New Treehouses

Montyboy

Yes, that's my point. They are doing a good job not flattening everything in the their way. Traditionally, bulldozers and trees don't mix well.

BRER STITCH

Seems strange they are so quickly developing this site while the already constructed POP Century buildings continue to sit empty and begin to age. :veryconfu

Certainly these "pre-fabs" will be easy to spot once on property. Hopefully somebody will be able to get some good pics!

:wave:

Montyboy

Seems strange they are so quickly developing this site while the already constructed POP Century buildings continue to sit empty and begin to age. :veryconfu

Certainly these "pre-fabs" will be easy to spot once on property. Hopefully somebody will be able to get some good pics!

I was thinking the same thing about the POP Century buildings. We think that Disney (and other large companies) plan every move with precision. Yet they wasted all that money.

TheKeeler7

It's all about supply and demand. The Value resorts cater to those most affected by a slumping economy and high gas prices. The Tree houses will either be DVC in which the middle class is being sold on as a affordable way to take family vacations even in a down economy or will be a higher priced resort catering to those who can still afford a vacation. The general theory is that those that can afford something in a slumping economy usually are those that can afford higher end stuff to begin with.

cincinmouse

The construction in the photos looks new, but what is missing is any construction equipment or evidence of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if these buildings are being fabricated elsewhere and just show up one morning. It looks like they are being very careful with the disrupting the site.

The new prefab building are being made by Have Custom Homes as mention on a permit from this web site. The are a high end prefab home builder. Their website is below

http://www.havenhomes.com/Home/tabid/329/Default.aspx

slappy magoo

It's all about supply and demand. The Value resorts cater to those most affected by a slumping economy and high gas prices. The Tree houses will either be DVC in which the middle class is being sold on as a affordable way to take family vacations even in a down economy or will be a higher priced resort catering to those who can still afford a vacation. The general theory is that those that can afford something in a slumping economy usually are those that can afford higher end stuff to begin with.

Plus, all that DVC money is like instant cash. A regular Disney resort- especially a value resort - will make money eventually, but it's in the red for quite a while. Time share, the profit's made up front. And since these are pre-fab, they're probably not too expensive to build, even coming from a high-end builder.

This is, of course, assuming the treehouses are part of SSR/DVC. The land, I know, is DVC, and while I could be wrong, it seems that, whe you buy into time share, you're buying a teeny-tiny share of EVERYTHING that is part of the time share. If something's built on land you own a teeny tiny part of, then either you have access to it, or else if that land is "spun off" into something else, you suddenly own less than what you were told you own. Does that mean you're "owed" something, even if it's something "invisible" like stabilized maintenance fees?

My gut assumption? They'll technically be part of DVC/SSR but Disney itself will buy more interest in its own time share than they usually do, so they can rent them out at a premium.

What makes me suspect this won't be an issue for long? If what I'm reading is accurate, these are all 3 BR units. Which makes them comparable to Grand Villas. *I* don't have enough points for a decent-length stay in a grand villa, not without banking AND borrowing (or renting extra points). I'd love to check these units out, but it'll come at a price of a shorter trip or one trip to last a couple of years. Not impossible to fathom, but not fun either. And for diehard DVC members who aren't J.P. Gotrocks, I'd suspect they wouldn't risk fewer trips for a big room. No facts behind any of this, it's all me thinking out loud.

jt04

Are you saying that Disney built the value resorts a decade ago because they knew that there would be a slowdown in the economy (and high gas prices) in 2008?:shrug:

RiversideBunny

Are you saying that Disney built the value resorts a decade ago because they knew that there would be a slowdown in the economy (and high gas prices) in 2008?:shrug:

No, he's not saying that.
It's that the ROI on Value resorts is much lower at any time.

The thinking of WDW executives now must be that they already have enough Value resorts to be in the low end game and that any new investment money is going into DVC and/or Deluxe resorts where there is a significantly higher ROI (Return on Investment).

:king:

mrerk

Premium Member
Anything new on this? Is Vacation Club Way still closed during the day on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday? Any pics?

Unplugged

The land, I know, is DVC, and while I could be wrong, it seems that, whe you buy into time share, you're buying a teeny-tiny share of EVERYTHING that is part of the time share. If something's built on land you own a teeny tiny part of, then either you have access to it, or else if that land is "spun off" into something else, you suddenly own less than what you were told you own. Does that mean you're "owed" something, even if it's something "invisible" like stabilized maintenance fees?

I wanted to provide a little clarification, not directed at you, but more so for those unfamiliar with the timeshare & DVC process (I'm a DVC owner).

When you buy into a timeshare, it is a legal real estate purchase, so you are not buying into everything, you are buying into a specific location as stated on your contract. I am a "DVC Member" so I have a deed registered with the state of Florida that shows I own a small percentage of a specific unit in The Villas at Wilderness Lodge. DVC as a company or subsidiary of Disney can own lot's of things that are NOT owned by me or other members.

In your reference, DVC owns Saratoga and the tree house properties. They sell portions of the individual units that are built. (i.e. You may own 0.13% of unit 301 in building 5.)

These fractional ownerships (size) is determined by the DVC point system which is unique to DVC. They manage the back end exchange system (staying at other resorts than that which you own, cruises, etc.). DVC (not the members) also maintains a specific amount of inventory at each resort that gets sold on a reservation basis to the resorts. This income subsidizes the maintenance fees owners have. Maintenence includes physical building upkeep, grounds keeping, property taxes, etc.

So, long story longer, DVC may own the property, but folks like me do not.

shoppingnut

The thinking of WDW executives now must be that they already have enough Value resorts to be in the low end game and that any new investment money is going into DVC and/or Deluxe resorts where there is a significantly higher ROI (Return on Investment).

:king:

This is probably their thinking, but as we all know their thinking most of the time is something that isn't thought through properly. While you have been wooing guests to your value and moderate resorts with free DME and getting them to stay on property and not renting a car, what they are not realizing is these guests are fickle and while it's nice to stay on property, they've stayed off before and have no problem doing so again. The value resort guest will easily go off property and your moderate resort guest will now downgrade to value, so you end up with a lot of moderate rooms not being rented and many more people moving off property and spending time and money not in disney.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Is that a protected "wetland" or does it have to do with ordinances that do not allow "new" building in a designated flood plain? I believe it is because it's in a 100 year flood zone.
So is the MK parking lot. There's gonna be a lot of upset guests when this flood arrives!

You bumped why? Do you have new info?

Perhaps hunting for an update? :shrug:

Joepic

wow, definitely interesting. You can't forget that the treehouses are still currently being used by international College Program students (correct me if i'm wrong)

also, about not starting the POP buildings - it's a lot easier to work on a few treehouses, wouldn't you think? Besides, if they will be used for DVC, it is "instant cash" - like someone said earlier. I can't wait to see them finished.

Space Mountain

ICPs are NOT in the Treehouses currently. WDW stopped using them earlier this year. Also, there is construction equipment all over in there and the main gate has been removed. All that is left is the construction fencing, as well as fencing with green tarp around the parimeter.

mrerk

Premium Member
Any pics? I can't believe in 5 weeks no one has seen one of these prefabs going in. Is the road still closed between OKW and SSR during the day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom