New Transportation?

Disney4648

Yea and if Disney were to get rid of the monorails just think that Disney would have to buy or lease busses to the 3 Monorail Resorts and it would be a waste of time and money. Of course they could add a walking path and use the ferry boats but it wouldnt work out.

Invero

Originally posted by monorail256

due to the fact that you are someone i now look up to, i will listen to you... i like the new busses to... just as long as they dont take away my monorails.. i know i had an atitude earlier... and im sorry.. its just those monorails... the looks, the colors... (sounds as tho im attracted to them eh?) lol Tyler should know.. so ill listen to him

Disney would NEVER take away the Monorails... so never fear.

Yes, the new Nova busses are nice. They drive much nicer than the RTS busses, and they can MOVE too... lol... :)

CDavid

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
I'm sure those of you that have been to Disney within the past year have noticed that Disney has been getting in new Nova low-floor busses to replace our aging RTS busses. One thing I found interesting... Disney did not purchase the Nova busses, but rather did a 5 year lease.

Tyler,
When Pop Century finally opens, are there enough of these new buses to meet the transportation requirments for the new resort? If older buses were replaced with the Nova models, shall I assume WDW still has about the same number of buses as before?

Just wondering if more new buses (purchased or leased) are in WDW's near future.

Also, I'll agree Disney bus transportation is not the bad thing many guests make it out to be. I wish I had a bus here at home to pick me up near my front door and drop me right at work, which is exactly the service Disney provides it's guests. Much better than fighting the traffic at park closing, too! Sure, I'd love an expanded monorail, and hope it happens eventually, but I'll take a Disney bus anytime.

Invero

Re: Re: New Transportation?

Originally posted by CDavid
Tyler,
When Pop Century finally opens, are there enough of these new buses to meet the transportation requirments for the new resort? If older buses were replaced with the Nova models, shall I assume WDW still has about the same number of buses as before?

Just wondering if more new buses (purchased or leased) are in WDW's near future.

The opening of Pop Century will require approx 50 extra busses running. Disney has about 48 new Nova's that have either arrived already, or are in the process of arriving. These new busses are in addition to the current fleet of RTS busses that we already have. We do have a few busses that are slated to be decomissioned... Most of them are training busses or Cast Shuttle busses. I beleive with all this we'll have approx 263 total busses.

Once our latest order of busses has been delivered, I'm willing to bet that Disney will order more...

Monorail Lime

I don't know where all this talk about the monorail system being removed came from, but it isn't going to happen. When the Magic Kingdom closes at night, there are thousands of people wanting to get back to their vehicles. With good loaders and drivers the express monorail line can move over 10,000 people in an hour. There is NO WAY they could do that with busses or boats! Removing the monorail system would be very expensive because they'd need another form of transportation to the TTC or they'd need to build a new parking next to the Kingdom. The monorails are here to stay!

Chad

Didn't you hear? They're just gonna pave over the lagoon, and make it a parking lot, so they won't need the monorail...But don't worry, It's gonna be BLUE asphalt, so it looks like water..

I do think they should atleast Make 2 train routes..One connecting both Fort Wilderness (Have one station at pioneer hall) and The WIlderness lodge w/ the TTC, and another line going to Dixie Landings (riverside and Port Orleans) And Caribean and Key West, connecting those resorts with the TTC. Trains Are MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper then Monorails..And can do about the same job, and are more Thematically correct..ecspecially in the wilderness resorts..This would become the Epcot/Magic Kingdom circuit, since you can get to either of them without using a bus

Then, Build another TTC somewhere between AK and MGM and connect the remaining resorts too it, in much the same way. So basically, you'd have two different 'Circuits'..If you are staying..say at Coronado Springs (which happens to be my favorite) and you want to go to MGM, then you could just board the (train or monorail or whatever is chosen for MGM) and go..But If you want to go to Epcot or Magic Kingdom, then you'd board a TTC Bus, which would take you to the other circuit, that way you'd only have to make two transfers at the most, and the bus system would be simplified..Each resort would only have ONE bus stop, and thats for the opposing TTC.

Also, I'm curious as to if Tapering back on the busses would actually PAY FOR ITSELF after awhile..I mean, Monorails take far less staff to run (as would trains) and busses employ Hundreads of people as drivers.. Just a thought..If you guys want, I could make a picture of my plans..

BTW, the other *New* resort on the monorail line Is supposed to be the Venetian

Pioneer Hall

A monorail expansion is very unlikely because of the cost. The only way it can really go through is if the monorail gets a sponsor. That would probably never happen though because the monorail doesn't make any money since it is free to ride.

wishiwere@wdw

I would pay more to use a resort monorail instead of the busses. How is this not revenue generating? Sorry, but I can walk out my office door and hop on a bus that is 100% identical to the new busses at WDW. I'm supposedly in "another" world when I'm on vacation and the busses simply take away from this. Also, they are not always efficient. We waited at times more than 30 minutes for a bus at CB and then it was packed with no seats or AC. Monorails are a good investment because they improve guest satisfaction, require fewer employees, and are more efficient and probably use less energy on the dollar. How many pictures are there with the Monorail going through the Contemporary or past Spaceship Earth? You don't see pictures with the busses do you? Simply put, the guests love the Monorails and they waited too long to expand. Now it is a MAJOR task to catch up and they will never be able to afford it at once. Sorry, I get very emotional about this topic:)

Originally posted by CaptChris
I just discovered this website yesterday, and I was amazed at the plans that I read about for a new transportation system. I was at WDW in August of 2001, but had not seen or heard about any large scale plans.

Does anybody know anything about this? I would be most interested in finding out.
\
what websiteare u talkin bout

Thespis

I don't really mind the busses in general, and I like the new busses although they don't seem to hold as many people (not scientific, just an impression...) I'd rather they buy enough busses than bring back that horse-trailer looking thing they used to drag out when it got really busy. Anybody ever ride that?
I think the logical, long-term plan would be a minimum number of busses (only where absolutely needed) feeding into a light rail system which would absorb the bulk of the traffic. The light rail system would feed into the TTC, MGM, AK and Epcot.

Chad

I like thespis's Idea, Light rail (Trains and such) with minimal bus use, and some new monorail (but not much more) would be the best bet..

CaptChris

Original Poster
Horse trailer type buses

Originally posted by Thespis
I don't really mind the busses in general, and I like the new busses although they don't seem to hold as many people (not scientific, just an impression...) I'd rather they buy enough busses than bring back that horse-trailer looking thing they used to drag out when it got really busy. Anybody ever ride that?
I think the logical, long-term plan would be a minimum number of busses (only where absolutely needed) feeding into a light rail system which would absorb the bulk of the traffic. The light rail system would feed into the TTC, MGM, AK and Epcot.

I rode that horse trailer type bus in 1996 as a guest in the All Star Sports. I about died when it pulled up to the bus stop!

wdwcrazy

Does anyone remember Walt's idea for giant peoplemovers for Epcot? I think that would be a really good idea for maybe transporting people from park to park. They worked on the same technology as Tommrowland Transit Authority, but a lot bigger and hold a lot more people.

tinkrbel

Originally posted by Justin149

i think thats an excellent idea, throw some advertisements on the monorail to reduce costs, it would destract from the peaceful ness of the monorail, but if it would enable expansion , then i say go for it.

-justin-

your right ..it would take something away from the monorail ride, audio ads might not be so bad.

monorail256

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
Does anyone remember Walt's idea for giant peoplemovers for Epcot? I think that would be a really good idea for maybe transporting people from park to park. They worked on the same technology as Tommrowland Transit Authority, but a lot bigger and hold a lot more people.

they might have to move a bit faster than tta... haha.. but it would be cool! and as for audio ads... they would be good... but... i dont know how much id like mr. por favor.. saying "this ride was made possible by a generous grant from mcdonalds" ... lol :brick:

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by CaptChris
I just discovered this website yesterday, and I was amazed at the plans that I read about for a new transportation system. I was at WDW in August of 2001, but had not seen or heard about any large scale plans.

Does anybody know anything about this? I would be most interested in finding out.

A friend in transportation told me that disney had the monorail supports up from the epcot line to the gate of mgm. He said Disney wont spend the money to complete the loop and buy new monorails which cost $1,000,000 each. One day they plan to run it to all parks. The orgional plan for the Swan and Dalphin was to have a monorail run through it but the idea was later scrubbed. I see only one major problem with their transportation in WDW is that the most filled resorts (All Star) has the least amount of buses. I waited at Downtown Disney for an hour for a bus to the All Star Movies. I had to call my friend at transportation to tell him to send some buses for myself and the other 100 people waiting for buses to the same resort. During this time we saw tons of empty buses for Disney Institute. They need to redo their entire bus system.

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by tinkrbel

your right ..it would take something away from the monorail ride, audio ads might not be so bad.

Yeah but I would miss
"Please stand clear of the doors...
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom