New Train Station Sign

Phil12

My mom has lived here since 66 and she still refers to the MK as "Disney".... having said that this is so stupid as it shouldn't have been done by TDO and the fans also shouldn't be upset over something like this. ( I I personally loved the elevation sign). But, like I said earlier, the entire main entrance has been ruined by metal detectors and the added fence.
Yeah, but you're a pilot so you need that elevation sign so you don't hit something in the MK.

TP2000

I guess my biggest wonder is the fact that since there is a Magic Kingdom in Anaheim, and it was there first, how come this one was THE Magic Kingdom??

Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom was used as a description for Disneyland since before the park opened, and continued to be used in print and TV advertising from the 1950's onward. Disneyland's marketing tagline was The Happiest Place On Earth came a year or so after opening, and is still used. But the Magic Kingdom description stuck as a way to call Disneyland something other than Disneyland. Even today the Disneyland Railroad announcements booming out from train stations proclaim "Now arriving from a grand circle tour of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom..." and the CM's on the Mark Twain or Storybook Land Canal Boats over their PA systems reference "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom".

e3fee015e56cabe74acc602d3b3df18b.jpg

When it came to Florida, I think they didn't quite know what to call the theme park at WDW when it opened in '71, and since they were so heavily promoting the Florida property as "Walt Disney World" with emphasis on the theme park, they just slapped The Magic Kingdom on the sign and called it good. Everyone just called it Disney World anyway.

The park in Anaheim has always been called "Disneyland" (but affectionately known as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom", but never officially called "Magic Kingdom").

Agreed. Although on occasion in the very early years, you can find mentions of the park as simply "Magic Kingdom" without the "Walt Disney's" in front of it. Here's the Disneyland News at the end of the first summer in September, 1955 with a mention of how many people had already visited the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland. Interesting!

wizard_dlnews.gif

articos

Walt had a habit of referring to things with "the". The Florida project. The Disney World. The Magic Kingdom. He referred to Disneyland as Disneyland, no The, because I assume it sounded weird. The press assigned Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, although he generally would only refer to it as Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom, colloquially. More often, it was Disneyland. The Florida Magic Kingdom was The Magic Kingdom, however. Whoever redid the sign either was under new orders or didn't know their history: the population and elevations are part of the storytelling and place making, putting you in the small town atmosphere of early 1900s Main Street, USA.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

You must have missed the part where I showed how 7.5 billion people don't agree on everything. What you consider petty might not be to others. The better question to be asked is why is your opinion on what's petty more valid than those who don't agree with you? And why not just scroll on by when you see this type of discussion? Not picking here, just wondering.
I'm sorry, but, I don't understand that concept. Let me see if I got this right. I should just scroll on past something, on a discussion board, because I don't agree with it. Sounds like Washington! If someone states something that makes no sense to me, I should just pass by it, because that "other" opinion is the only legitimate one? Or, is it more because there is no valid argument for the original statement and instead of having a solid, fact based reason for the criticism, in this case of the stupid sign, then everyone should just accept it or move on, even though it might be giving out erroneous information in the process? Nope, don't see it that way. What is stopping you from just scrolling on past what I post. Is the motivation any different really?

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Walt had a habit of referring to things with "the". The Florida project. The Disney World. The Magic Kingdom. He referred to Disneyland as Disneyland, no The, because I assume it sounded weird. The press assigned Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, although he generally would only refer to it as Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom, colloquially. More often, it was Disneyland. The Florida Magic Kingdom was The Magic Kingdom, however. Whoever redid the sign either was under new orders or didn't know their history.the population and elevations are part of the storytelling and place making, putting you in the small town atmosphere of early 1900s Main Street, USA.

Precisely so

mikenatcity1

Is it bad that I never really noticed "the"? I have been more times than I can count but never noticed it. I have always (as an adult) called it "The Magic Kingdom" (as a kid in the 80s it was always "Disney World"). I don't hear many people call it THE...it seems only diehards. I am more saddened by the curtains in the window(s) that block out some of the writing. I am hopeful to see other pics of this to see if the quality is still the same (or poorer). I look at it that at least they are updating/spending money on the park...it could be and has been a lot worse. I'm hopeful for an upswing. Of course, all of this from someone who doesn't have any plans in 2017 to visit said park :)

Goofyernmost

Is it bad that I never really noticed "the"? I have been more times than I can count but never noticed it. I have always (as an adult) called it "The Magic Kingdom" (as a kid in the 80s it was always "Disney World"). I don't hear many people call it THE...it seems only diehards. I am more saddened by the curtains in the window(s) that block out some of the writing. I am hopeful to see other pics of this to see if the quality is still the same (or poorer). I look at it that at least they are updating/spending money on the park...it could be and has been a lot worse. I'm hopeful for an upswing. Of course, all of this from someone who doesn't have any plans in 2017 to visit said park :)
No, it's normal, the other borders on OCD.

Bocabear

No, it's normal, the other borders on OCD.
Noticing intentionally placed details does not make you OCD, just observant. If you don't notice, that is fine... but many of us do notice the finer details and storytelling...that is the brilliant thng about that park that tells the story on many levels...Some people see it, others just see another slightly nicer Six Flags park... I personally love the small details and think that is what makes the difference.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is a truly fascinating conversation. I can appreciate the passion around the small details that for many symbolize the Walt Disney legacy, but I also appreciate the effort being put into updating the parks. I'm wondering if there's a generational divide here.

Bocabear

This is a truly fascinating conversation. I can appreciate the passion around the small details that for many symbolize the Walt Disney legacy, but I also appreciate the effort being put into updating the parks. I'm wondering if there's a generational divide here.
i don't think those things need to mutually exclusive...By all means update the parks without losing the finer details... removing the extra words from the sign did nothing to "update" the park...maybe it was cheaper than painting the whole sign, but it did nothing to "Update" anything...just removed a layer of detail...

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Noticing intentionally placed details does not make you OCD, just observant. If you don't notice, that is fine... but many of us do notice the finer details and storytelling...that is the brilliant thng about that park that tells the story on many levels...Some people see it, others just see another slightly nicer Six Flags park... I personally love the small details and think that is what makes the difference.

Every website and guide book I've read specifically urges you to "slow down and look at the details" because the details set the parks apart. Appreciating the artwork and attention put into the details does not make you OCD. Having a nostalgic connection to those details is also normal, imo.

Goofyernmost

It's not noticing it originally that is OCD, it is being upset when it changes. When it become an apocalyptic event because they made a grammatical correction adjustment and a minor change in design that makes it OCD.

Monorail_Red_77

The current sign seems to tie closer to the RR, more common and authentic of a destination/station sign you'd see just telling you what station you're at. THE wouldn't make sense in this type of signage. I believe the design aesthetics are more authentic to the Main Street USA period as well. the Pop and Elevation were cute details, but not accurately depicted. The argument that Walt Disney Word had been removed is also a bit misleading, as the photo shows by the OP, directly below the new sign, says Walt Disney World Railroad (which has been added from the original area in question). Just FoMO on my part, glad to contribute ;)
What you are seeing that says "Walt Disney World Railroad" is actually the top of the train that is just about to leave the station. It is not part of the sign.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom