i remeber. :ROFLOL:

But now y'all got me wondering. So spanishdict.com has "mantenga" as "maintain" and also references "mantegase afuera" translated to "keep out". Searching on "mantengan" results in mantenga.

So I'm guessing "mantengase" is the proper spelling and maybe "mantenganse" is a regional thing? Or just nonstandard word that has crept into the language.

I mean how many times do you hear people say "irregardless". It's used as a word even though it isn't really a proper one.
:lol:

It could be a regional thing. I think mantengase is the "you" form but the respectful "you" like "usted." Both work...let's move on :ROFLOL:

Main Street USA

Not that I'm trying to discredit Maria because she knows Spanish better than I do, but my mom is 53 years old and comes from another country...I think she knows a thing or two also :lol:

It's like you said...different cultures will say things different ways. I hear words spoken by Cubans around here that have me :veryconfu but it's just their way of saying things. Of course it's to be expected to have variations on the language...but they're both correct.
Oh, totally. I wasn't meaning to disrespect your mom at all! I'm srue the proper way to say it is without the "n." My point was only that it may not be the way it's actually said in the day to day language. There are a ton of circumstances in English, and I'm sure Spanish is the same way in that regard.

I can hear that "n", though, darnit! It's there in the authentic audio spiel!!! :D

Really, though...........cool shirts! The more WDW shirts we have in this world the better! Just change the dang castle!

DDuckFan130

Oh, totally. I wasn't meaning to disrespect your mom at all! I'm srue the proper way to say it is without the "n." My point was only that it may not be the way it's actually said in the day to day language. There are a ton of circumstances in English, and I'm sure Spanish is the same way in that regard.

I can hear that "n", though, darnit! It's there in the authentic audio spiel!!! :D
Oh I hear it too...I'm trying to say it without the damn "n" and I can't :ROFLOL:

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Well, when you figure out the N or no N thing, let me know so I can change my sig. :)

I went to Mouse Gear last night and picked up two shirts. Love the material, very soft. I was between the two monorail shirts but the DL castle on a WDW shirt really bothered me so I ended up getting the blue and the brown for the DW. Both with the classic WDW design. Very cool shirts.

Something that wasn't cool was the placement of the shirts in MG. It took forever for me to even find them. As opposed to the prominent display of the other retro shirts near the breezeway in the center of the store, these are in the corner near the fountain. Plus, they're on a display that surrounds a roof support and they're on the side that faces the wall. So if you're just walking through "normally", you'd miss them.

Jessica, can you do anything about this? Sorry I missed you last night. I looked everywhere. Even asked someone (he didn't know you). I was there around 4:15-4:30.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom