New traffic light system coming to World Drive near the Magic Kingdom auto plaza

GrumpyFan

How about this? There's a diagonal path that cuts thru a little further up the road, and runs into part of the STOL port. Re-route the roads to use this path as shown below, then just remove the remainder of World Drive, as shown. Wouldn't something like this be a lot cheaper than an overpass?

WDWWorldDrive.JPG

How about this? There's a diagonal path that cuts thru a little further up the road, and runs into part of the STOL port. Re-route the roads to use this path as shown below, then just remove the remainder of World Drive, as shown. Wouldn't something like this be a lot cheaper than an overpass?

View attachment 93555

So cars and buses coming from the plaza would have to curve right then turn left across traffic to get to MK and Contemporary? If I am reading this right.

That would be pretty hectic around park closing for the buses still.

GrumpyFan

So cars and buses coming from the plaza would have to curve right then turn left across traffic to get to MK and Contemporary? If I am reading this right.

That would be pretty hectic around park closing for the buses still.

Is there a lot of traffic in this area at closing? I don't know that I've been around it too much or noticed. But, I agree, it is a bit of a ziz-zag for traffic heading toward MK and the resort.
Alternatively, they could just move the orange lane, which is mostly used by busses (as far as I've seen), and then they wouldn't have to deal with the busy intersection. They would have a turn to make, crossing over the road where traffic is heading in the opposite direction, but it would be in an area that's not as congested. Then, if a light were necessary, it would be a little farther north, so it would impact traffic at the toll gates.

Monorail_Red_77

No to mention people that actually know how to use a traffic circle. They have been installing them here in Jacksonville for the last few years. I go through 3 on a regular basis and the number of people that just vapor lock at the sight of them is staggering.

A flyover would be the best solution, but I am not sure if it is possible giving the tight quarters and the adjacent monorail track.

We have one in the town I work in. It is a double lane round-about. I hate it!!!! They built within 1,500 feet of a stop light on a four-lane road. So at 5pm rush hour the traffic backs up into the round-about and into each of the feeding roads that feed the round-about. Then you have people that feel they deserve to push on through the mess and nearly either get hit or lay on the horn till someone tries to move.

Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to move five feet.

I think it is funny when those people come through. I usually laugh and point at them, so they see me doing it to them.

In our location I do not think it should have been made though. Plus with the multitude of people not knowing how to drive in it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mm121

Max road grade is 12%. A more realistic grade is 6%-7%. The minimum recommended standard clearance for an overpass is 14' in an urban area. 17' is the preferred clearance.

If we go max grade minimum clearance and use a fairly normal 3' deep beam and roadway You will need at least 1700' of roadway where the flyover crosses the grade level road and another 1700' to get back to grade.

If we go with a more standard grade of 7% and the keep with the 14' clearance your are looking at 2400' on each side of the roadway or just under a mile long flyover.

Can you sketch up something using those numbers and see if it will fit?
i'm sure things could be made to fit if needed.

if there isn't enough clearance currently.. then simply exit the traffic sooner rather than at the current parking plaza to allow more space for it to grade up.

or do a it half under the current ground level so 10 feet up 7 feet down. which cuts the needed distances in half.
As opposed to going under an already present body of water like there is down the road.

Regardless, a light will stop people from trying to kill each other getting across this road for now. I'm sure Disney already has the next step decided after that, if there is one.

well the underpass under water was built back at the beginning when disney cared about how things looked and felt rather than going with the cheapest solution.

hence why we never have and probably never will see an expanded monorail or the creation of an alternative mass transit system of some type any type other than busses

BigThunderMatt

We have one in the town I work in. It is a double lane round-about. I hate it!!!!

You think that's bad? When I was in high school they built this little monstrosity in the next town over:
Lee Road.jpg

Now imagine that filled with Brazilian tourists driving vehicles and tell me you'd EVER want to see a traffic circle on Disney property (not saying that you did but just in a general sense).

Monorail_Red_77

i'm sure things could be made to fit if needed.

if there isn't enough clearance currently.. then simply exit the traffic sooner rather than at the current parking plaza to allow more space for it to grade up.

or do a it half under the current ground level so 10 feet up 7 feet down. which cuts the needed distances in half.

well the underpass under water was built back at the beginning when disney cared about how things looked and felt rather than going with the cheapest solution.

hence why we never have and probably never will see an expanded monorail or the creation of an alternative mass transit system of some type any type other than busses

This is so sad on many levels.

PhotoDave219

A light there is long overdue.
Indeed it is. I think now it is reaching a point where it is starting to impact the bus system. The busses frequently stack up there, and the only chance they have of crossing is if another WDW bus is leaving the auto plaza and basically stops in the middle of the road to let the other busses out.

Well they're having multiple car accidents a week at that location. Thats a giant issue as well.

Monorail_Red_77

You think that's bad? When I was in high school they built this little monstrosity in the next town over:
View attachment 93562

Now imagine that filled with Brazilian tourists driving vehicles and tell me you'd EVER want to see a traffic circle on Disney property (not saying that you did but just in a general sense).

Yea, If I saw this. I'd turn around an go home. LOL No matter how cool things look on paper. Some things should never be built.

Monorail_Red_77

If our round-about isn't bad enough. They are in talks to build a new interstate interchange at an existing overpass. And , get this. They are going to use a new system called a double-diamond. Apparently the traffic stops at intersections on either side of the overpass bridge and then as they go through the signal light they are switched into lanes that are running the opposite direction. So for example: you are traveling east bound in the left lanes. You go through the light and are sent into the right side lanes. You get to the second light and are then sent back into the left side lanes. The idea is to eliminate the need to restrict left hand turns that cross traffic. Now I can tell you that there are going to be many people that make this new thing a big ol' mess.

Slipknot

Being that I use this intersection almost on a daily basis, better late than never and better something to help the traffic than nothing. Especially when drivers use the middle toll lanes and cut off all the cars and buses already in the far right lane(s).

Monorail_Red_77

Being that I use this intersection almost on a daily basis, better late than never and better something to help the traffic than nothing. Especially when drivers use the middle toll lanes and cut off all the cars and buses already in the far right lane(s).

I agree. Something is better than nothing. I think that this will be a temporary fix. Hopefully they will soon clean up the whole area with this intersection and the toll booths soon with some re-construction.

Just glad they didn't say. Ahh, we are almost ready to start work on the parking plaza, that intersection problem can wait a bit longer.

peachykeen

Much needed (at least it's a step.) If I am coming through the MK toll plaza and I see the road in question is backed up, I try to go very slowly and allow a few cars/busses to pass through. I never fully stop though because then no one knows what's going on.

The only intersection on property (I guess on and off property) that scares me more than this one is the one leaving DU/MK cast parking, turning onto Reams Road. It's so bad I regularly see FHP troopers there standing in the road directing traffic.

Monorail_Red_77

Do you mean a diverging diamond interchange? We have three in Georgia - one of which I have used a few times. The first time I exited onto the interchange, it was very simple to understand. Definitely not a mess.

I also drive through several round-abouts in my normal commute. At the busier intersections, traffic still is a bit slow, but much better than the four-way stop. They are still new, and people are getting used to them. I think they would be more effective if much larger - similar to what you find in Europe. And, people need to learn how to signal for the exit. That really would help traffic flow more smoothly.

Yes that is correct. I know they are easy to use. I am referring to people that don't get out much to drive. You know the ones that go at red lights and stop at green lights.

Just last week I witnessed a driver come to an almost full stop and then turn left across traffic. Side note, they were not using the middle turn lane at all. Nearly caused two lanes to wreck.

I know that most people can drive circles and diverging diamonds with no issues. It is the ones that should not be driving that are causing the majority of the issues. Some places seems to have a higher concentration of these type of drivers.

MaryJaneP

We are reminded of what the opposite of progress is. So what is the opposite of temporary? And we do not mean permanent. Lol

Phil12

No to mention people that actually know how to use a traffic circle. They have been installing them here in Jacksonville for the last few years. I go through 3 on a regular basis and the number of people that just vapor lock at the sight of them is staggering.

A flyover would be the best solution, but I am not sure if it is possible giving the tight quarters and the adjacent monorail track.
Tear down the monorail track and put in the flyover. After all, the monorail has got to come down sooner or later anyway.

mm121

View attachment 93562
I think this actually looks good
Yea, If I saw this. I'd turn around an go home. LOL No matter how cool things look on paper. Some things should never be built.
check out this if the one above freaks you out

behold the MAGIC ROUNDABOUT
rotatoriamagica.jpg
Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

If our round-about isn't bad enough. They are in talks to build a new interstate interchange at an existing overpass. And , get this. They are going to use a new system called a double-diamond. Apparently the traffic stops at intersections on either side of the overpass bridge and then as they go through the signal light they are switched into lanes that are running the opposite direction. So for example: you are traveling east bound in the left lanes. You go through the light and are sent into the right side lanes. You get to the second light and are then sent back into the left side lanes. The idea is to eliminate the need to restrict left hand turns that cross traffic. Now I can tell you that there are going to be many people that make this new thing a big ol' mess.
Ive seen the plans for those, and they could be a bit dangerous as people have enough trouble driving on the correct side of the road as is.
Do you mean a diverging diamond interchange? We have three in Georgia - one of which I have used a few times. The first time I exited onto the interchange, it was very simple to understand. Definitely not a mess.

I also drive through several round-abouts in my normal commute. At the busier intersections, traffic still is a bit slow, but much better than the four-way stop. They are still new, and people are getting used to them. I think they would be more effective if much larger - similar to what you find in Europe. And, people need to learn how to signal for the exit. That really would help traffic flow more smoothly.
roundabouts are cool, and they work well in other countries,

no reason for us not to explore new ways of traffic management.

in carmel indiana they redid an entire stretch of road intersections that were a series of bad stoplights and made them look like this. it actually works quite well once drivers got use to it
showimage.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom