New Transportation?

CaptChris

Original Poster
I just discovered this website yesterday, and I was amazed at the plans that I read about for a new transportation system. I was at WDW in August of 2001, but had not seen or heard about any large scale plans.

Does anybody know anything about this? I would be most interested in finding out.

Justin149

yea, disney though they already do a pretty decent job with transportaion definetly need to expand their transportaion resourses, starting with more buses doing resort loops. Also disney really needs to expand the monorail system. Imagine being able to take the monorail to animal kingdom or disney studios, that would just be really cool.

-justin-

wdwcrazy

Disney needs to realy less on busses and more on monorails. Monorails are more efficent, don't pollute and are just more fun. I really wish they would update the monorail system.

Justin149

yea monoraials might be more fun and better, but realisticly they are a huge expense and won't benifit the the parks as much, transportaion wise than busses

-justin-

Invero

Originally posted by CaptChris
I just discovered this website yesterday, and I was amazed at the plans that I read about for a new transportation system. I was at WDW in August of 2001, but had not seen or heard about any large scale plans.

Does anybody know anything about this? I would be most interested in finding out.

All I can really say is that there will be no major changes in Disney Transport for at least the next 5 years, if not more. I know y'all don't particularly care for the Busses... but that's the way Disney is heading.

Another tidbit that I'll add... I'm sure those of you that have been to Disney within the past year have noticed that Disney has been getting in new Nova low-floor busses to replace our aging RTS busses. One thing I found interesting... Disney did not purchase the Nova busses, but rather did a 5 year lease.

What that means? Who knows. It could mean that Disney is just trying out the Nova busses to see if they like them. Or it could mean that Disney has other transportation plans. I really don't know. Only time will tell :)

monorail256

Originally posted by Justin149
yea monoraials might be more fun and better, but realisticly they are a huge expense and won't benifit the the parks as much, transportaion wise than busses

-justin-

i suggest we ask the expert tyler (fantasia boi)... he'd know.. and i just dont know what people wouldn't want monorails... they are so nice :D

theSnowman

I read recently (can't remember where) that they were looking into expanding the monorail system, but found out it would cost $1 billion dollars!!! Thats 9 zero's folks. So they scrapped the idea.

Chad

Would you all be willing to watch 2-5 minutes of commercials while in the Monorail?

I think that would be a logical step for affording the monorails, and I can't really think of any other way Eisner and Co. would allow it to happen..And I don't blame them, either..It's a HUGE expense without any REAL noticeable income..It's almost like they're throwing away money for the fun of it..(Which is what Walt did, but thats why he'll be remembered)

monorail256

they have ads in the busses.... i dont see why they couldnt put some sort of ad in the monorail.... it would help pay.. but i dont think they will ever get rid of the monorail.. so lets stop talking like they are going to trash the whole system.. it gets me nervous!! lol :hammer:

Chad

Did anyone mention destroying?

I think we're all just talking about expansion..WHich seems doubtful..

I think a combo of Trains and Monorails would be good..
It would be cool to ride a neatly themed train to Animal Kingdom (would help with the realism) and ride a Subway into MGM..Both would be less expensive and still fun, and more realiable and effecient. Then, connect hotels and Downtown Disney with Monorails..Just my opinion..

monorail256

im not gonna say anything... except... trains? subways? you guys are talking about how expensive it would be to add on to the monorails... but building trains and subways all over the place.. wouldnt that be expensive?! like disney would really do that... i couldnt live w/o mr.por favor... im getting mad now so im going to stop.. and not read this thread anymore :eek:

Justin149

Originally posted by Chad
Would you all be willing to watch 2-5 minutes of commercials while in the Monorail?

I think that would be a logical step for affording the monorails, and I can't really think of any other way Eisner and Co. would allow it to happen..And I don't blame them, either..It's a HUGE expense without any REAL noticeable income..It's almost like they're throwing away money for the fun of it..(Which is what Walt did, but thats why he'll be remembered)

i think thats an excellent idea, throw some advertisements on the monorail to reduce costs, it would destract from the peaceful ness of the monorail, but if it would enable expansion , then i say go for it.

-justin-

Invero

There has been talk about adding Monorail routes since the late 80's... they've even gone so far as to bring in transportation experts, submit a few design plans, run some ideas past focus groups, and whatnot. They have researched this to death.

A agree with you... it'd be a great thing to have more monorails. And I know the guests would love the idea.

However... it simply isn't practical. Like Chad said... it's almost like throwing away money. Transportation is a non-revenue generating department. It doesn't make sense to drop an extremely large chunk of money into something that won't even come CLOSE to making it back.

Now here's something for those of you who are Disney Stock holders... if Disney were to invest that amount of money into a major transportation system like expanding the monorail -- that would seriously affect the blue chip status of Disney's stock... That's not a good thing.

Finances set aside... I know a lot of you don't want to hear this... but in Disney's instance, busses are just better. Resorts were simply not designed to handle a Monorail. Also, because of the way guest traffic flows... and the way it would have to be set up... I can pretty much guarantee you, it would be a NIGHTMARE.

I could go into a long indepth explaination on why... but for now, you'll just have to take my word on it, speaking as a Disney Transport cast member who has worked in both Busses and Monorails.

-Tyler-

Main Street USA

I like the new busses. Those suckers are huge indside! I was always dissapointed when one of the older buses picked us up last year.

The buses are not as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Monorails certainly transport more people at once, but the buses are doing a fine job. What exactly is it that everyone hates about the buses?

CaptChris

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great info.

It would seem like an extreme waste of resources to expand a monorail, when that money could be used to build many e-rides!

The new low-pro buses may be the way to go. I know some airports have them and they run on propane which is more environmentally safe then diesel. I don't know if Disney's are propane burners or diesel burners.

Anyway, as the resort expands, changes and modifications to the transportation network must be made to ensure the customer service that Disney strives to acheive.

monorail256

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
There has been talk about adding Monorail routes since the late 80's... they've even gone so far as to bring in transportation experts, submit a few design plans, run some ideas past focus groups, and whatnot. They have researched this to death.

A agree with you... it'd be a great thing to have more monorails. And I know the guests would love the idea.

However... it simply isn't practical. Like Chad said... it's almost like throwing away money. Transportation is a non-revenue generating department. It doesn't make sense to drop an extremely large chunk of money into something that won't even come CLOSE to making it back.

Now here's something for those of you who are Disney Stock holders... if Disney were to invest that amount of money into a major transportation system like expanding the monorail -- that would seriously affect the blue chip status of Disney's stock... That's not a good thing.

Finances set aside... I know a lot of you don't want to hear this... but in Disney's instance, busses are just better. Resorts were simply not designed to handle a Monorail. Also, because of the way guest traffic flows... and the way it would have to be set up... I can pretty much guarantee you, it would be a NIGHTMARE.

I could go into a long indepth explaination on why... but for now, you'll just have to take my word on it, speaking as a Disney Transport cast member who has worked in both Busses and Monorails.

-Tyler-

due to the fact that you are someone i now look up to, i will listen to you... i like the new busses to... just as long as they dont take away my monorails.. i know i had an atitude earlier... and im sorry.. its just those monorails... the looks, the colors... (sounds as tho im attracted to them eh?) lol Tyler should know.. so ill listen to him

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom